Prince William Forest RV Campground

Dumfries, Virginia

16058 Dumfries Rd
Dumfries, Virginia 22025

Ask fellow campers about "Prince William Forest RV Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $32.00

We have stayed here twice over the past few months, as it provides access, albeit distant, to Washington DC. Distance to VRE station is less than 30 minutes. This campground is a overpriced KOA in disguise. Having to pay additional for our granddaughter was an insult. That said, the sites are clean, but close together and very short. A 36ft site does not mean 37 or 36.5ft. There is a pool, which we did not use, but it appeared to be clean. The restrooms were generally clean, but still smelled of urine. Our 30amp power had a bad leg, but in actuality, the entire circuit did. Many systems would not fault on that but ours did. They blamed our rig, but after 25000 miles before Prince William and 5 campgrounds later, our system is still working fine. This CG is good for location, but I would not spend my vacation there. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

B2

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $55.00

A heavily wooded campground adjacent to the Prince William Forest park. The park has a nice pool area in the center of it with bathrooms, showers and laundry services. The park has no working wifi and does not offer cable. There are several different site options from water and electric only to full hook up sites. The sites along the center roads are pull through with the edge sites being back in. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F17
Fire Ring

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $56.00

The sites are very tight especially in the middle of the park. And the long ones in the back are very narrow - our site barely fit our car because we could not back up any farther or we would have hit the awning on the RV next to us. Nice wooded setting. Paved roads, the small interior sites are paved also. Quiet and clean park. The RRs are outdated, but clean. The lot attendant patrolled often and was personable and helpful. The office person needs to learn better customer service skills. I called ahead to ask if there were any special instructions to get into the park and she said "Well, you could use your GPS and do what it tells you." Really? This is customer service? When I explained that the GPS told us that we would have to make a u-turn to get it, she explained that this was inaccurate, that there was a left turn lane to get in and gave very good instructions. Once I arrived and gave her my name and site #, she said that she had to move us from the F row to the D row - this is from the back larger sites to the very small sites in the middle of the park. I explained that we will be here all week and reserved this spot back in March - we want the F row. She asked for the name of the person who gave me the site # three times - all I could tell her was that it was a very helpful man - I did not ask for his name. Then she said they do not guarantee sites. Well obviously I did not pull this site # out of thin air - its the # he gave me after describing the different kinds of sites! Then she asked if I paid the extra $5 to guarantee the site. No, I was not told I had to pay $5 extra or I would have. She finally relented and gave me the promised site (it was empty). She said she would have to "call the other people (who were coming in tomorrow) and explain." There are not a lot of options for the DC area. This RV park is quite workable if you do not mind tight spaces. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F14

I addition to all of the attractions in DC, go to Alexandria, VA - historic King Street is awesome and don't forget to check out the Torpedo Factory Art Center. The National Museum of the Marine Corps is a very short drive just SE of the campground. Go on a day where you can walk the mile long path to scores of memorials. It is a wide winding sidewalk - beautifully landscaped - gorgeous!

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $45.00

Very small sites, couldn't open awning or outside kitchen door, would have been sticking out in the road, night manager kicked us out 2 days early because Uber driver was driving fast. Would not even let us explain that we did not know this guy. We called the next day and they just blew us off, I wouldn't stay here!! This whole experience with this place has left me dissatisfied with the RV life style. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Prince William Forest RV Campground

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $44.00

There is a lot to like about this campground, but a lot that I really didn't like at all. First, the likes: -Campground staff were wonderful. -The bathrooms, showers, and pool were spotless. -We loved the mature trees all around and the walking trails in the park. -The location is convenient. -The price isn't bad. Now ... the dislikes: -The pavement was in bad shape all around. -The sites weren't level -Each campsite "row" was basically treeless, with no landscaping in between sites. -The sites weren't long enough to park your trailer and your car, and we have a small trailer. You have to park your car next to your trailer, making your space even smaller. And, even our small trailer was close to hanging out into the road. -The sites in E loop (and A through D) were practically on top of each other. There was only a small strip of grass in between each of them. Each row was basically a parking lot, and I despise that type of campground. -You have to pay extra for a fire pit, which is absurd. In the end, it was disappointing to have a parking lot style campground in a national park. We were in town for my son's soccer tournament, and if we have that tournament next year I might come back to this park, but only because it's convenient to the soccer fields. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

E13
Not big enough for my travel trailer

The Marine Corp Museum is pretty close. Also, if you need food or supplies, there's a Target just a couple of miles away.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $35.00

Staff were helpful and friendly. Bathrooms were clean and well maintained. Showers looked clean and roomy although I showered in my camper. Campground is just of I-95 and convenient to DC, Mount Vernon, Arlington and other sites in the area. The Franconia Metro station is nearby and we used that to day trip into DC. There is a pool but it was not open yet. Roads were good and well maintained. The sites on F-loop are intended for small RVs and popup trailers. Were were in a 25 ft travel trailer. The site was a little short. I fit by parking the truck at an angle. These sites are very unlevel as well. I used all of my stabilizer blocks and leveling blocks to get close to level. First step up was pretty high to get in. Also had to switch from F3 to F5. F3 was just not doable. If your rig is bigger that 24 feet don't use F-1 through F8. The full hookup sites at the end of F loop are level. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

F 5
Fire Ring

They also have several dry storage parking area you can rent by the day. We used one for 12 dollars. On our last day we packed up and left the camper there drove over to Mt. Vernon. Stopped in on our way home and picked up the camper. Very handy if you live south of DC.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $35.00

Very clean, easily accessible with excellent service and convenient to I-95. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

C12

IHOP was close, convenient and good service and food.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $54.00

For what you get, it sure is very high. I don't usually complain about price, but there is nothing to offer. Electric was so, so when the AC's were on. Sewer connection was not very convenient. It was at the end of site. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

D14

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

There is shopping in the area. There is a Walmart near by. The site had broken concrete all over.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $54.00

This campground was a total disappointment and is overpriced. It is not being maintained well. Roads have deteriorated. Sites are unbelievably short. There are issues with adequate and intermittent power. In desperate need of rehabilitation and redesign to accommodate modern rigs. Short RV's may find it adequate. We will not be back to this facility. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F
Asphalt, Gravel

Good location for shopping at Potomac Mills and reasonably close to I-95

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $46.00

We really liked this place - in spite of the fact that it didn't have cable, and that it was a good 20 min.+ from the nearest Metro! Our site was level, shaded, peaceful, and the staff, when we did see her, was super nice. I just wish we could have stayed longer - but they were already booked! Nice place. I did notice other site had some rough spots that could make for some leveling problems, so it might depend on where you got assigned, I guess. Oh, and the WiFi pole was right next to us, so reception was great!! We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F12

This was our "home-base" to go into Washington DC using the metro - so, of course, lots to see and do! Give yourself at least a week! One tip we learned if you want to go inside the Washington Monument, you need to be there by 7am to get a (free) timed ticket. They run out by about 10am! No matter the season! They start giving them out around 8:30am.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $40.00

Price is good for the area. Greatly enjoyed our 6 night stay. Sites: Yes, sites are tight, and really long RV's may find some sites too short (our 32' MH (2 slides)was fine, but toad had to be separated.) All sites seemed level. Table, wrapped water (for winter use) and 50 amp electric + sewer fine. Paved interior roads, hard gravel sites. Employees are very friendly and helpful. Pool was exceptionally clean and large enough for all. WiFi was weak (as usual for campgrounds). Our Site (D7) good for Sat TV, but many others iffy. Bathhouses immaculate and shower stalls large! Campfires only allowed in raised fire rings. They had them for rent $6/night. Could only us their firewood (local and state regulations). Good Sam park. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

D-7

Target and grocery stores less than 1.5 miles away. Good local pub within 1 mile. Great steamed crabs at Crosby's Crab House, about 7 miles west. Easiest way to do DC is to drive to Metro (about 18 miles away) and go from there. Quick and easy. Absolutely no way to park in DC!

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $53.00

We stayed 4 nights to see the area as there isn't much to choose from in the area.

The park has easy access to & from Interstate 95.

The campground is on NPS land. It was built on hill so there might be a hand full of sites that are close to being level. The vast majority of the sites have a 2 directional slope making it difficult to get level including the new 80' back in sites for big rigs. Only F16 & F17 are close to being level.

The interior roads are paved but very narrow with tree encroachment from above and sides. A lot of the trees could use some trimming but being on NPS land that probably won't happen. The sites are a mixture of pavement and gravel. There isn't much privacy between the sites because they are very close to each other.

The tree canopy made satellite reception difficult to impossible. A few sites could get reception by setting up the dish outside of their sites with long runs of cable across the roads. A few sites in the center of the CG around the pool in the "C" row had the best chance to get satellite reception but they seem to be water & 30 AMP electric only. Was told that site F17 had gotten satellite reception in the past. That is no longer a possibility. It seems that none of the new 80' back in sites (F12 to F18) had any chance of getting satellite reception.

The broadcast channels did not include any of the major networks with sufficient reception for a satisfactory picture.

WiFi reception was surprisingly good except in the rain.

The designated fenced pet area was adequate. There was sufficient area to walk dogs along the park roads. There was a bag dispenser next to the fenced dog area to pick up waste and a can to dispose of waste.

A couple of dumpsters available around the campground.

For being in a hazardous/severe weather area, there was no underground storm shelter. None of the structures in the park were identified as a severe weather shelter.

Would not stay here again. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F17

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $40.00

Stayed here for one week while attending some training nearby. Park is over-priced for what you get. Campground is right next to Rt 234 (4 lane) so cars and trucks are driving by and making noise all night long. Spots are so narrow and right on top of each other, that I can sit in my trailer and talk to my neighbor in his through the window. WIFI is so slow as to be unusable. Campground was largely empty and although I spent $280 for the week, when I asked ahead of time to checkout an hour and half late (due to a meeting) they charged an additional fee. Also charged extra if you wanted a fire...they remove the rings so you can't build one unless you pay to have them bring you a ring. Bathroom wasn't terribly dirty, but sinks weren't clean all week long. There are better places for less money and I wouldn't stay here again given the other choices. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Tent Trailer.

C2

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $27.00

The spaces are pretty close together and they don't give you lots of length space either. The person working the office was friendly and helpful. We don't use the shower house, so I can't say if it was clean or not. It is about 18 miles to a DC metro line, so it was convenient for getting to DC to sightsee. It was ok for a one night stay, but I think the next time we may stay elsewhere. The sites were level, although tight. We chose the secluded spot without sewer, thinking we would have more privacy, and we did, but that was only because everyone else chose full hookups, thereby not filling up our row. Convenient and clean. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

B5

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $59.00

We visited over Easter Weekend, so many of the amenities, e.g., pool, boating were not open. That said the park was spotless, the staff helpful and very friendly and the sites easily accessible. As previously mentioned, the park is close to DC and makes it an affordable base for visiting DC. We enjoyed the walking through the trails of Prince William Forest. Only challenge was leveling our 38 foot coach. Success was achieved after moving from F18 to F16. That said, we would highly recommend it and will return. We camped at Prince William Forest RV Campground in a Motorhome.

F16
Concrete, Gravel

Featured Campgrounds Near Prince William Forest RV Campground

Are you affiliated with Prince William Forest RV Campground ?