3.2 Poor

Reedville, Virginia

382 Campground Rd
Reedville, Virginia 22539

Elevation: 12' (approximate)
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • yes-river Waterfront Waterfront yes-river

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $45.00

Bath rooms not clean. Booked for week, was told last night was free. Not true; change to discount only due the site I picked. No one was at resort, no one. The owner told me if I parked on another site I would be charged. Just laughed. Fishing sucked The only good thing was I work all day and did not have be here. These people are only here to collect money. No money goes back to upkeep. If you like seeing and walking on old cigarette butts, tall weeds, and a dirty pool, this is place for you. Don't make a mistake, stay away. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Tent Trailer.

Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $90.00

Nasty! Pool was cloudy, cabin disgusting, multiple water leaks in cabin, sewer leak by cabin. Was suppose to have a free hay ride: never happened. Had a root beer float party (charged $2). Ice cream was gummy: it was in a large bucket that had thawed and frozen several times. After they gave it to you, then they said it was $2. This was in high season and there were only 2 or 3 other families at this dump. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Cabin.

Don't come here.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $70.00

We only stayed so I can show up to a test site very early in the AM, but was told it was a two night minimum for the cabins. It was chilly, about 40 degrees. Something made me ask upon check in if the cabins had heat and we were told no but they had portable heaters we could borrow. Since we stayed in a two room cabin, we requested a second heater and was told "We can't let you use two for free." So we opted out of the second one. We were handed our key and was told it isn't hard to find, so we continued down a very overgrown drive way to find the place was deserted. We were the only ones staying here that night. When we entered our cabin the floors were dirty, the mattress pads had hair on them, and the lighting was very poor. We took a trip to the restrooms to find strange holes in the walls, poop smeared in the toilet seat, the feminine hygiene container full and it smelled terrible. There was a swim diaper that was hanging out of the pail that smelled horrible. This was May and I am sure the pool hasn't been opened all season as the pool was empty. When I went to ask the man at the front desk, for soap in the bathrooms and to ask for them to be cleaned, he quickly said he just cleaned them. He returned to do a full cleaning of the bathroom and made it a point to tell us he filled the soap. We went to bed and got up early to an empty campsite again. NO ONE ELSE was here! When we returned from testing, I went to see the same front desk man about a table cloth. He went to the back of the store and said he had one left. It would be $2.75 with tax. I asked him to turn some lights on in the store to make me feel more comfortable. He had no lights on. He then asked me if I was taking an EMS instructor course. I thought that to be very odd since I only asked previously how far we were from the High School. After reading some of the reviews I wonder if he had actually been in our cabin while we were out, because I had left my study sheets on the bed. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Cabin.

Cabin 4

No Others In Sight

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $65.00

My family had to make last minute changes and came across this campground and another with open sites for Memorial Day Weekend. Website made it seem like a nice location and with the option to go to Smith Island appeared to be a great deal. Overall the campground is OK but in my opinion it is dying. Reasons is that the owners are older and run the campground with their children whom all seem to just be going day by day with no care in the world as others have noted. The grounds are not kept up as some spots have trees making it impossible to put a camper there. I asked about this and the lady noted that they leave it for the scouts but since they charge them the scouts go to farmers and locals that give them free space. Only the pool was open; no game room or mini golf. The playground was like stepping back to when the camp opened up I assume over 40 years ago. Even the "Elvis" style singer did not have a lot of folks come to hear him sing. The grounds may have been at 1/4 capacity for a holiday weekend when many other areas are booked solid. For the ferry to Smith Island not really worth the price for the trip to the Island when almost everything is closed; staff could have told us of that. The time frame they give you is not very much and with our trip they left late and then had trouble U-Turning at Smith Island; even crushing into the Pier forcing costing us more time to walk around the island which is a nice place to visit if you bring a bike and like the Marshlands. They rent bikes/golf carts but better to bring your own. On docking back at the campground the family could not park right again as when they tried to tie off they took out two pier beams. The ship was also outdated and could use a good painting and upkeep. There is potential if the owners cared more. I hate to see a campground this close to the Bay die but that is where this one is heading. We will not be returning and if you are looking to stay here there are plenty of others with better value. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $50.00

The only thing good I can say about this park is that it is close to the point to catch the ferry to Tangier Island. The fee of $50/night was way too much for the condition of the campground, and this was off-season! The manager, owner, was semi-friendly. We had two friends coming to visit for 2-3 hours. I was flabbergasted when they wanted $7/person. I understand if they were staying overnight, but for a couple of hours!! I would not recommend this park to anyone. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $50.00

I would NEVER stay or recommend anyone stay here. The lady running this place is not friendly or helpful in fact she is rude. I live in the area and was checking out places to park my camper for the summer. She wouldn't let me drive through the campground to see what types of sites were available. She wanted to know what "my situation" was and she said that if I wasn't interested in her campground "good bye". We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2011 - $50.00

A return visit to this beautiful place on the water. Be sure to bring your boat for only $10 per day includes launch, mooring privileges and/or storage on lot. Covered slips for boats 22 ft or more $25. Just 1/2 mile out of harbor to enter Bay. Creek sites are beautiful, back-ins and no cable TV in that section only. We caught crabs; steamed & ate at our site, rode our bikes on scenic Byway. A place to relax and unwind. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $50.00

We were given a site that could not accommodate our camper, however my husband wiggled our camper into this site. We plugged in to electric and proceeded to put our slide out and started to level when we noticed that our refrigerator was still running off propane, not electric as it should be when plugged in. After trouble-shooting our camper for problems we called their emergency line where the woman who runs the place told us that the man that could help us needs his sleep and she didn't want to wake him up. We asked to move to another site, but she mentioned that the one to the other side of our friend's camper was already taken (even though no one was there). My husband got on the phone with her and told her that he needs some help with the electricity because the outlets were not working and it was very hot out and was about 11:00 p.m. at the time. The man finally came out to help us and agreed that the electric post did not work and then allowed us to move to the site on the other side of our friend's camper, telling us it was NOT in fact taken. The lady who runs the place proceeded to tell us the next day in a very defensive tone that there is nothing wrong with the electric at that site and she doesn't understand why we had to move. Do not use waterfront site W4 as it seems to have electric problems quite often according to this man who helped us. The campground is overgrown with weeds, you cannot tell where the roadways are, and it is very difficult to distinguish where the camp sites are located. The swimming pool needs a lot of work, the deck is crumbling and falling apart. To top off the weekend their sewer is completely overwhelmed to the point where our camper and none of the ones around us could drain our tanks, and the campground was not even half full. We did think it was quite strange, and should have taken into consideration that this campground was not even half full on Memorial Day weekend. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2010 - $70.00

I was a little leery due to some of the postings, but we had a very nice stay over labor Day weekend. It is a rustic wooded setting. There are activities for families, movies, BBQ, ice cream and cake socials, and an "Elvis" entertainer under the pavilion. The restrooms were very clean and maintained. The proprietor was polite and helpful with information for other activities off-site. She offered to make us breakfast for $3.50. We took the boat ride to Smith Island and our puppy was able to join us. The ride was relaxing and we had a nice lunch and walk around the island. There is a pool, playground, miniature golf, small cabins to rent. It is a little expensive compared to other campgrounds, but we had a nice time. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2010 - $50.00

We agree completely with the person that posted August 2010. "The people that run this place don't care". After we checked in and paid in full we were told that under no circumstances would there be any refunds. They proceeded to tell us that after Sunday 9-5-2010 the pool would not be cleaned or any type of chemicals added and if we wanted to use the pool it was OK but it was at our own discretion! The other problem with this park was they had the entrance gate chained and locked. We were not able to receive Wi-Fi. They do charge $5 for satellite. There were only 18-20 campers for the holiday weekend which might also give you an idea of how poorly this place is run. On Wednesday the only other camper in the campground with us had a brick thrown through a window and was completely torn apart. We left for a short time and left our dog at the camper. I believe this is the only reason that our camper was not broken into. At this point I wanted to leave and again was told that there would be no refund. If you look at their web site and in the AAA book it states the extra person fee is $2-5, but they charge $7 per person. The grounds need a substantial manicure. Don't bother to put your boat in the water at their launch because they charge $40 for this plus an additional $10 to tie up at the dock. This is just the day fee! I don't know what the over night fee might be. This place is far from being a "resort". There is a one lane blacktop road partway into the campground. After the road ends it is very hard to determine where to drive. Not that it couldn't be nice (at one time it was a KOA) but it will take a substantial investment of time, money, and personnel to make it so. The only reason that we stayed here was because it is very close to our friends and we had considered reserving this park for a 14 RV get together in October of this year. I can assure anyone that we will never stay at or recommend this place to anyone. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $50.00

The people who own this park don't seem to care. The woman is difficult, at best. She was not friendly at all and seemed quite defensive, but my husband went by and tried to make friends with her. The area has such great potential, and it is not being made what it could be. She complained that people were going to the state park, but charged us $50 because she had a concrete patio next to our site. Guess it was $45 if there was not a concrete slab. There was very little grass for the dogs. She charged $7 per person for my friends to come into the park to pick us up for dinner. She did give it back when they left, but really!! The park supposedly had satellite hook up in the cable, but good luck getting that. Apparently, you have to rent their box and somehow figure out how to hook it up. We used our antenna which picked up about 3 stations and not well. Our satellite was not usable because of the trees. What I can say is that it was convenient to our friends in the area, and that's the only reason we stayed in this park. Next time, we will stay at the Belle Isle state park. This was the highest priced park in which we have ever stayed and sure wasn't worth the money. I was able to pick up a wireless Internet signal, which she didn't even know went out into the park. The boat which apparently takes cruises to the island across the water (Smith Island?) was not working. Kids were crabbing off the pier at the park, if you like that sort of thing. I did see she was showing a movie on an outside screen on Saturday night. Didn't go in the restrooms, but they didn't look like ones I'd "want" to visit. We would NOT stay there again. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $40.00

Quiet sites in mature woods. Pleasant pool & play area. Very convenient to the Smith Island cruise boat terminal. A good experience. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Tent.

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $45.00

Location is in one of Virginia's most scenic waterfront areas with access to the Chesapeake Bay. Grounds were immaculate as were all facilities. Friends were camping in a cabin and towed a boat using the campground's launch facility. Only 5 minute ride to the Bay and excellent fishing. Clean swimming pool with large wide deck and comfortable pool lounges. Especially nice was the Sunday morning Pancake/Sausage breakfast served in air-conditioned clubroom. We caught crabs from the crabbing pier, steamed on site to enjoy. Would definitely return. Long, paved pull thru sites. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2009 - $45.00

Peaceful, scenic location on the water by the Chesapeake Bay. Our big rig site was easily accessible pull-thru. Staff friendly and helpful with directions to good restaurants nearby. No shopping malls; a 25 minute country drive to Kilmarnock for Walmart and other shopping. Will plan to return for crabbing and other water related activities in warmer weather. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2009 - $32.00

Actually stayed here in September 2008 but this website would only let me select 2009!!!! Campground is somewhat run down and in need of maintenance. Only stayed there because it was near places we were visiting. Site assigned was level but oddly laid out. Sewer was 20 feet from other hookups. Site was just a gravel path, roads were paved and in good shape. Management was friendly and helpful. We camped at Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Chesapeake Bay Camp Resort ?