Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA)

Mathis, Texas

101 County Road 371
Mathis, Texas 78368

Latitude: 28.208780970071

Elevation: 143' (approximate)
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?

Ask a Question About Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA)

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $37.00

Great stop over. The staff was very friendly and informative about the local area. Roads were a little rustic as one person said, but the site was level. wide and spacious. We weren't packed in. Stopped by the restrooms and found everything clean and in good repair. Showers all worked. We would stay here again but spend more time here getting to know the area and get in some fishing. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $35.00

I recently stayed at Mustang Hollow Campground and found it to be delightful. I'm not sure why the reviews in the past have been so negative because I found it to be very pleasant. I do agree the roads were a bit rustic and there was a train whistle that I heard occasionally but the park was very clean. Restrooms were extremely clean and did not smell at all unless you think Clorox smells bad. Pool was clean. Campground was mowed and groomed. Sunset over the lake was beautiful. I recommend you stop by there and see for yourself because it is definitely not as bad as the reviews state. Sometimes I think it's only the negative people that post their reviews, so if you find it to be as pleasant as I did show them some love and post it. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

E01

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $33.00

Rustic campground. Nice folks in the office. Level gravel, with table and tree, fire ring. Good bathrooms. Two toilets and three showers at the upper area. There are three other bathrooms down by the lakeside sites; but the roads down there very rutted. Wi-Fi very slow; no cable TV. Roads badly rutted. We had a nice big site in front and couldn't see the permanent trailer park further toward the lake. Pool too cold for me. Bathrooms old, but clean. Very little highway noise. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2013 - $37.00

I need to reiterate an earlier review. Although the staff is friendly, this is NOT the place to stay if you want a good night's sleep! Start with loud diesels coming in and out of the park until after 11 PM. Follow that up with a 4:30 AM train that sounds like it is coming straight at you. Should you be able to fall back asleep, you will be awoken at about 5:30 with more diesel pick ups running up and down the road as apparently these people are leaving for work. The one next to us "warmed his truck up" for about 30 minutes before pulling out. We will definitely not be back! We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $45.00

Our truck broke down again and we sat on the side of the freeway for 2 hours. Eventually, we found a KOA nearby and asked if they could help. The husband of the work camper couple came out, hooked up our trailer, and towed us to a beautiful site overlooking the wildlife reserve and pool area. We ended up staying 2 nights while figuring out what to do with our truck. We felt welcomed right away. Yes, there are a lot of permanent residents there, but the park was clean and inviting. There are several wild birds, including peacocks, walking around and they will even stop to pose for a picture. I am so grateful for all the help and hospitality we received from this KOA. We will stay here again when traveling through this part of TX. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $37.00

The staff was wonderful. They led us to our site. The office is open until 8pm. We were in sun until evening, as shade tree was behind us. We did not care for Mesquite beans falling on top of trailer, but other than that, it was a very nice park. The Wifi worked well. We loved the resident peacocks parading around the grounds. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2011 - $48.00

We wanted to see if anything had changed here over the past several months (since our last visit). We discovered several changes. There are twice as many long term campers living in trashy RV's with junk all around them. It actually looks as if it is a slum in some large city. The bathrooms and laundry room are by far the worst we have encountered. We spoke with some of the Work Campers and they stated: "The owners could care less, they are only renting the property from the city so they are not going to put any money into repairs!" Shame on them. IF you do not want a clean and neat park, then get out of the business! We felt that KOA needed to be educated on this dump. When we spoke to the so called Customer Service in Billings, they told us that they are aware of the problems but they can not do anything about it. The park is independently owned and operated. They did acknowledge that it is in the top 5 worst parks in the KOA line up! Site are not level, electrical is very old and the water still stinks like rotten eggs or strong Bleach, depends on what day you are here. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2011 - $40.00

We spent 3 nights here and would not go back again. We were given a site that was totally inappropriate for our 38 ft 5th wheel and told that nothing else was available. The trees interfered with the slides, the site was not level and it took us over an hour in the pitch dark to get settled in. The owner apologized to us the following morning and said we never should have been put there (duh!) as there were lots of big rig spaces in another area of the park. The park seems to be filled with long-term residents and while we were unhitching there was a loud, foul-mouthed, verbal dispute happening in the site next to us. The trains make a heck of a noise, the park is not well-maintained, and we were surprised that it is part of the KOA program. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2011 - $33.00

Where to begin? Dirt roads with big holes, train tracks 15 yards from campsites, many pipeline workers and permanent residents in trashy sites, dog waste not picked up, the laundry room stunk because washers drain back up into empty washers. I had to rewash my clothes twice in order to get the stench out of them. The closest grocery store is 12 miles away, the closest Wal-Mart is 22 miles away, Corpus Christi is 35 miles away The staff was friendly but we would never stay here again. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $29.00

We chose a nice long pull through with full shade on the west side. Nice quiet park this time of year. Park is on large lake and has a fishing pier with room for some small boats. Water has a strong sulfer odor. Pool water was extremely warm, not unusual this time of year but all the same was not refreshing. Could be a little cleaner. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2010 - $45.00

I am not sure where to start. We could not locate this KOA on this web site, we were looking in the wrong area of the site. OH MY GOD! When we arrived all my husband could do was say HOLY (you know what)! This place is a dump!!! We had heard about KOAs but we had just stayed at one the night before and it was nice. Let me begin by saying when we arrived the roads are horrific, I needed the bathroom so upon arrival I went straight to it. I had to hold my breath! I caught my husband as he was walking out of the office and told him "Let's leave." He had already paid for the night. I had to suck it up and get through the night. We were in A-18, next tot the pool. It was GREEN! The pool furniture was old and rusted and mostly broken! Now this was the clincher. At 9:45 PM the ground rumbled as if we were having an earth quake. It was a train less 100 yards from us. That was the first of four within six hours. They began blowing the horns several miles down the track and continued all night long. We left and 5:00 AM. What a dump, we will never go to a KOA ever again. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2010 - $45.00

I have read the reviews on this park, and partly out of curiosity I had to see it for myself. If you take all of the reviews that rate it less than a half star, you can deduct another 10 points. The roads are by far the worse I have ever seen; the sites are not big enough to get large RV in and out of. Walking from the sign stating "Leave your RV here and walk to the office" you are lucky that you do not twist an ankle with the large rocks that surround the entire park. The registration area is cluttered with junk; the so called store is disgusting along with the laundry room and the bath house's/restrooms. It was Memorial Day weekend and they allowed a large group of locals to have a drunken bash in the lower end of the park. The next day I asked one of the work campers if this is how the park is run on a day to day basis. He stated, "Yeah, it's a dump isn't it?" The wireless did not work; the electrical tripped several times due to worn plugs. The pool was disgusting along with the pool furniture. Local children were playing in the dump station, and I mean in the dump station. Why does KOA allow this dump to operate under the franchise name? They should be ashamed to list this place. The staff could not care less about anything other than taking your money. If you are in the area and want to see what a real dump is make sure you stop in, be ready to be amazed to see how terrible it really is. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2010 - $48.00

This is the prime example of what not to be! From the moment you enter the park it is a dump to the point you depart! The store is very run down, the soda coolers are filthy, dirty and full of some type of growth. The so called recreation room is terrible. The laundry room has a terrible odor along with the restrooms. I am shocked that not only KOA but the local government allows this place to be open. It is truly disgusting. Now for the sites. The electrical is very old and damaged; we never got above 105 volts AC at any time! The water smells as if it is sewer water; we actually took a sample to send to our local water service provider to see if it is contaminated. The wireless did not work at all. The owners could not care less what you think about the park; they stated "We did not rope you in here!" Stay away, drive on by this dump We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2010 - $42.00

Ok, now I know the previous reviews were bad and we should have taken the time and drove on to San Antonio. But, we read the last review and decided to see this "rustic" park. I am not sure what their term of rustic is but this is not my idea of it. The roads are horrible, we are in a bus not a covered wagon. The sites are somewhat level but very narrow. We were in "A" Section near the train tracks. And yes, it did pass through three times that night. They begin blowing the horn a couple of miles down the tracks. I am not sure about the pool comments, it has been closed for several months. The bath houses are not well maintained, I would not use them. The water does have a rotten egg odor. Our electricity was ok but there's no Wi-Fi at all. Upon arrival we were told that we could just log on to the Wi-Fi. When we attempted to talk with them about the service they told me: "It must be your computer." I have not had any problems in the past. The owner stated: "You may think about a wireless card then!" This park is not rustic by any means. This is a run-down campground, not an RV park. KOA and the hosts/owners need a refresher course on customer service. I suggest passing this one by. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2010 - $42.00

I have been here over two weeks and I have yet to find a dirty bathroom or shower and I have used them all. I don't understand why you folks call this place a dump. Yes, It is very rustic with lots of trees. The roads do need some work but they are not bad enough to cause equipment damage. I did not find any "Rotting Trailers" or a "Green Pool" The pool is nice and clear. The drinking water does not stink. The closest RV spot is better than 100 yards form the RR tracks not "100'" but yes the Train is loud. The Train comes thru once in the middle of the night (so far) and twice during the day. The owner and staff have been most helpful. This place is for people who like the rustic outdoors of South Texas. If that's not your cup of tea then stay away. We camped at Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) in a Motorhome.

Ranch RV Park

Marathon, Texas

River View RV Park

Marble Falls, Texas

Riverlake RV Park

Mathis, Texas

Are you affiliated with Mustang Hollow Campground (formerly Lake Corpus Christi Mathis KOA) ?