Pohick Bay Regional Park

Lorton, Virginia 22079

• Boating Boating yes
  • Mini-Golf Mini-Golf yes
  • Outdoor Courts Outdoor Courts yes

Ask fellow campers about "Pohick Bay Regional Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $25.00

I would have rated this park higher had it not been so expensive. Full hook-up is $45.00! We went with an electric site and paid $25, still high! Great location, good facilities and nice people made for a pleasant week. The main roads are paved, the sites gravel and level. You can dry camp, electric sites, or full hook-up. Plan ahead and make a reservation if you must have the full hook-up. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: May, 2009 - $44.00

We visited here for a weekend. What a nice little gem so close to DC (we stayed here to visit the regional park not DC but if we didn’t live so close it would be a great place to stay while visiting the DC sites). The sites appeared to be spaced nicely although some tree placement made for some maneuvering when trying to back in – it wasn’t impossible by any means. The park was clean and there was lots of security presence, though we never saw anything to warrant concern. The water park was a nice little treat for the kids and the mini-golf was fun – very dated but fun just the same. We were in site number 65 and loved how it backed up to the play field/playground/open area. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2009 - $43.00

A nice park on south side of DC. Facilities are part of a larger park that includes a marina, hiking trails, pool complex, and general recreation and picnic areas. We saw wonderful wildlife at the campground and would stay there again. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2008 - $30.00

I was staying in the DC area for 2 days of business, so I only slept there. For that, it was adequate. I had site 29, which I could back into very easily. Lots of space for my slideout. Good separation from adjacent sites on the sides but when a diesel pusher backed into the one right behind me, they were very close! I've stayed there twice now, for work, and found it adequate both times. It's right off I-95 about 5 miles south of the junction with the beltway, and traffic can be very troublesome. Also be aware their local directions for how to get to it from the I-95 exit you'll use won't work. A small local road is now closed where it used to cross the railroad tracks. You have to take a couple mail streets but it's doable. If you can manage the local streets, you can get to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station, for easy access to/from DC, but driving in northern VA is tedious in the best of times, and a PITA in the worst of times! All things considered, I think the 8 I'm giving it reflects the traffic issues and the cost, which I consider on the high side. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Pohick Bay Regional Park

Date of Stay: June, 2008 - $28.00

We stayed here for a week while we were sightseeing in Washington, D.C. The campground is public, so don't expect cable or WiFi. It does offer a water park and a nice marina. Our site was not level, but we did have plenty of trees and sufficient room between our site, and our neighbors, so as not to feel crowded. We couldn't get a site with a water hookup because those sites apparently get reserved very early, so we had to hitch up and go to the potable water hose halfway through our stay to refill our fresh water tank. The best part about this campground avoiding the D.C. traffic. It is easy to get to the Franconia/ Springfield Metro stop to journey into D.C. However, be prepared to spend one and one-half hours driving, and on the Metro, from the time you leave the campground to the time you arrive at the Smithsonian or other popular tourist attractions. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2008 - $30.00

This is a very nice park in the spring. There must have been a change in management and employees, as the staff were all friendly and helpful at all times. Very nice playground and meadow for children and adults. Close to D.C. and Metro in Springfield (a must if you want to enjoy D.C.). Most sites are electric only. This was great for us as we have a motorhome. The water pressure/volume where you fill your tanks is very slow, so be prepared. Restrooms and showers were older but well maintained and clean. This is a mature wooded park so forget satellite TV, Radio and GPS except in sites 47 and 48. We would stay here again. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2007 - $41.00

This is a lovely place, but it is not well run. The staff at the reservation center does not have a clue! Also, whoever decided to put the full hookup sites on this pre-existing, narrow, one-way road when many of the entrances are angled the wrong way for backing in, must not have been using any common sense. We would never have been able to back into our site if the one across the street had not been empty when we arrived. As it was, it took me and a neighbor to direct my husband through the trees, posts, and low-hanging branches into the site. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2007 - $26.00

I stayed over the Columbus Day holiday Weekend. I requested a site close to restroom facilities. The first site they put me in was a bit too far to restroom for me and required me to back up a small incline. I'm a new trailer owner and that would have been difficult. I asked for another site, I opted for electric only to be closer to the restroom and it was perfect. Its was very level and shaded. Restrooms were clean, they are hosed down so be careful about slipping after they've cleaned it. Quiet time was quiet. Staff was very friendly. There is plenty to do, if not at the campground itself, but the rest of the park; fishing, Frisbee golf, and canoe/kayak rentals. Lots of information about the area and Washington DC. Just watch out in Fall for acorns. Park full of oak trees and if a wind picked up my trailer sounded like it was being bombed. Overall quite pleased. Reserved same site for next month. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2007 - $40.00

Heavily wooded county run park. The check in did not know their campground very well. They tried to put me in a site that required me to back around about 100 degrees of turn. I drive a 40' MH and there was brush, trees, and signposts in the way. Since they were not crowded I put it in the next site which was angled properly for back-ins. Then I went and told her what I had done. They should have known I would have trouble getting into that site. The only reason we were here is that it is close to Manasses where we had some repairs done. The sites are heavily wooded so if you like that you will love this place. About 20 miles south of Washington, DC off of I-95. We will not go back due to maneuvering difficulty. I thought the price was high for what you get. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2007 - $60.00

Excellent campground just outside Washington DC. We loved how close it was to the Springfield-Franconia Subway rail to get into DC. The bathrooms were clean. The staff was exceptional with directions in helping us learn our way around. I will definitely stay here again and look forward to my next reservation in August! We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Campground Cabin.

Date of Stay: June, 2006 - $36.00

I have camped here several times and always find that the worst part of the experience is the bathrooms. They are usually clean but in order to clean them, the staff hoses them down. Therefore, when you enter you track in mud all over the floors and find that there is water dripping from everything. This also tends to make it very humid in the bathrooms. The sites tend to be large and wooded. The campsites are within walking distance to the bay and marina area which is scenic. It is surprising to find such an area so close to the metro area and close enough to visit many of the historic sites around. I would recommend it only if you don't mind the moisture! We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2006 - $26.00

We camped here Memorial Day weekend 2006 and have camped here about 10 times over the past few years. The park is very clean and convenient for folks who want to site-see in Washington and the surrounding areas. The Metro access has been discussed by others. We are kayakers and enjoy photographing nature which Gunston Cove had in abundance. The Northern Virginia Regional Park Agency has, sadly, decided to nickel and dime paddling campers out of the park. The park has an extraordinary boat ramp area which caters to power-boaters and jet-skiers, but discourages canoers and kayakers by charging folks launching 2 kayaks from the shore more than it costs to launch a 30 foot powerboat from one of the excellent ramps. Eagles, herons and osprey used to be very common on Pohick Bay and Gunston Cove, but this weekend we saw very few in over 5 hours on the water. Happily, Mason Neck State Park is just a couple of minutes down the road and welcomes paddlers for $4 which includes admission to all facilities. It seems the birds have found more suitable habitat there. For the family camping trips, the state parks offer pool passes (where pools are available) for everyone in the family with the camping fee - also, no added charge for launching boats of any sort. Pohick has a wonderful pool, but allows one free pass to the camping party and a small discount to the others. Lastly, Pohick has recently added converted 12 sites to full hook-up - including 50 Amp service. This weekend, we were assigned an electric-only site (which we were happy to take) only to find 5 of the full hook-up sites occupied all weekend by 2 pop-ups, 2 tents and one used as a parking spot for 2 pick-up trucks. One other site remained empty all weekend. Poor management of these new resources was clearly in evidence here since the sign at the front entrance read "Campground Full". Our best guess had it at 70% full. Bottom line - this is a good campground from which to base an exploration of the Washington area. If you are looking for the usual amenities offered by a regular commercial campground or state park, don't be surprised when you are asked to pay extra here. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2006 - $25.00

This park is great for visiting Washington DC. The sites are spacious. There is a nice fishing pier and plenty of trails for hiking. Mason Neck state park is only a few miles away. The Springfield-Franconia Metro station is the closest, however I-95 is a nightmare before 9am. If you travel during rush hour, try taking route 1 north and catching the yellow line at the Huntington station instead. It is a little farther but it might be faster. Overall a great park. Nice open field for the kids to play. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: March, 2006 - $25.00

Camped at Pohick Bay for a week in Mar 06. Very nice campground! A couple of notes: Parking at the Franconia-Springfield Metro station was not a problem, tho note that we were not there during the high tourist season. A large part of the deck is not open for parking until 10:00 AM, which prevents comuters from filling it up early in the morning. The campground has installed water & sewer hookups on a few of its most level sights. At this point they are waiting for certification from public health officials, so check with them if this is important to you. For Class A owners, there were not that many sites suitable for 36' or greater -- most were too short or very uneven. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2005 - $26.00

We used this campground as a base while visiting relatives nearby and also as a stopover while on our way to and from FL. It was one of the few campgrounds in the area open in the winter. It was quite cold during our visit and the very friendly and helpful staff instructed us to disconnect our water hose during the night. The sites are large and well arranged. Considering the time of year and the temperature, there were a considerable number of RV'ers there. This large regional park also has a boat launch and a very nice public golf course. We camped at Pohick Bay Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Pohick Bay Regional Park

Are you affiliated with Pohick Bay Regional Park ?