Dixie Caverns Campground

Salem, Virginia

5733 W Main Street
Salem, Virginia 24153

• Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no

Ask fellow campers about "Dixie Caverns Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $33.00

We stayed here for a week because it's what worked for our route and schedule. We went in with proper expectations and the campground worked fine for what we needed. You do hear interstate noise pretty much non-stop, but we knew that going in. There are several year-round campers and in the transient stops there was a steady flow through of overnighters. We have our own Verizon mifi so we normally don't tap into campground wifi when available. But we did here and it was incredibly fast. Easy access off the interstate, easy to navigate interior roads, nice to have a gravel site but ours wasn't very level. Transient sites are very tight - we couldn't open our awning if we wanted to due to a power pole on one side, and on the other side our neighbor's slide was about six feet. Friendly people. Grocery, Walmart, Walgreens, Lowe's all convenient right down the road in Salem. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $38.00

Excellent service at a Basic campground. good WIFI, Very clean. had to use level blocks to level trailer. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $34.00

This Campground is close to family. We stayed for two nights. Adequate. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Sites 50-53 are pull throughs appear to all be satellite friendly

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $34.00

Dixie Caverns was a last minute overnight stop for us, and we were glad they could accommodate us since they were pretty well booked up. Our pull-thru site was a bit short, but since we had planned to unhook anyway, that wasn't a problem. There was room enough to park our car cross ways behind the coach though. The sites and roads were a bit muddy, but considering the wet weather conditions at the time of our visit, it wasn't too bad. The full hookups were conveniently placed, and the 50 amp power was strong and stable. Our AT&T and Verizon cell signals were strong, so we didn't try the park WiFi. The satellite view from our site was good, so we didn't connect to the park cable service. There are quite a few stores and restaurants in Salem, about 7 miles away, including several well known chain locations. I don't think this park would work as a long tern stay for us, but it was a convenient stopping point for the night, and we would come back again if the need arose. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Dixie Caverns Campground

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $38.00

This is just a place to stay. Nothing fancy. The sites are on dirt, not much room between. No amenities. I think for a one night stay it's too much to pay We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $34.00

We had a pull through so we didn't have to unhook our tow. Which was good since it was raining and we were just there for the night. Sites are close but we've been in tighter ones. Didn't look around or tour the caverns due to the rain. On our way out in the morning we noticed there are quite a few "residents" and a lot of them could use a good clean up of their home and site. Very close to the highway but we use earplugs to sleep when there is a highway that close. So no problem. Ok for a one night stop but that's about it. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $33.00

We were on our way to Nashville so this was just an overnight and we planned on coming back on our way back home. But we didn't. When we got there I called the owner she was a sweet thing and told me where to go I had a pull through and once I got there is was so tight I couldn't even open the awning. And once I put my slide out the guy on that side couldn't open his. It backs up to I-81 so you hear the trucks running all night long. If one was to wreck and come over the guard rail it would be right in the camp site. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Travel Trailer.

The Caverns are right on site and it is very easy to find right off the Interstate. It's a good spot for a quick overnight stay.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $18.00

Small older park, several run down campers long term. Tight spaces. Right next to interstate so there is lot of noise. Close to Blue Ridge Parkway there is cavern and small flea market on site. Not many options for camping in the area. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

TIght spaces, could not open awning if someone beside us, if slides matched with ours, you needed to turn sideways to get between rigs. Trees and electrical boxes can make for difficulty getting into some sites, actually saw people hit trees, and rip off awning of someone in middle row trying to turn. Tenting area near creek, plenty of widlife. Restrooms desperate need of updating, they are all concrete with no soap or towel dispensers.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $34.00

I'm not sure what the reason is that campgrounds have to be so darn close to the Interstate highways and their exit ramps, but this one topped them all. Yes, it's nice to exit from the highway and immediately pull into a campground entrance, but it's also nice to get a good nights rest free from excessive highway noise. And there was quite a bit of noise, so if you are a light sleeper, don't expect much. Yes, I knew it was close to the highway, but it was at the halfway point home, and I didn't see many other options to choose from and I was tired from driving, so we stopped. Where is Wal-Mart when you need them? When we pulled in the main campground driveway, the entire place looked dreary and in need of some spring cleaning, maintenance, and sprucing up. At first I thought the rest room building had a band of yellow caution tape around it, but it was just the paint peeling off of the doors and the overall dirty, dingy look of the building. We didn't venture inside the building. The sites were OK, but not very level, and the utilities were fine. There were a number of seasonal campers around the grounds, some of which needed a good cleaning and tidying up. I must say that the staff member that checked us in was informative and welcoming. I think that was the only positive aspect of the entire stay. I doubt if we would ever stay there again. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $38.00

This park is a great location. Not a bad place to stay for convenience. It is open year round and is directly off of I-81. The lot we had was a long pull through, so it made it easy for our long rig. It has quite a few "residents" and they had cluttered sites. However, everyone we met was very nice. I would stay here again if I was passing through, but would not be likely to vacation here. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Fire Ring

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $35.00

Our site was in the center. While it was a pull-through, it was extremely narrow. Our outdoor mat was touching the sewer hookup pipe belonging to the adjacent site! We could not have extended our awning if we had had next-door neighbors. It appears that many sites are occupied by permanent residents. You need a 6-character code to enter the restrooms and showers, which have seen much better days. A police car patrolled several times during the evening, making us wonder why... There's no dedicated dog-walking area, although pets are welcome. We had no shade but it didn't matter, as we pulled in at dinner time and left early in the morning. Wifi was OK, but we were close to the office. There's a lot of road noise from the interstate. Our picnic table was rotting badly. We were not there while the cavern was open. We would not return to this campground. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Center

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $34.00

Hard to rate. Very old park. Excellent 50 amp, WiFi and cable TV. Picnic table and trash container on every lot. Emptied daily. Lots of permenant old RV's. Stay 7 days get one free. Easy access to hookups. But I have never been in a park with neighbors so close! With tax comes to over $38 a day. I would stay here again but it should be a $28 fee for what you get. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Visit the cave. Prepare for over 300 steps. Zero handicap access.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $34.00

Small park adjacent to Roanoke, the Blue Ridge Parkway, I-81 and their own Caverns. Restrooms looked old, I didn't use them. Full hook-ups available with fairly level pull through sites available for big rigs. They fill up so it might be good to call ahead.

Sites have grass between, picnic tables and fire rings. Tent sites around the perimeter. Lots of garbage cans around so not a problem to dump your own. Dog friendly. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

The Caverns were worth the tour.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $34.00

Owners/staff very nice and helpful. Very convenient off I-81. With that comes highway noise. Not horrible inside, but can be heard day and night. Sites are VERY close together. If I wanted to watch TV outside, it would have to be under my neighbors slide. Lots of trees, some shade. And Dixie Caverns is on the site. Pretty cave, and you get a discount if camping here. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Motorhome.

Dixie Caverns on site. Not far from Blueridge Parkway, though for me that wasn't particularly spectacular. Like a country drive - lots of trees. A few mountain overlooks. Only thing different is that there are no shops, restaurants, stations - just a tree lined roadway with a pretty view every now and then. Unless on a motorcycle, I really didn't see what all the hoopla is about.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $38.00

We just stayed there one night. Did not feel welcoming. The shops associated with the campground only had "tourist trap" souvenirs and the staff seemed bored. We probably would not stay there again. We camped at Dixie Caverns Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Dixie Caverns Campground

Are you affiliated with Dixie Caverns Campground ?