Marathon Motel and RV Park

Marathon, Texas

701 US-90
Marathon, Texas 79842

Latitude: 30.20785

Ask fellow campers about "Marathon Motel and RV Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $30.00

We used this park as a base camp for day trips down to Big Bend National Park. We were very pleased with it. It is on dirt and gravel, no grass, but this after all is a desert. None-the-less, it is clean, well appointed and landscaped. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

When you reserve, ask for a site in the back area away from the highway. Much quieter. Also there are some trees separating the spaces in the back area. There are observatories and telescope pads with electric hook-ups near the RV area. Be careful about opening RV doors at night with bright lights on inside. Most people roaming the grounds at night used red lens flashlights. For dining, try the restaurant at the Gage Hotel down the street. Pricey but excellent.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $32.00

We like to stay in Marathon when we attend the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Alpine. We reserved 5 months in advance so that we could have a site in the back, quieter and with a little protection from the wind. This is a typical west Texas campground, with little vegetation and lots of dust. When we arrived, we found that someone had changed our site, without notifying us, to one in the front. The lady who checked us in was very apologetic and made a note to have someone contact us and possibly compensate us for the move. That never happened. We like this little town, and I'm not saying we wouldn't stay there again, but we would want some kind of assurance that they could be trusted to give us the site we reserved. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Drink a margarita at the White Buffalo bar!

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $32.00

We stayed here for 4 nights to see the local attractions, including Big Bend, Alpine, McDonald's Observatory, and the Marfa Lights. Long pull thru site with FHU. Windy & dusty but accept that as part of the location. Liked the campground, dark skies, and the view. However, the train crossing across the street, and loud whistle during the night (between 3-3:30 a.m.), every night, would make me hesitate to stay again. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $17.00

Great place to stay. We really loved the amateur astronomy that was provided on site. There is a single washer/dryer setup for $3/load. The sites were very long and very narrow. The highway was nearby but no major traffic was heard. There was also railroad tracks close, but I never really noticed any noise (but I know there had to be). We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Definitely go check out Gage Gardens (in town and across the tracks).

Featured Campgrounds Near Marathon Motel and RV Park

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $18.00

We stayed just overnight to prepare for entering Big Bend NP. Stayed in the overnight section of the park which is basically a gravel parking lot with full hookups. More that adequate for what we wanted. Gassed up for the 90 mile desert trip into BBNP the next morning at a local station not open but serviceable with a credit card. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $35.00

Stop here as I was early for my reservation at Big Bend SP. Like it here so well I cancel my BBSP reservations. We camp here for five days. First two days are half price on PPA then $35.00 per night. Will plan to visit again. Cell was great with Free WiFi. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $20.00

Rate was based on a weekly rate of $140. If you stay less than a week, nightly rate is $35. If you want to extend you stay an extra night or two, the nightly rate of $35 applies. The RV park itself is nothing but a big wide open gravel lot. When you go to make a resv. online, the rates were the same for 30-amp or 50-amp electric. If you choose the 30-amp, you will get older electric pedestals not too good condition. Choose the 50-amp which are new pedestals with the standard 20/30/50 outlets. Also the 50-amp sites are on the 2nd row and further away from the highway noise. They only have 2 rows of RV sites and a couple "way out in the back" near where the owner lives. I do not know how to reserve those sites (maybe by phone vs their online reserve. system. The motel side of the property is beautifully landscaped with nice ambient lighting at night. They have a very nice outdoor fireplace in the landscaped motel side of the property - RV guests are welcomed there, too. Cable TV was fair. Wireless internet was good. AT&T 4G internet which was excellent fast. VZW 3G internet was fair. The electric in the 50-amp sites was ok - voltage dropped to 109 in the peak late afternoon heat on both legs of my voltage meter. Marathon is an excellent jumping point to visit Big Bend Natl. Park. We have 2 dogs & did not want to risk losing power at the Natl Park campground (which is nothing other than a big asphalt parking lot). We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

2nd row

In Marathon, go to the Guage Motel. Its beautiful. Also across the street from the Guage Motel is the Guage Gardens - 27 acres of beautifully manicured landscaping and water features. Make sure you stock-up on groceries prior to your arrival as the local French Market Marathon grocery store is expensive (only grocery store for 50-miles). Ask the clerk in the office to have the Motel owner who lives on site to use his many telescopes to gauze at the stars!

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $30.00

In Marathon, which doesn't have much to offer. Close (80 miles) to Big Bend NP. No recreation activities, no dog recreation area. Just a gravel and dirt campground. Our cable didn't work except for a few channels. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Marathon is very small; they have a gas station, a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. Alpine is a much bigger town, but further from Big Bend NP.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $35.00

Be careful using Passport America, I called to get a reservation, got their answer service telling me I had to use the internet to get a reservation, asked about Passport America, but they never returned my call. I made the reservation over the internet, when I got there they said they wouldn't honor Passport America.

Admin note: Park advises if reservation is done by internet, they will honor Passport America. Contact park for details. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $18.00

We stayed here for 3 nights which allowed us to drive down to Big Bend NP. I believe this is the closest we could get without going in which would have been tight with our rig. Also the roads in are very narrow and winding. About 45 min from i10 worked well for us. Place is super cute, little Spanish style motel, lovely courtyard, gardens etc. RV area was basic, gravel, mostly level. Full hook ups but wifi wasn't great. Laundry was free but only 1 washer, 1 dryer and baskets waiting, so I didn't bother. Serious stargazers here, huge telescopes and areas set up specific for it. Beautiful sky at night. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

There really is t much to do here, it's a place to stay if you like stargazing, going down to the NP, passing through. Just a very small grocery in town so stock up before you come through. Should check out the Gage Hotel while you are here. A beautiful old hotel with lovely courtyards, grounds, pool area etc. about 90 yrs old. There is a post office in town, we were able to have our mail service send our mail here for us to pick up.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $20.00

Stayed here for a week to visit Big Bend National Park. People were friendly and good pull through for big rigs. They do have an area for pets to walk but our dogs could only go a few feet before getting stickers in their feet. Lots of doggie poo. Apparently others did not pick up after their dogs. There is a train that passes just across the street but we were not bothered by it. The national park is an hours drive from here but great views along the way. The night skies were awesome and they will take out telescopes for you to stargaze but must ask or they won't tell you. Cable offered here was good. I would stay here again. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

Go to Alpine about 30 minutes away for fast food, restaurants.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $32.00

This is the place to stay on your way to Big Bend National Park. This is also the place to stay if you have a mechanical problem as the hosts make every effort to accommodate you. They have level sites, full hookups, cable TV, wifi, and nice outdoor areas. The patio is lovely with outdoor heaters, a massive barbecue grill and even a wood burning stove for baking pizza or bread. There are windbreaks for comfort. When we were there, the laundry was out of order. The wifi slows down after the campers come in at night, so you might want to switch to your own hot spot. Verizon has very good coverage here.

We highly recommend Marathon RV Park. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $20.00

We stayed here a week. Great park for star gazing as it offers amazing views of the night sky. The park isn't very big w/ only 19 sites, but it does have good WiFi & cable TV. Clean restrooms.

The park has spots where you can get out your own telescope w/ power & shade cloth to prevent stray light intrusion. We would definitely stay here again. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

50 Amp site

The area is known as the north gateway to Big Bend National Park. While it is a little ways from the park, the drive makes for a good day trip. We actually went there 2 different days.

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $25.00

Positives for Marathon RV Park are that you can walk to town (coffee shop, breakfast restaurant, dinner restaurant, library, grocery), beautiful sunsets and mountain views, friendly people, Inner courtyard and outdoor cafe space to sit away from the camper occasionally. If you are a train lover, as I am, you will love this place, because the trains come through about four or five times a day, right across the road (and at night, too. I loved it but I heard some people needed ear plugs, which they provide at the office.)

Challenges: Wifi was not great. I needed it for work and ended up blowing through my cell data that week. Laundry machines were out of order the whole week.

Disappointments: There was no activity at all re: stargazing, and no fires at night in the courtyard. We had been looking forward to that after reading other reviews. It was pretty quiet.

Overall, a good value, a good location, especially if you want to go to Big Bend. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Motorhome.

There's not much happening in Marathon. The coffee shop is overpriced but they are very friendly and the wifi is good. French's grocery is not fancy but has everything you will need and is priced right. The locals are friendly and engaging.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $18.00

We stopped here on the way back from Big Bend. I didn't expect much in this town. In other areas of the state, I would rate this lower. In this area it had exactly what we wanted. I could pull through the site without issue. I didn't test wifi. We walked into town and ate dinner at surprisingly upscale restaurant. Only complaint would be the sewer. It was at the front of the trailer. I had to run 30' to get to it. We camped at Marathon Motel and RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Marathon Motel and RV Park

Are you affiliated with Marathon Motel and RV Park ?