Balmorhea State Park

Balmorhea, Texas 79786

Elevation: 3318' (approximate)
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • ATT, Verizon, Other Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon,Other
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms yes
  • Walking Trail(s) Walking Trail(s) no
  • Recreation Room Recreation Room no
  • Hiking Hiking no
  • Pond Pond yes

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $28.00

We had a pull through site that would fit a 40 footer, but after looking at the site, decided that it would be better to back into the site. The site was small and narrow, so I had to make sure that I positioned the coach just right to be able to let out the slides. Electric was good and the water was adequate. Didn't have sewer, and I didn't see a dump station, but I didn't need it either. The park itself is nice and clean, but expect a large crowd for the pool during the day. May go back again in the future, when we can spend more time here. We were just there for one night on our trip back home from California. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $14.00

This Park is truly an oasis in every sense of the word! The spring feed, crystal clear 25 foot deep swimming pool and its' diving boards make for a wonderful outing. The surrounding clear water stream accentuates the experience of camping here. The park is I-10 close. The campground is well laid out and provides campers a good deal of privacy from other campers. The dump site is conveniently located. Although fairly clean, the showers could use a dose of bleach and a good power cleaning. The Staff was ultra friendly! We will definitely stay here again. As has been pointed out, while the nightly camping fee ranges from $11 to $28 per site per night/day everyone in your party is also charged the daily entrance fee. Depending upon the number of days you intend on staying, the number of people traveling with you, and your intentions of staying at or visiting other Texas State Parks, you should consider purchasing an Annual Texas State Park Pass. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

Come stocked with groceries as the local grocery store has a very skimpy inventory. Balmorhea Lake is very close by. Fort Richardson is also close by and very much worth the drive to visit. Anticipate spending at least two hours at the Fort Richardson National Historical Site.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $14.00

After driving through miles of desolate West Texas the sight of green as we approached the park was a delight. Balmorhea is literally an oasis in the middle of the high desert. This is not the place to go if you want activities and lots to do, but if you want a quiet and restful stop along your way, this is the place. I'll try to avoid the things that others have said, but to say "pool" is an understatement. They bill it as the largest spring-fed pool in the world, holding 3.5 million gallons of water! Like no "pool" I've ever seen. Some said that the water is cold, but in fact it's 72-76* year round, so if you are swimming it's just great. Our site was level, had good water pressure, good voltage, and we passed the dump station on the way out. None of the sites have a sewer hookup. We thought that the water quality was good, but have a Brita filter on our faucet anyway. There is no Wi-Fi available, but we have a Jetpack (Verizon hotspot) and the signal was fine. Staff was pleasant and helpful. A note: campsite/RV rate is $14, but there is an added "entry fee" per day that as some have said, can feel like a "gotcha", but the Texas state park pass is $70 per year which gets you into all their parks without the fee. We did the math and for us, it was worth buying the pass. Either way it seemed like a fair price to us. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

No Others In Sight

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $25.00

Very friendly and helpful staff. Really cool pool and creeks. Lots of wildlife (turtles, fish, owls, ducks, etc.). Cost to boondock with water was $11, then had to pay $7 per person for state park fee, so $25 for no electric or sewer. Best site is #19 is you don't need electric. Nice park, have stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed the sounds of water again after staying in New Mexico where there is very little water. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $12.00

Camping is about evenly split b/w back-ins and pull-throughs; all have a cabana with picnic table, plus a fire pit and grill. There also are some motel-type rooms for non-campers. There is an outdoor pool -- more like a lagoon -- fed by spring water. It attracts hundreds of users on hot days. A "cienega," or oasis -- also spring fed-- attracts birds, turtles and fish. But please, parents, instruct your kids NOT to feed the wildlife, and then set a good example. I saw several parents who encouraged/allowed their children to drop bread, snacks and soda pop into the water to watch the fish fight over it. All you're doing is contributing to the wildlife's early death. Also enjoyed other wildlife: 2 Great-horned owls perched on utility poles long before sunset so we could watch and listen to them. There are many rabbits, too. And the sky is so full of stars that you'll stand in awe while trying to take them all in. I must add that park personnel act fast. I reported to the office that a wasp nest was in the electric pedestal at my camp site, and before I walked out the office door, I heard staff calling maintenance about it. The grounds have 2 men's bathrooms, both with showers. But one is a lockable, family-type room with toilet, sink and shower, while the other has a shower, but anyone can enter the room to use the other facilities. (I assume the same goes for the women's side.) One other complaint: Is it all campers nowadays or just those in Texas who don't respect your campground space? While I was sitting in the cabana next to the fire pit and grill and my travel trailer, a family started setting up their gear on a second picnic table in the cabana! Another time, a man who I didn't know walked right through the middle of my camp site, as if I had invited him to take a short cut. Talk about being dissed! We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Travel Trailer.

There is no internet service here. Try the Balmorhea Library, but be aware that hours are limited. Fort Davis, about 30 miles away, is supposed to be a superb birding and historic site (I wasn't able to get there).

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $17.00

We stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. The campsites have pretty views of the mountains and each site has a nice covered patio with picnic table. The spring-fed pool was the main attraction for us to visit and we loved it. I was glad the weather was hot while we were there because the pool water is cold but feels very refreshing when it's 90 degrees outside. I wish we had thought to get snorkel gear before we went. They don't sell it there which was odd. Verizon coverage was good. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $17.00

Extremely nice and friendly staff to check us in. This was an overnight stay for us. Park was nice overall but cable TV didn't work and we always like to check local news and weather reports. The pool was beautiful and small rabbits entertained us at our site in the evening while coyotes howled in the distance. We were near restrooms and the doors slammed continuously. Maybe the door closing mechanism needed adjusting and/or replacement. Water pressure adequate and electric power level very good. Not much grass but this is an arid part of the world. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Pull-throughs
Asphalt, Dirt

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $17.00

The price is extremely misleading as they charge an extra $7/person/day for park entry - even if not leaving the park. That was an extra $14/day in addition to the $17 cost. Small state park campground with very odd arrangement of sites. More than one new arrival (including us) had to take a look around to determine how the sites were laid out. However although they appear small had plenty of room. Not very attractive but was clean and level. The bathrooms - not so much. There is a nice spring-fed pool there, as well as great mountain views. Covered patio at some sites (not ours), just picnic table at others - charge is same. Office staff very nice. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

Great little place down the road called Jo's Bar and Grill.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $14.00

This is an okay state park, as usual, it is dated. The bathrooms are just okay, old and in need of replacement. We skipped using their showers as they have no private changing area, your kind of standing in he bathroom if you step out of the shower. Campsites are on the small side, most have a covered table and a grill, no open fires allowed. There is a huge spring fed swimming area, bring your suit. The pull through sites are okay for bigger rigs, not the back ins. This campground is okay for a couple nights while swimming or visiting the Fort Davis area. I'd stay here again if I couldn't get into Davis Mountain. No much in the area towns for services, come prepared. High chlorine taste and smell of the campgrounds water. $14 price does not include park access fee of $7 per head. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $17.00

Swimming in the pool is the main reason to visit. No sewer hookups. Minimal hiking trails. Park is very peaceful. Good place to just relax. Women's showers not cleaned daily. Same hair on shower floor for 3 days. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Go to Davis Mountain Observatory for evening star gazing and lecture! Swim in the pool. Watch out for large concrete piling under water in the pool and not marked! See the roadrunners.

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $17.00

There's not a lot of options when you're going through west Texas. The towns are tiny, and you just have to realize you're in BFE and deal with it. This was totally BFE. The nearest Walmart was 1 hr away. No decent laundromats nearby or grocery stores etc. With that said, it was a good little state park. Cheap, friendly, and cable hookups although they were staticky. The bathrooms were not great and the showers turned themselves off after 10 seconds so you had to keep hitting the button. Very annoying. Plus only 1 was working. I would stay here again if I was passing through but not for more than a few days. Check out the Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center and Botanical Gardens for excellent hiking trails and beautiful views. It's about 40 min drive but I couldn't find any closer hiking. Site accessibility (Roads in are good. The sites themselves were spacious) - 4 Campground location (Nothing around here at all) - 1 Nearby amenities (Very small market, not much else) - 1 Site Privacy (Good spacing) - 3 Campground amenities (Bathrooms were not very nice, onsite dump) - 2 Dog friendly (Not a lot of walking space other than walking around the campground) - 2 Activities (The spring is really it) - 2 Cost ($17/night for 50amp W/E with cable) - 5 Staff friendliness (staff was nice) - 5 Connectivity (Good Verizon and ATT, no OTA but cable) - 4 Total rating = 2.9. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $14.00

This is one of my favorite places of the many we've been to after a year and a half on the road, mainly because of the natural spring-fed swimming pool. The RV park is spacious and well kept. About 15 E & W back-in sites and about an equal number of pull thrus with E & W and most with 50 amp and cable. Also about six NHU back-in sites. The back-ins are good size, but a big rig with a tow might not fit and the pull thrus were mostly full when we were there so you might want to reserve. No sewers, but there is a dump station. The spring feeds several small streams and there is a great viewing platform by a wetland area where I saw several species of waterbirds and turtles. The birding wasn't that great while we were there, but watching the bunnies and the road runners was great fun. There's lots of "grass" around but it has stickers so the dog stayed on the pavement. The showers are not great. The room is bright, but old with stains and peeling paint. The shower is a push button that runs for a whole 10 seconds unless you hold it in. I ended up backing up to it and holding it in with my butt so that I could have both hands free to wash & rinse my hair! Pressure was fair but there was plenty of hot water. The pool is the centerpiece of the place though and absolutely wonderful on a hot day. It's enormous (1.75 acres!) and there are tons of little fish that will follow you around and nibble on your toes. Quite a few catfish in the right hand arm of the pool. I had six of them swimming around me. Got some great underwater pictures. At $14 per night (we have a Texas Parks pass so didn't have to pay the rip off daily entrance fee per person), including entry to the pool, the place is a great value. If I didn't have a pass and had to pay $10/day extra for two people I wouldn't have rated this place as highly as I did. We'll definitely be back as long as our pass is still in effect. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $14.00

This is a lovely, destination park for us. It is clean, quiet and built to ward off the sometimes intense heat of a high desert - with shaded picnic areas, adobe walled bathrooms and that lovely, lovely San Solomon Spring - fed swimming pool (built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's.) We have a Texas State Parks pass and love the engaging towns of Marfa, Fort Davis, Alpine and usually take a day trip to the McDonald Observatory. On weekends the pool is very popular with families and scuba diving classes but we enjoy being a part of that. Most of them are gone by 10 a.m. Monday, leaving us with roadrunners, rabbits, nice park rangers and sweet maintenance folks. As other reviewers noted: this region can get rain and cold. Many of the sites have cable TV at the site and Verizon cell phones and hot spots work well here - even in the rain. Whenever we have checked, the bathrooms were clean. Once we noticed that the 50 amp receptacle on a neighboring site was broken, mentioned it to the office and two young people came out and fixed it within an hour...and came over to show us how to hook up our cable box. :) We have experienced low water pressure but no litter or poor maintenance. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

Go to Marfa and tour the handsome El Paisano Hotel which served as the base of operations for months in the summer of 1955 for a Warner Brothers film crew and stars James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson as the movie Giant was being filmed. Then go out into the desert viewing stand and investigate the mysterious "Marfa Lights"; are they swamp gas/ghosts/your imagination? Only you (or your children) can decide. 

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $17.00

Stayed here for one night at the end of a long road trip in order for the kids to enjoy the springs. Unfortunately, it was during monsoon season and the park had had a few days of rain prior to our visit. The campgrounds are very poorly drained - a good number of sites were completely flooded out, our picnic table was an island and our tow vehicle was parked in 6" of standing water. The tent campers were mixed in with RVers, and with the flooded roads, a lot of folks had to cut through RV sites just to access the restrooms. We attempted to use the restrooms but they always seemed to be closed for repairs. Electric and water at the site were fine, and the dump station had easy access. Pull through site was level and a good size, we did not have to unhook our tow vehicle. Overall, it's a great park to access the springs - I just feel it wasn't up to par with other Texas state parks we've camped at. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $30.00

We stayed here specifically to swim in the spring fed pool. Stayed two nights. No great value, you pay the nightly rate plus and entry fee each day of $7 per person. As a state park the grounds had litter on it, the guests did not pick up after themselves and the staff was not sufficient to deal with grounds upkeep. Again we came here specifically for the water and it was most enjoyable in the Texas heat. We would stay again for this reason. Then move on down the road. We camped at Balmorhea State Park in a Motorhome.

You go here for the Spring fed pool and the mountain views.

Lost Alaskan RV Park

Alpine, Texas

Caverns of Sonora RV Park

Sonora, Texas

Laird Ranch

Sunset RV Resort

Austin, Texas

Are you affiliated with Balmorhea State Park ?