Big Meadow Family Campground

Townsend, Tennessee

• yes-river Waterfront

americanrascal

A great campground in a very nice location. Wonderful staff. The sites are level in well laid out park with good facilities. The sites in the front of the park are next to the roadway and can be a bit noisy, but the trade off is being adjacent to the Little River with easy access. The road noise would not be a problem if the local law enforcement enforced the posted 25 mph speed limit. We saw some cars on the roadway that had to be doing 50 plus within just a few feet of out rig! Sites not adjacent to the road in the park are much quieter and work fine though. We thought the site was about $10 over priced given the fact it was almost empty. Aside from the road problem in one sector and being a bit overpriced, it is an excellent park and we will definitely return. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Summerland65

This is not the first time we have stayed with the wonderful folks at Big Meadow. This is by far our favorite campground. I cannot begin to explain the absolute friendliness and gracious hospitality of the owners and staff. They are by far the best! Our dog loves the dog park. The sites are level and pull through and have spacious grassy areas next to them, which makes it nice for us and our dog. The bathrooms are always clean and smell of bleach from their daily cleaning. The grounds are extremely well maintained and very nicely landscaped. We do not have children but if we did, the kids parks on site look extremely safe and lots of kid friendly fun. During our visit here this time, we stayed a week. It was a wonderful, very enjoyable vacation. Whenever we visit the Gatlinburg area, this is our number one campground and we would not want to stay anywhere else. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Rose & Noel

Very clean, nice level sites, next to River Rats tubing which is great for families that want an afternoon tubing down the river, convenient to Cade's Cove and not that far (30 minutes) to Pigeon Forge. Townsend lives up to its motto - quiet side of the Smokies. Very little shade within the park. Will definitely return to this park. Stayed here in 40 ft motorhome with toad, no problem, especially with super size site we had. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Roger H.

Nice park close to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Townsend is on the "quiet" side of the Park next to the Little River. Friendly staff. Free and very slow wifi, but Verizon 4G coverage here makes up for it. Nice dog park. The 50 amp sites have level concrete pads. We enjoyed our stay here. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

bluboogiebear

We stayed here 2 months with a monthly rate. All staff are very helpful. They want to make sure your stay is enjoyable. It was great to have concrete pads because of rain. Very clean campground. We have stayed here before and will return 'home'!! We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

southernsky

Nice campground with good presentation. Good wifi and cable. Little store with rv parts. The river is actually across a county road from campground. River sites are 30 amp. Sites are close together and rather short, but concrete sites (50amp)are level. Not bad for the price but would look at other campgrounds when in the area. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

BobatRetama

Could not get satellite reception from site 66 moved to 72. CATV choices are limited. See their web site to check for your favorites. Trees are scattered so call ahead to see if the site is satellite friendly. Super sites are mainly concrete where you park but with gravel on the approach and departure. Each have a concrete pad to step out on and a picnic table. The raised concrete elevates you a little higher than the sewer connection.WiFi antennas are disbursed throughout the campground. The system was open and we never had to enter the password on any of our devices. Sites overlooking the river have a public road between the site and the river. The only campground exit road runs in front of the river sites. Aluminum cans are collected for recycling. Except for the barking dogs hear almost every evening (coming from outside the campground) it was quiet. Convenient location is the only way to justify the premium price We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Snuggery

We have stayed at this campground several times and keep coming back because it is a great location, it is very well maintained, and it has good pull through sites. The premium sites have concrete pads. We stayed on the perimeter with a view of a meadow and the mountains out our front motor home windows. It is lovely. The landscaping is very attractive, too. The campground is gated with a security code. The staff are very efficient and helpful. There are shorter sites that back up to the Little River, and there is a two lane, blacktop country road in-between the campground and the river. We find it helpful to disconnect the tow vehicle before heading to the camp site because there is a tight turn right after the gate, and larger rigs may have to back up once or twice to negotiate that turn. Exiting is easier. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

T

I had a beautiful site along Little River. There's a public road between the river and the sites, but it's not a big deal. Not much traffic. There's seating beside the river provided by the campground. The campground has beautiful landscaping, and the concrete pads and like-new picnic tables are great. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Zacks' Daddy

This park was by far the nicest private campground I've traveled to. Without question I would recommend this place to any traveler!! I typically stay in rustic state parks where there is huge space between neighbors, but basics are scarce. This past week, I participated in a group that had booked Big Meadow. Prior to my trip in planning and looking at the park map, my first thought was: "Oh my gosh, it's a Walmart parking lot." Upon arrival, it's anything BUT that. Reservations: A+ They there very informative on my questions and needs (I have two dogs). They recommended a site adjacent to the river. In fact a week or so prior to traveling, they called back and said there was a cancellation and asked if I wanted to move closer to my group. Very customer focused!! Campground layout: A+ There must have been a landscape engineer design the layout. Even though the density of sites is high, there was a good mix of open spaces and buildings. Also, most of sites have HUGE concrete pads. It made leveling, parking, keeping things clean inside a non event!! Facilities: A+ Clean, especially bathrooms and common areas. Dog waste bags strategically placed, very nice group meeting space, cool fire pit. I didn't use Wi-Fi however, most around me seemed to have no issues. Summary: This is a must stay. It is not highly commercial (the campground NOR Townsend TN). These people have put their heart and soul to provide a fun relaxing vacation experience for their clients, and it shows. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Picture It

This is a real nice campground and we have stayed here several times. The owners are always making improvements to the park. In the last year some of the sites and the WiFi have been upgraded. I would have rated this campground a 10 if it weren't for the following. My only complaint is that they don't seem customer focused. In my opinion, they seem to care about their campground, but not their customers. We paid for a week when we were here last year. We had to leave the day after we checked in because our son had emergency surgery. The owners would not offer a refund, but gave us a 5-day rain-check good for a year. I not only would have been more eager to give them repeat business if they had shown some compassion for our circumstance, but I would have been singing their praises to every RV'er I know. Fortunately for us, we planned on returning within the next year allowing us to use the rain-check. We had a problem with a minor leak at the water hook-up during our last visit. We heard a noise outside the motorhome and then lost all of our water pressure inside while using the bath. After using our water pump to finish rinsing we went outside to check the wet bay. The problem - the owner drove by on his golf cart, noticed the mist spray - turned the water off, and then drove back to his office. At the very least, he could have knocked on our door and told us he was going to have to turn the water off, or he could have assisted in stopping the leak. It was a very small mist spray that had leaked through the regulator attachment. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

canes1969

Solid campground on the quiet side of The Smokies. Friendly staff, clean restrooms and showers. Quiet campground and they are not on the main highway going through town like most the other campgrounds. Good grocery store about a mile away. Personally I wouldn't want to stay on their sites between the office and the road. Traffic on the road and those sites seem tight. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Truck Camper.

Camping USA

This park is a real nice park, clean and neat, it was built in 1995. The front sites have concrete pads, however for our 43 foot RV they are too small in width. Our RV fit perfectly on it, but very little space was left for our own enjoyment on it. The doors on the RV could not be opened without moving the picnic table off the pad to the front of the RV onto the stone driveway, my preference would be to have the RV site on crushed stone and have a nice concrete patio to enjoy. the concrete sites would be nice for a trailer, without slides and doors on the right side. Perhaps the park was build before the age of large RV's. The park has a security gate, not sure why it is necessary because the area seems safe and secure. The park is close to the Smokey mountain entrance and Cades cove. It has a laundry and a small store. Its a quiet park with not to many kids, perhaps due to it not having a pool. I would not be paying any extra for a river site. They are across the road from the river and you can hardly even see it through the trees. Plus they are located on the main road leading out of the park, so they must get a fair amount of road dust. This park is rated 5 star, but due to no pool or hot tub, no fire pits: I would only give it a 4 star. It was very hot when we stayed. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

olives

We had a wonderful stay here. Owners were excellent and loved the security of the campground. Owners were always working to make improvements on grounds. We stayed in pull through site behind office with paved patio. Just enough trees to be nice even though we were not able to get Direct TV at our site. Plenty of good cable stations. Level, good hookups. Home style feel here and great location to be just enough away from hustle and bustle of Gatlinberg etc. Will definitely stay here again! We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Motorhome.

tnbigrig

A super clean campground and super nice service, even helped me back into the site. I have some concerns I thought I should pass along. 1. The river sites are located on a small paved road where vehicles pass by at highway speeds at all hours. It is not safe for kids wanting to access river. 2. My neighbors electrical, water, and cable hookup is 3 feet from my patio, right at my door (makes for a nice view) 3. No place for a camp fire, the owners offer fire rings for a $20 deposit, but there is no good spot to use one without burning down your neighbors RV. 4. The campground has security gates with curfews. The gates lock at night and you cannot get in or out (even with the pass code). The owners manager told me I need to be in the campground by 11:00pm because the gates will lock until 6:45am. It makes me feel like a prisoner\hostage. 5. If I stay here again and I would consider it because of the the hospitality and neatness, I will opt for a site not located on the river\speedway. We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Big Meadow Family Campground?