4.1 Poor

• Hiking Hiking no
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no
  • Putt Putt Mini-Golf Putt Putt Mini-Golf yes

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

This is an old KOA campground that hasn't had any maintenance work done since it was a KOA except for mowing the grass and planting shrubs around the office. The RV sites are far from level and many have been abandoned. The tent area hasn't had anything done to it for what looks like years. The pool water looked clean but it hadn't been vacuumed in some time. The laundry room had old machines and the room had a lot of cobwebs. We didn't venture into the bath houses. That being said, there are a few sites that are still in half decent shape if you are looking for a place to stay and not use any amenities. We stayed in site 5 with water and electric. Sites 1 through 8 are the only RV sites that I would stay in- they are not very level but are mowed and have fire rings. Site 4 is the best RV site in the campground- it is level and has morning shade. There are a few good RV sites on the other side of the swimming pool but 1 through 8 are the only ones I would recommend. We stayed in site 5 and didn't have enough blocks of wood with us to level the trailer. But it was a good place to sleep and we didn't expect anything more. Nice place to sleep if you are going to do the Shenandoah National Park and don't expect anything more than a site to sleep. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $41.00

Sites were not level nor maintained. The campground was in poor condition. Sewer was slanted away from the site. Made hookup very difficult. Picnic table unusable. Restrooms were poorly lighted, in bad repair and dirty. Same for the showers. No cable or tv signal. This could be a nice campground if cleaned and fixed up. No wonder it is not a KOA anymore. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Great experience with Front Royal Canoe Co. Service was great. Very friendly staff.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $35.00

This place is old and rundown. It used to be a KOA. My electricity kept going out. The owner came and replaced the unit inside the box - which was so full of leaves and cobwebs that I had to go get my canned air to clean it out. He was trying to use a screwdriver. The road was so bad going out that my rear bumper hit and destroyed one of my bumper hatch covers. The grounds are run down and old. I'm not sure I would recommend even for a one-nighter. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $43.00

Dilapidated former KOA accessed by a long and narrow road through the field of a farm where cows are roaming. The entire place is in different levels of disrepair and neglect. Bathrooms are dirty and lit by a single bulb hanging from the ceiling. Clubhouse is used for storage and can't be utilized. Mini golf is broken and the pool is in such a shape that I wouldn't use it. All in all, this is a park to stay away from. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $44.00

This was a KOA a very long time ago. Would never meet their standards today. Spaces small, very unlevel, big potholes in roads, NO internet (even though they say there is), no TV, noisy. Broken picnic tables, very little gravel, grass very high and overall very poor. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

P

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $40.00

This campground has a lot of potential & there are obviously many folks who like it as it was pretty much full on a late October weekend.
The road to the campground was narrow, single lane & through a farm. Was concerned what would happen if someone came the other way, luckily not.
Did not use any of the amenities; pool was closed for the season, playground was big & full of kids, mini golf looked like no one had touched it for years. Laundry facility looked clean although machines were older models.
Our site had a beautiful view of the Mountains. It was fairly level & all services were easy to reach.
Access roads with in the park need work, full of potholes. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $40.00

I really don't understand the negative reviews. We stayed here three nights. Yes there are some sites that are not totally level but there are many very level spots. My husband is hiking the AT so it is a great location just outside the Skyline Drive. He used the campground showers every day and they were clean. I did laundry and I have no complaints there. The pool is great. We travel with our two dogs and there is a wonderful area to walk them. The Kim family that owns the campground are very kind and helpful. I would camp here again. WiFi worked well. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

sml

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $33.00

Rustic with nice wooded area for tents, small pop-ups, and small trailers. We camped in a meadow area. The pool was sparkling and well maintained. The place could use some renovations. The owners were elderly and very friendly and easy going. We spent three days there without any problems. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Town of Front Royal a must for Civil War Buffs. Lots of Buildings in Historic Section of town from the 1700s.

Date of Stay: October, 2015 - $38.00

Overall campground was in total disrepair. Hard to get in and out of. Staff was nice. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $36.00

Park is not well maintained. Restrooms and showers were not clean. The pool was huge, but the deck and fence were in bad shape. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $46.00

We, myself,son-his girlfriend and my 7,6,2 year old grand daughters camped for the first time at Front Royal RV Campround this past weekend Aug 15-17. The campground didn't fit the description on their website- the hot tub was broken, bath house closed where we were camping, other one was by the office at the opposite end of the campground. Site was small and uneven. There weren't any activities for the girls and there were no other children to be seen, campground had lots of open sites for a weekend stay. For adults only it would be very quiet. We were disappointed and will not stay there again. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $55.00

We stayed there a single night as we were passing by. The main attraction was that the owners were willing to allow late-night check-in. The sites were far from level, but we did OK with our auto-leveler in our 37 foot rig. 50 amp power was OK. There was a pool, but we really didn't check anything out. The store had the basics, but some things had no prices, so the owner just made something up (though not unreasonable). We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $41.00

I concur with some of the comments posted by others. This is a former KOA that is run by a couple. I personally had a nice stay here. The owners were very friendly to me. They had limited Wi-Fi and I got my Dish tailgater to work. The issues I had were that the tenting areas did not look well maintained, the fishing pond dam broke resulting in a mud pit, there was trash along the fishing pond trail as well as some tent campsites and the store had what looked like items left by previous campers in it presumedly for sale. It looked like the owners were trying to maintain a large campground by themselves and were not able to get to everything. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $40.00

This place suffers from what can best be described as "ex-KOA syndrome." A number of parks have given up KOA affiliation because of the franchise costs. This one, unfortunately, was acquired by someone who did not undo all the Kampground of America stuff, including the name of the private road on which it's located, and some of the interior signage. It's not helped by the fact that the current owners appear to be an Asian couple who barely speak English. Cell phone signals are just about nonexistent in this part of the Blue Ridge, and the same is true of broadcast TV. But there's no cable TV here, and the wi-fi server the park owners mentioned was not usable. Fair enough: you don't go camping to watch TV or fiddle on Facebook, but we were here during a week of horrible weather, coupled with the federal government shutdown, and some news from the outside world would have been welcome. But digging deeper, there are some real maintenance issues with this park, and some dubious claims made in their advertising. The "meeting room" or whatever you'd call it appears not to have been used in years. The mini-golf course is a wreck. I doubt that either the water slide or swimming pool are operational in-season, and the pool was yucky and only partially drained. We stayed here a week, and the roadside trash cans that were full when we arrived were twice as full when we left. "Mister" owner seemed to be very eager to check out each RV site, almost as soon as the campers had turned the corner around the office to leave, yet there was trash left sitting in some of the tent-camping sites for days. It sounds cynical, but it almost seemed as though the owner was checking the RV sites in the hope of finding that someone had left behind something valuable that he could, um acquire for himself. Grounds maintenance is a shambles. There's not nearly enough ground cover, whether vegetation or gravel, so we were up to our ankles in muck. Some discarded bits of the railroad ties that mark off the campsites were underfoot, and the spikes holding the existing ties were sticking out of the ground. I spent some time correcting the tripping hazards just in our campsite. None of the water standpipes has a back-flow preventer (anti-siphon device), which I believe is a violation of the state health code. And the openings for the sewer hookups are about an inch below ground level! When I opened our sewer cap, I had to wait for a few gallons of standing groundwater to flow INTO the pipe before I could attach the hose from my coach. All this is a real shame, because the underlying layout of the park is quite nice (although you do drive through a dairy farm to get to it.) This place could be rehabbed into a very nice RV park by someone willing to close sections of it and re-do all the site work, but I don't think this current owner is that person. He seemed to stay very busy, but it wasn't obvious that he was accomplishing anything. Someone shoot me if I ever stay here again! We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $40.00

Many people would give this park less than a 7 however, I was very happy here. We have a 43 foot motor home and granted the sites on the hill top were too small for our rig, I would not have been happy there at all. In fact we were, then we asked to move to a site on the bottom of the hill. I am so glad it was open. Site number 1 was large, flat, on the end, and shaded, but we got our satellite to work. Site 1 faced the sewer dump station, but that got very little use and was not a problem in any way. I think sites 2, 3 and 4 would have been ok also. It did only have 30 amps and it was real hot out (93 degrees), so we had to rotate our AC's and used the diesel hot water instead of electric, but we were close to a large pool in which I loved. It is located just outside of the Shenandoah Park which is real nice, since that is what we were here for. The people are friendly. We signed in for 2 nights but wound up staying 4 nights. The park was a KOA, it is becoming a little run down, but for me it was just fine: due to our site and the pool. We camped at Front Royal RV Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Front Royal RV Campground ?