AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort

Recent Rate: $17 1/2013

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Central Modem Central Modem yes

krb

Date of Stay: January, 2013 - $17.00

Rate is based on monthly fee. We spent a month here to visit and explore the Rio Grande Valley area of Texas. Older park in need of some updating. Nice small pool and hot tub. Nice clubhouse with a few activities. Nothing special. We had a FHU 50 amp site right next to the road with lots of road noise. All sites are back in. Our site had a concrete patio, not all sites have this. We also had a grapefruit tree on our site. Free wi-fi at clubhouse only. If you want it at your site, you have to pay extra. Heard it wasn't a very good signal. People staying at park and employees were nice. We would not stay here again. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Tom Seeley

Date of Stay: January, 2013 - $23.00

Older. Most sites perpendicular to park roads, but with care you can back in. Concrete pad for chairs, etc. lots of birders. Close to good birding sites. Some planned activities and outings. I had site 67. I needed to borrow their huge wrench to get the sewer inlet cap off! THEN as soon as I inserted my hose and opened my black waste valve the line completely backed up and overflowed you-know-what all over the back end of my site!!! Needless to say we could not dump at that site or anywhere else at the park without considerable inconvenience. I was not a happy camper when we left. It's not a bad park. They try hard and they do a lot well. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Jay Rutherford

Date of Stay: February, 2012 - $25.00

Our review of this park from last year is still valid. This year we returned for two weeks. The park was full during our visit, with many people there for the winter. The park is older but well maintained. The managers are very helpful and the occupants were uniformly friendly. There are two water systems in the park (municipal and private well), and customers are welcome to use all the well water they want for RV and car washing, which was good in the middle of a long journey. The park is 3 miles from Bentsen State Park and the World Birding Center. We'd stay again. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Conmoto

Date of Stay: January, 2012 - $25.00

This campground is filled with mostly winter Texans and the folks we met were very friendly. The park is older but well kept. The pool & hot tub were sparkling clean. The small laundromat had new machines. Lots of activities if you like to join in. Just 2 miles north of the World Birding Center which was fantastic. Nice area with tropical weather. We would definitely stay here again. The only negatives were gravel instead of cement pads, the water & electric hookups were too low to the ground, and our site was near a busy road so we had some traffic noise. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

hankster36

Date of Stay: November, 2011 - $15.00

A very nice, small park which I prefer for long stays. It is an older park but pretty well maintained. I stayed in Americana for three months. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They had several water problems so be sure to fill your fresh water tank. The Wi-Fi was flaky. I was close to the clubhouse (71) where the router is located so I had pretty slow reception most of the time. People any further away had to go to the clubhouse. The site was preferred; it had a nice concrete patio and was quite large but had only 30 Amp service. Cheaper sites behind me were all gravel but had 50 Amps!? The salt water pool is small but very nice and never crowded. The hot tub was the favored spot. There were lots of activities and the area has no limit of attractions. I would stay here again. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Jay Rutherford

Date of Stay: March, 2011 - $24.00

We chose this park "blind" and lucked out. Our site had good shade much of the day and was spacious. Many sites had a concrete pad next to the parking location plus a paved walk from the road to the pad. The rate shown included full hookups and no additional charge for electric. Most of the people in the park appeared to be here for the winter and came from the upper midwest US or central and western Canada. Everyone was very friendly and welcomed us for our 8 day stay. The managers in particular were outgoing and helpful. Laundry was clean as were restrooms. There are frequent activities and field trips offered to guests during the winter. All sites were back-in. Some "super premium" sites had no shade, nor did the "standard" sites on the south side of the park, a factor to consider as it was sunny and in the mid-80s in mid-March. The atmosphere in the park was very relaxed. Wi-Fi was available at the recreation building but our Verizon and Virgin Mobile air cards were slow. The amazing Bentsen State Park and World Birding Center is just two miles south of the park. It is a must-see! No cars are allowed into the park, so walking or biking is enjoyable. Although there are many campground choices in the vicinity, we would stay in this campground again due to the nice staff and guests. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Motorhome.

sandrag

Date of Stay: January, 2011 - $40.00

From the moment we arrived, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Many of the residents come back every year, but were still friendly. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There were plenty of activities available as well as the birding center in the park. The laundry was a little small for the size of the park. The bathroom and showers were clean. The clubhouse and lounge were very nice, too. The only complaint was that the lots for the "transients" were very tight. It was fine for the first week but then someone else moved in beside us and they were right on top of us. I would definitely stay here again but stay in a larger (more expensive) lot. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Mark & Teri

Date of Stay: April, 2010 - $18.00

Rate reflects a weekly ($129.99) special. We really liked this park. Not as many fancy amenities as others in the Rio Grande Valley, but big sites under very large trees, super friendly managers, good laundry facility. Also a great lending library and a comfortable clubhouse. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

HobbyTalk

Date of Stay: January, 2010 - $19.00

Overview: It is a mature park. I hesitate to call it an older park as it wears it's age well. With the maturity of the park comes many of the things that attracted me to it. It is a smaller park with about 125 spaces, lots of mature trees for ample shading for most of the spaces and just enough facilities to make it enjoyable.? ?AmeriCana is in a good location close to I-83. It is only 3 miles from Bentsen State Park which is the birding capital to the world. There are many other RV parks in the vicinity so you will see many other Winter Texans biking and walking in the area.? ?This also puts it close to just about any big box store you could ever want, many eateries, movie theaters, malls and gas stations. A few blocks to the west is an area that is a bit run down but I never felt uncomfortable driving through the area. ? The lots are one of the most attractive features of AmeriCana. The premium lots are large compared to most parks in the area at the same price point. Each premium lot has a cement patio and is well shaded. Most RV parks would have split them in two and stuffed another RV in the same spot. Each lot has at least a couple of trees with ground cover instead of dirt or gravel. The RV sits on a gravel pad as does your tow vehicle or towed if you have one. The economy lots can be small and cramped with a gravel surface and no cement patio. I highly recommend paying the few extra dollars for a premium site. If you use satellite TV or internet be sure to let them know so you will get a lot with a clear view to the south. All sites are back in and there are lots to fit any size RV. Since this is a mature park the roads are a bit narrow. Two vehicles can pass side by side but that is about it. With the lots being as large as they are I did not observe anyone having a problem backing into their sites. I would guess that 25% of the lots taken by permanent seasonal units that were all kept up very nicely. Each site is full hook up with 30 and/or 50 amp service, water and sewer. Sewer hookups are towards the rear of the lot so make sure you have enough hose to reach, I needed 30 foot of hose. My site had 50 amp only but I have an adapter to hook it up to my 30 amp cable. I never had a problem with electric power or water pressure. The water is hard as it left a lot of water spots when I washed my truck. Cable TV is available through the local cable company. I did not use it as reception was very good for the 4 major networks using my over the air antenna. Free Wi-Fi is available in the park clubhouse only. Air card reception using Verizon was excellent. The park as a pool and hot tub located next to the clubhouse. While not huge they are adequate considering the size of the park. There is a nice patio around the pool/hot tub and it was always clean and neat. There are men and ladies bathrooms with showers located close to the pool. The bathrooms were nice and clean but the showers are a bit on the small size. The laundry room has 4 pay washers and dryers. Also available are mail boxes if you plan on receiving mail. The clubhouse has ample seating for activities and has a large kitchen that is used for weekly breakfasts and other activities. The park is very pet friendly and you will always see someone walking their dog. At the back of the park is a bird sanctuary. It is privately owned by one of the park seasonal residents and it provides a nice stop to have a nice short walk in a wooded area and view a few birds at the feeding station. There are a number of activities planned each day. This varies from Spanish lessons to Bible Study, Exercise classes, Poker, Pokeno, Computer help and bike rides. There are also a number of special events each month that are one time events. I did not participate in the activities but I seen the Pokeno, poker, Spanish lessons and the weekly jam session were very popular. Cost: I paid $130.00 weekly including electric. Daily rates are $30 with monthly rates are $400 not including electric. Good Sam is accepted for a few day on the daily rate. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at AmeriCana. The hosts are super friendly and helpful and all of the parks guests/residents were great. My favorite things was the ample shading and comfortable laid back atmosphere of the park. It was great to have birds in the trees throughout the park instead of a barren plot with little to no landscaping. Almost every evening I would sit on the patio just to relax in the shade and chat with the other guests as they walked by. Almost ever day a flock of parakeets would fly in to occupy the local vegetation. My neighbor had a a hummingbird feeder out and it was interesting to see them fly in to have a drink. I would highly recommend AmeriCana RV Park to anyone visiting the Rio Grande Valley and would suggest that you upgrade to a premium site if at all possible. I would have rated it a 10 if they had Wi-Fi throughout the park. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Workamper04

Date of Stay: January, 2010 - $14.00

This is a 55+ park with a combination of mobile homes, park models and various RVs. The RV sites are mostly on gravel but some are on grass. If you do get on a grass site, don't back too close to the fence, especially if you are heavy. Coming in or leaving after a rain on grass can be difficult. The spaces are rather close but the neighbors are normally friendly and many gatherings of chairs occur in the afternoons. This is a gated community at night. There are many activities offered at the park during the winter months. Many Winter Texans come from across America and Canada, developing this park into a very friendly community. It is down the road from the birding park that is on one of the major 'flyways' for birds coming from South America. The Quaker parrot thrives here and frequently will make visits in the morning and afternoon to feed, frequently stopping traffic on road. It is likely we will return here for another extended stay during the winter. If you are interested in a Baptist church in the area, the FBC in McAllen is an excellent choice with both preaching and music. They also post some services on the Internet. Currently Progresso in the Donna / Weslaco area is the only safe crossing into Mexico. Many at the park are here to have dental work done in Mexico. There is heavy Mexican troop concentration to assure your safety as this city depends totally on the American and Canadians who come to buy and have dental work done. I think most of the dentists actually live in TX and commute across to work to avoid the malpractice premiums they pass on to the patient. It is possible to have a crown totally done in a day as good as in America but for under $200 each. Donwes (a contraction of the city names) has a large flea market Wednesdays & Friday – Sunday. There is a large fruit market across the street daily. Expect traffic when the flea market is open. We made many trips to the fruit market! We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Motorhome.

zingy

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $13.00

I usually travel in an RV, but this time I'm renting an apartment in the resort. Small park, not many people here during this time of year. Very nice personnel, even the the maintenance man. Very nice people in the park. Has a salt water pool and spa, which I enjoyed almost every day. Located on Bentsen Palm Drive, which has a great wide street out front to ride a bike to the state park. There's a birding area in the back of the park which is my favorite part of the park. Follow the trail, in the center is an area with chairs to watch the bird feeders. They have a bin of bird feed, and a water fountain that can be plugged in to attract the birds. There's jugs to fill with water to put into the fountain. When walking through the birding trail, many birds flew all around. I sat to watch, but don't know enough to ID the birds. Great start to learning birding, which this area is famous for. One couple has 5 dogs with them, so they aren't fussy about that. I have two dogs, and it's great to walk them around because there are hardly any tack weeds/goatspurs like in the other parks we visited. They have a rec room that's not air conditioned during non-Winter Texas seasons, but is nice. The kitchen has beautiful blue tile work in it. "Library" is along a wall in the kitchen. Laundry room is open 24/7, is clean and all works. Restrooms with showers are also clean. This probably has the most mature landscaping in the RGV parks. Has big trees, with lots of birds in them. Guess there's some parrots that roost here for a while during the year. It was real windy in the Pharr area, but not in this park, but enough wind to keep it cooler this time of year. The apartment I'm in was the best rate in the valley (I'm looking to buy a home in a resort). It was spacious, had a private patio to let my dogs do their business. But all their apartments have about three dozen pictures on the walls in each room. Had pokemo (?) 3 times a week during the summer. I had fun playing it with my neighbors here! Near a Dollar General, for a quickie supply stop. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Campground Cabin.

retired rover

Date of Stay: December, 2008 - $30.00

This RV park has greatly deteriorated in a year's time. We camped here for two months last year -- the fabulous manager couple has been replaced by six totally inept, unfriendly persons. The birding area has grown over. Electricity comes and goes, as does water pressure. No picnic tables, Wi-Fi only in office. Will not be back. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

nbi600

Date of Stay: January, 2008 - $22.00

We paid half price with Passport America membership - with restrictions. The sites are close together. The entrance is poor for big rigs. If you tow a car it would be best to disconnect before entering the park. Our 50A electric was very poor, the sewer connection needs a very long hose. There is a laundry & WiFi in rec room, planned activities, small pool and spa. We would not stay again. We camped at AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort in a Motorhome.

Seven Oaks RV Park

Mission, Texas

Green Gate Grove (55+ park)

Mission, Texas

Are you affiliated with AmeriCana: The Birding Center RV Resort?