Paradise Lake Family Campground

Appomattox, Virginia

Recent Rate: $35 10/2014

• yes-stream Waterfront

sassien24502

On a positive note, it was quiet up until Saturday night. The staff was friendly when we registered. They put us in a fairly newer site which was completed in July. I asked at registration if our satellite would work in that particular spot. The clerk stated no one had said anything about NOT getting it. So we went to the site which I will say was pretty level for a gravel site. We let out the slides, got all set up and no satellite signal. No cable either. I will say there are a lot of things for children - playgrounds, train on Fridays, bonfire on Friday, etc. There is a hiking trail around the lake, too. We were here when the pool was closed so we can't give an opinion about that. There are a LOT of permanent campers here. In regards to Saturday night, there was loud country music blaring all over. For those who are not country music fans - be prepared for this. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Nicholas Morgan

My family and I camped here 5/13-5/19. The campground appeared very clean. The restrooms were cleaned every other day and were well stocked with toilet paper. I was told by a store employee that they renovated both of their cabins and are in the process of renovating the cottage with plans of purchasing additional cabins. The store employee's were very helpful and friendly during our stay. The pool was opened 3 days before we checked out and we did enjoy that. We were told the lake is stocked with fish, but we did not fish while we were there. We stayed on a 50 amp FHU site and found that our power and water pressure were adequate. There is a Wi-Fi hotspot around the store area. There are some potholes as mentioned by previous reviewers, but there is also a 15MPH speed limit sign so if you go slow enough they shouldn't cause any issues. We have stopped here a couple times in the past and I am glad we did not listen to some of the past reviews of this campground, because we thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Motorhome.

LowesTravels

I'm afraid I wasn't thinking "paradise" when we arrived at this park, nor during our stay. This is basically an older trailer park with some spots for transient RV's. My opinion is that several of the former reviewers were generous with their ratings. The park is fairly quiet, being off any main roads. Access is over a "pothole-a-plenty" paved road, and I had to contend with low tree branches scratching my motorhome. This is an item that really bothers me because it can be handled via inexpensive maintenance. So, this issue and several others confirmed that maintenance was sadly lacking here. I was able to get fairly level at my site, but many others were not close to level. Although I had a 50 amp hookup, my meter showed a fluctuating 108 volts, not enough to run my AC. Water pressure was less than 30 psi. The bathrooms and showers were adequate and cleaned daily. The pool and lake access look like they would be fun for kids. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit. This place may be suitable for folks in trailers wanting to visit for short periods, but not for larger units needing decent utilities and site access. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Motorhome.

CapeGreen

This campground is set back about a mile from the main highway. The road from the main highway is in poor condition with many potholes. When arriving at the entrance, there is an unmanned booth and no security gates. The office/store is located halfway around the main CG road. We arrived late, drove around to the office, which was closed, as we expected, to get our site info which they said they would leave for us, and then discovered that our site was located back near the entrance. Our site was level. In the morning, I noticed that although the CG was practically empty, our site was located adjacent to their storage area where 4 or 5 old dirty trailers sat in weeds (not a pretty sight). I went over the office at 9am and the store was closed and had no posted hours. After lunch, we left for a few hours and while we were out, I received an email welcoming us to the CG and to “come down to the office to check in as soon as possible and pay your remaining balance.” Sometime during the late afternoon, I did just that, but the office was once again closed. I returned at 5:45pm and this time was greeted by a CG employee. I was not impressed with customer service after receiving that email. The public restrooms are clean but very dated. Had to hold shower valve open for shower. There is a lake with a swimming area on the property and the beach has several covered picnic tables. There are a couple of pavilions on the property, a volleyball court, softball field and game room. There is also a “barn” on the property. At least that’s what it’s called on the CG map. The barn is a small 2 story building that is located in the middle of a row of campsites. It really should be torn down because it’s about to fall down. It appears to me that this property may double as a swim club in the summer months (or did at some point in time). If we return here, it is only because we have family in the area and this most accessible CG to them. The campground as a whole seemed to need much cleanup and work. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Frank Rader

No reliable internet at site. Water connection tight. Electric good. 1 bar ATT. Level site. Moderate shower pressure. Very clean pool. Nice concrete pad at each site for camper entrance. This is a family destination camp with substantial lake waterfront and kid oriented stuff. Very quiet. Very pleasant bird and animal noises and good place to have a campfire and listen to and watch birds. We will return. From 10, -1 Internet, -1 shower pressure, -1 bath house needs update, -1 potholed entrance road. +1 bird songs, +1 camper entrance pad. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Tent Trailer.

judb

This park is in a beautiful natural area and the nearest one to Lynchburg. Other than this there is not much to recommend. Facilities are old and in need of repair. Management is almost non-existent. At entry to park is a unmanned guardhouse with a sign saying you must go to office to register; however, there is nothing anyplace to tell you where the office is located. We encountered four others who suffered the same confusion. In the three days we were there, the office was open only for a few hours one day. The men's restroom had no tissue the first day and no heat on even with the temperature at 34 degrees one morning. Sites are level, but with only a little gravel, very spotted grass and a lot of red dirt. It rained for two days so, with two dogs, we were constantly cleaning red mud out of our trailer. The rate is very high considering the facilities. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

shenandoahvalley

We used this CG as an overnight while visiting the Appomattox National Park. I could not get the GPS to find the address and the entrance is poorly marked, just a double sided sign. The entrance is over a very high RR crossing (so high it caught and bent one of our stabilizers) so exercise caution. The entrance road is full of potholes so drive slowly. The transient area is ok, nice pull throughs with convenient hookups and as we were here during the week it was quiet. Rate shown is PPA good for one night only. CG is ok for a overnight stop. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

tmarshall7

I should have known from the other reviews, but I was hoping since the last was posted in 2009, things had changed. I was wrong. The only reason I stayed was lack of other cg's in the area. There are so many things I would list as bad, I'll just say what was good. The pool. It was nice and clean, but was certainly the exception to the overall quality and cleanliness of cg. It should be called Paradise Pond as the "lake" is really no more than a farm pond with stale green water and an awful bug (mosquitos, gnats, etc.) problem. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Motorhome.

User755

This is an ok park for an overnight stay, pull through & back-in sites were crowned, had to use all our levelers. Bathrooms clean, but dated. We assumed they were closing since the deck chairs & tables were filthy with tons of leaves on the deck deck, boats were full of water after a rain 1 week prior. I still don't understand why these parks advertise Wi-Fi when it is only available at the office. The surrounding national park and town were just beautiful. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

tomk

Site was not level and I had the rear tires off the ground to get close to level. Access and interior roads were pretty poor. The Wi-Fi was only available at office when they are open. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Motorhome.

DB_Engineer

Staff and seasonals/long-timers are all very friendly. Most of the short-term sites have at least some shade and a not too far off level. The pool and small lake are nice. The electric system needs upgrading. In our "50-amp" site, voltage dropped to a bare 110v during the hot afternoon running only one A/C. There appear to be only 3 50-amp sites for short-timers, all the rest are 30-amp. We also noticed that there is a tendency for the sewer hookups to be run over and damaged. Wi-Fi is only available close to the office. Overall a nice campground for a "kick back and relax" stay or to visit Appomatix, Lynchburg and surrounding areas, but short on organized activities. We've camped here 5 times this year, and have another stay scheduled. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

mellis68

Nice little country campground. Not too much to do at campground, few planned activities. Nice small pool and fun swimming lake. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

kwrightvt

Park was very nice. Sites were fairly level and there was shade available at most every camp site. The road into the park was fairly rough with lots of potholes. Very clean and quiet, even with quite a few seasonal campers. Lots of things for the kids to do including the lake, newly built pool, basketball and playground. The only negative thing about this park is the electrical connection. If you go, be sure to have a tester. Our site and several nearby only had 108 volts during the middle of the day. The voltage came up at night to 120, but worried us during the day. The kids really loved it though, so we will probably return. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

starcraft movein

This campground was very clean, but I would only return in warm weather and only if I am in the area. We just so happened to go here during this weird cold blast around Easter. The kids were bored because the recreation room was being built, and it was too cold to ride bikes or play in the playground. We didn't see any miniature golf as the website promotes, but maybe we just missed it. The bathhouses were very clean. The wi-fi is free, but only at the store and only when someone is in the office, which in April is not a set time. Our site had no phone hook up. I failed to ask when I called if the wi-fi worked at the sites or I would not have stayed here because we needed internet access. Oh yeah, if it is your first time here make sure you go towards the lake to the store to register. The little booth fooled us and some other first timers. The road to the campground has lots of potholes. The sites are mostly level and not too close. The lake is at the bottom of a hill, so most sites can't even see it. Leave your bikes at home because the downslope grade of the campground is not worth trying to ride. I can't give it a 10 like others because my experience was not as good, but maybe in the summer time it could be better. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

sparky

I was just there with my good sam group we had 12 rigs there --it was a wonderful weekend and we all enjoyed it there. We camped at Paradise Lake Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Paradise Lake Family Campground?