7 Good

Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA

Newport, Tennessee

240 KOA Lane
Newport, Tennessee 37821

Ask fellow campers about "Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $45.00

This is a typical KOA in that it is right on the highway and you do hear some road noise. But the sites are shady and not too close together. We have stopped here several times and have always been happy with it. Plenty of space to walk your dog. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $35.00

Typical KOA campground, which for us means very positive. The people were very friendly. The site was quite satisfactory. We were only there for one night, passing through. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $39.00

We stayed one travel night. Overall this RV park barely rates fair ...tired and a bit run down. The sites are just OK and fairly level. They could use more gravel/rock to cover sites. Location a bit off of I-40 so you hear highway noise when outside on the patio but not overly noticeable when in RV. One issue is their sub-par cable TV set up. It requires an adapter to be plugged into the back of your TV which is very problematic if (like us) you have a flat mounted TV that is not on a swing out bracket. So Cable TV is essentially worthless here. Also, their office store was completely out of bagged ice which we found unacceptable. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $43.00

First, the positives: Friendly staff at the office. They had one of the best cable systems I have seen in years of traveling. Gravel roads and gravel sites (many other campgrounds in the area are grass sites and that is an issue when it rains). Now the negatives: Park is way past its prime. Site infrastructure needs a lot of work. Posts that support water and cable are rotten. I had to get a shovel and dig around the sewer connection to get access to the cap. There are a lot of old/abandoned campers throughout the park. The road coming in/out is a potential nightmare. It funnels down to one lane for quite a distance. If a big rig meets another big rig, someone will have to perform some tricky maneuvering to resolve the situation. There are several tight turns for big rigs. Finally, I-40 is close to the park and the highway noise is prevalent all night. I would not stay here again, especially at the current rate. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Obstacles

Featured Campgrounds Near Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

Rough entry. Quick check-in; nice lady at desk. Low tree limbs. Gravel roads. We were put in back where older RV had been neglected. Need to spruce up the place. No cable ( without a box; extra cost ). Not up to KOA stds. Stayed only one night on way home to NC. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $36.00

Spacious sites with a lot of shade. However the campground looks neglected, a lot of debris from trees and bushes on sites up to a point that some campers don't bother buy firewood, they just walk around and collect it. Utilities pedestals are all over the site, water here, power there. Also it looks like a local get together campground. Family reunions with the associated activities. Water from the pool was all over the bathroom floor up to a point that you can't tell whether it is a water or plumbing leakage. Good enough for one night. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $40.00

I found the park to be a solid choicefor an overnight stay. Nice and woodsy, efficient staff, and roomy enough pullthroughs. The hookups were immaculately maintained as was the rest of the park. Nearby highway noise did not bother us and the cable box and wifi were no extra charge. Would definitely stay again tho slightly ovrpriced. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $40.00

This KOA is showing some age. However, most items seem to be in good working order. The bathhouses were spotless and up to date. The pool was in decent repair and was clean. It had plenty of lawn chairs to sit in. The sites were mostly level. There were about 10-15 long term sites and most of these were well maintained. There was a fire ring, a picnic table (painted yellow), water, electricity, and cable at each site. The trees were in the correct place. Overall the staffs were OK. A few negatives include too many signs. The dog run needed water and a place to sit. The office looked like a souvenir store. The WIFI was spotty at best. Lastly, the grounds were well maintained and the grass was mowed. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Gatlinburg is about 1 hour away. The are plenty of other things to do.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $44.00

Glad we are only staying here one night! Road to get back to the park is very tight and narrow! Once inside the park it's uphill on gravel road. One way in, one way out! A lot of permanent residents all throughout the park. Old cable with a converter box system. I thought in 2016 that everyone had cable without boxes. Boy I WAS WRONG THERE!

Site was unlevel and gravel. Hope you have 2 fresh water hoses cause if you stay here you are going to need them. The water is in the very rear of the site; and also 2 sewage hoses to hook up. The fire ring is an old rusty hub off a tractor trailer. The picnic table looks like someone made it and didn't look safe to sit on.

Oh, it's shady all right; they need to trim them.

If I only knew we would have stayed in Gatlinburg! Spend the money and stay there. I will next time! We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Nearby, Very Close
Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $41.00

A little tricky getting in and out with 38' MH and TOAD. Otherwise, it was ok. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $41.00

This park was ok for an overnight. However as many other reviews have mentioned there are alot of trailers and run down campers in this park. We had a pull through that was just barely long enough but it worked. The hookups were good no issues. Pool was closed as chemicals were just added but looked nice enough. Road into park was narrow and dicey and sites were very tight. We would look for other options next time, although not many in this immediate area. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $41.00

As many other reviewers posted, this was a one night stay on a trip to another destination. First, the staff was very friendly and accommodating when we arrived. The bathrooms were clean and pool area looked decent. However, this was overshadowed by the overall hillbilly atmosphere of this campground. There were numerous rundown campers and several random pieces of construction equipment stored throughout the campground. The campground is also surrounded by sketchy mobile homes and is very close to the highway. We would not stay here again. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $40.00

Sites too close and not very level. Needs TLC. Good wifi. Nice staff. Site surface was gravel with a sunny/open exposure. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $35.00

This was an overnight stop on a cross-country trip. We had reservations and were assigned a pull-through space.

The access to the campground is unusual -- you turn into a driveway and then wind through a neighborhood, through a forested area (narrow street) and one-lane bridge to get to the campground entrance. The campground roads are gravel and slightly hilly, but no problem making it into the site.

This campground is immediately next to I-40, so there is substantial road noise even though it appears to be in a forested area. OK for an overnight stay but definitely not a place I'd call a destination. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $35.00

This was an overnight stay. Was typical koa. Staff was friendly, Entrance road is long with business/homes along the road to this road is probably 2 way but barely. Even though CG entrance is 1.5 miles from Interstate, road back to CG takes you back in the direction of the interstate so there is road noise. We would stay here again if in the area. We camped at Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA

Are you affiliated with Newport / I-40 / Smoky Mountains KOA ?