Skyline Ranch Resort

Front Royal, Virginia

nazpaz

We are here as RPI members and I expected a rate of $10 a night. However, upon arrival I was told that since my rig is wired for 50 amps I had to take a 50 amp site (normally 50 amp rigs have two air conditioners but ours has only one so we do fine on 30 amps) and that it was going to cost me another $5 a night. Then, when I paid with my credit card I was charged another $6. Our $10 a night quickly turned into almost $17 a night. The majority of the campground is in nice woods with a view of the mountains which pretty much surround the campground. However, we found ourselves in the last campsite parked in a small field - at least I was able to get satellite with no problems and we have a big front yard, sadly, there's no mountain view. There are several nice features here: a nice activity center, a big pool, a nifty mini-golf course, a min-chapel that hosts regular church services, and several activities scheduled for the weekend. We’re literally 10 minutes from Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park and about an hour from Washington DC. There’s strong Wi-Fi but it’s $3 a day. I’ve opted to stay on my Verizon hotspot even though it’s a weak 3G (and that's using a Wilson Sleek booster). I note that several reviews mention stinky water. We haven’t found that however my external water filter is now very dirty and needing to be changed after just five nights here. I'm giving the campground a 7 overall, but this particular site probably rates as a 5 or 6. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

joebud

The advertising of the "Resort/RV Park" led me to believe this would be better than what I actually observed. They messed up our joint reservations and the other party ended up with a very close quarters pull thru away from us. They claimed that our adjoining site was booked but no one ever occupied the site for the two days we were there. The water at this campground is terrible and they don't bother cutting or trimming overhanging branches that damage the trailers. I had to climb up on the roof to push limbs out of the way to extend or retract the slides. They have security but the individuals manning the security booth were older than Moses. One of the permanent guests had a trailer home and was burning green vegetation that smoked up the whole end of the campground we were parked in but no one from security did anything about it. Do yourself a favor and drive on by this campground it looks okay from the road but that's all. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

jim65

Stayed as Coast to Coast. CC directory showed cable but not available. Brown water. Staff stated it was well water and nothing could be done to correct. Club house is nice. Site was level. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

SilverBear

RPI rate with 50AMP. This campground is better than the previous reviews indicate but with one problem I would call major. The well water is not good. We did not get sick but there is definitely a problem. My in line filter was useless after 4 days connected to the CG system. The water ran dark brown off and on but the last day was the worst. Several campers complained to the office and they didn't seem to care. The sites are neat, mostly level, gravel. The pool and spa, clubhouse and laundry room and restrooms were clean and tidy. We were greeted by very friendly folks when we first arrived but they had no answer for the water situation. The sewage treatment facility is deep in the CG and there were several times during my stay the smell was pretty bad. This is a good place to start from if one is visiting the Shenandoah National Park. The north entrance and beginning of Skyline Drive is minutes away from the CG. Wi-Fi is private and costs $3 per day to access. Clearwire 3G worked in the CG so we managed. I'm fearful of the water situation so probably won't return. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

1st time fulltimer

For Memorial Day weekend, we found it very disappointing that the sites were not maintained. Overgrown weeds in the rv sites, tent area needed mowing, which they mowed on Monday, when the majority of RVers were packing up to leave. Our neighbor who is a full time complained on Saturday so his area plus one other site was mowed on Sat. Didn't use the restrooms, but did use the laundry and it was not kept up very well; the pool's water looked "green" and cloudy. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

ktbug

We stayed here through Coast to Coast and will not be back! The office staff had an unfriendly attitude, we were put in the worst spot and told that was the only one even though we counted 18 available spots, the pool was green and full of algae, the restroom were dirty and had brown water, and the showers either didn't drain or had a broken shower head (your choice of the two). We informed them upon reserving that we had a child in a wheelchair and asked for a space near the bath house and amenities and were told no problem. When we got there the space was all the way in the back, as far away from everything as possible, except for the stables which were right behind us, giving us a lovely smell of manure and an unbearable amount of flies, so bad in fact, that we were unable to sit outside. The space itself was stuck on the side of the road and so small our truck didn't fit without hanging out in the road, we couldn't put our owning out but a little and our slide outs only fit if we pulled the camper way out close to the road. The activities we did attend included a hay ride where you had to sit on tarps, not hay, a bingo session where they had lost the balls and the person calling numbers chose at random from numbers called out by the participants (2 families). The "stocked" catch and release pond offered 1 fish, a 2 inch spot barely big enough to be bait, and a ton of ticks. This park obviously caters to members, everyone knows everyone else, and most were friendly to us, although they were loud at times. The only nice thing we found was the clubhouse, with a nice fitness center and restrooms, and a chairlift to get our wheelchair to the second floor, where the view of the mountains was nice. We have been avid campers for years and have camped up and down the east coast, and this was the worst campground we have ever been to. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Travel Trailer.

JOE TRANSOU

We stayed three nights there in May using our Coast to Coast. They put us on a very bad site that was in a hole and very hard to back in to with a forty foot fifth wheel. There was a fence right in front of the site and also it was from the blind side. As we walked through the park we saw plenty of very nice, large sites with no one on them. We did not understand why they would put us on a tight spot with a 40' camper when they had plenty of nice spaces. We talked with some other campers and they told us that Coast to Coast people were put on the worst spots they had so we agreed and had a good time anyway! They have the nicest lodge we have ever seen at a campground and we used it to watch TV two nights. It has a 60" TV with satellite and no one was ever in there so it was private for us at that time. Real nice place to go if you tell them first that you want one of their nice spots if available. We did not know that you had to ask first. We thought that they would put us on a good spot because it was in May and not many would be there at this time. Looks like they would want you to brag about the place and maybe come back. Go figure! This would be great for kids,too. It has a petting zoo and other things for kids to enjoy. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Tinkielynn

We stayed here as Coast to Coast members but this is not our home campground under that platform, so we were not able to select a specific site. When we got here, they put us in a site that was split level, meaning the site actually had some steps on it from where you parked to where your picnic table was, but they graciously let us switch to one more flat site because I don’t do steps very well. I asked if we could reserve a site in the future and the answer was no, as only owners can do so. The staff was SUPER friendly, very nice, chatting neighborly kind of folks. There was a nice large pool. The campground has 24-hr security and you have to stop at the gate when going in. The road in is paved, but from Rt 55 (off rt 66) it is many many miles out, through suburbs and then into a rural area and more than once we had to check our directions to make sure we were going in the right direction. WiFi was available for $3 a day, however, even after we paid (on-line) it was barely accessible the first two nights we were here. I will always complain about paying for WiFi, I truly believe it should be a free service. There was a methane gassy smell that kept swarming around us (to me it smelled like sewer). I was told not to worry, that smell came and went. My hubby thought they were having a sewer pump issue but no one confirmed it. Although the campground is relatively small in size, less than 100 spots, the game room is huge, separate sections for different things. Has a 9-hole putt-putt, but it was unattended the whole time we were here, could not find any clubs or balls to play. They have a really small (2 or 3 animal) petting farm with a mini horse, so the kids liked that. You can ride horses here (or rather rent them) but I heard it was pricey, something like $40 per session. The water was light brown from all of our faucets the entire time and when we asked around, everyone said that was “normal." We never drank it, just showered in our camper with it. The playground has some cool things for the kids to climb on and play around, but, and for me, this is huge: the playground is at the front of the campground, near the main road, and on a curve of a road marked 45mph, so imagine a car losing control. My kids played here until the first car barreled around the corner and then I made them come away. We picked this campground because of a reunion in the area. We might stay again, but not too sure. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Motorhome.

cKarlGo

The park was not bad, but the site I was in was amazingly difficult to get into, which defeated the point of a pull through site. The staff did not seem to be able to tell me how to correctly get into the site, and the map was not entirely accurate. Many of the sites appear to be permanent, which I subtracted for. There was a nice concrete patio pad. The sites across from me had a cookout one night with a lot of guests who appeared to be from outside the campground. Not the worst park I've been to, but not the best either. Not a place I'd likely return to. They charged an extra $5 a night for 50 amp, but the pull through sites only have 50 amp. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

2Scampers

This was our first and last stay at this campground. We stayed here as Coast to Coast. Upon our arrival, we were informed there was a $5 per night charge for any 30 amp RV which had 2 air conditioning units. As anyone knows, 30 amp rigs can only utilize one A/C unit at a time. We tried to explain this to management at the park and were unable to have them understand why we did not need a 50 amp site. We were forced to go to a 50 amp site and thus were charged the 50 amp per night fee of $5. This $5 was paid in advance for the entirety of our 14 day stay. We were informed by the management that we were there as Coast to Coast and therefore, they could charge us anything they wished. I questioned documentation of the policy and was told it was because the temperature was hot. (Actual temperatures during our stay were 70s and 80s). I did ask what would happen when winter came and was told "we haven't thought about that yet." We had experienced a mechanical problem while en-route and were unable to leave immediately. As soon as our repairs were facilitated, we did in fact leave without any refund for the remaining 9 days of our reservation. We attempted to make reservations at another Coast to Coast park and could not due to the fact that Skyline was still holding our points for the entire 14 days, thus we could not double book. A quick call to Coast to Coast resolved that issue and our points were released. After filing a resort complaint with Coast to Coast and explaining the situation there, Coast to Coast did in fact credit our points account in the amount of 7,000 points which equaled the $70 we should not have been charged by the resort. This issue is clearly a problem with the resort management and not that of Coast to Coast. Additional issues at the campground were the jacuzzi was not working as well as the water was tea-colored when we were leaving on Sunday. We will not be staying at this resort again and would caution all Coast to Coast members to call ahead and verify what fees they will incur. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Motorhome.

Wandering Wishnies

Older park with mostly seasonals, but nice feel to it. Heavily treed, no satellite reception. Tight interior roads. 5 miles from town. Brown water some times. Nice pool, but not heated. Price reflects CCUSA discount, otherwise, way over priced. We would return. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

fossil

We stayed here as Coast to Coast members, hence the rate. We were here early in the season so the rec. hall and other amenities were not available. However we found the place to be well kept, quiet, and very pleasant. Only complaint was that the water has heavy with iron and was quite rusty. I am told this clears as the season progresses. We are newbees, so have seen only a few places, but were happy with our stay. I plan on returning to drive Skyline in October. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

PattieAM

A very enjoyable campground - with amenities for all ages. Very nice petting zoo and playground for the little ones. Good entry roads, sites a bit unlevel, but for the most part gravel pads. Some sites are well spaced, others are rather close. Campground close to Skyline Caverns, Skyline Drive. Eateries, groceries available in Front Royal (Route 55 is easiest). We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Motorhome.

whizbang

Location a few miles form Front Royal was pretty convenient to Shenandoah Park and Front Royal. This is an older park. The clubhouse and pool are in outstanding condition. However, the roads in the park are tight to maneuver. Some spaces look close together. Ours was roomy enough. The very small bass pond has some fish in it. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Motorhome.

Barry & Diane

This RV park is a bit far from shops and restaurants but has good access to the Shenandoah National Park. They have a nice recreation room and Wi-Fi which you have to pay for. The campground has sort of a cowboy western theme going on which isn't really working for the restrooms we had to use. The flapping doors were not that convenient and the toilet didn't work properly. The sites are level and you get enough shade if you want to. The people are very nice and have a little convenience store if you need anything. We would stay here again, a bit expensive for one night though, even with the Camp Club USA discount we got. We camped at Skyline Ranch Resort in a Motorhome.

North Fork Resort

Front Royal, Virginia

Are you affiliated with Skyline Ranch Resort?