This Campground has been claimed.
Questions? Contact support.

Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA

Recent Rate: $44 5/2015

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Central Modem Central Modem yes
  • yes-lake Waterfront Waterfront yes-lake

jpainter01

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $44.00

This is a lovely "destination" campground that is family oriented as most KOAs are. If you are wanting a "big rig" pull-thru site for an overnight stay, there are only a few on the left as you first enter the campground. Those sites fill up quickly, so call ahead to reserve one.

WiFi was poor. You are assigned two logins and they cannot be switched to another of your devices. So if you login with your phone and then want to switch that login to your tablet or laptop, you cannot do it. Once the login has been used, it's dead.

Pricing was extremely high for an overnight, but it was the only park in the area that the other reviewers on RVParkReviews suggested would be good for big rigs.

There was a storm threatening to hit the area, so we "bit the bullet" and paid the price but I would not under normal circumstances. This is not a resort or "big attraction" area that might justify the high price. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Diamond d

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $45.00

Great park. Nice sites, entertainment for the kids. On a pond with streams that run throughout the park. Need additional bath house near lower sites. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Travel Trailer.

maineman

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $45.00

At check in I was told the rate would be 31 (no sewer) and 33 (with sewer) I told the gal I'd take sewer. I was charged 45? I guess when I said I didn't want to renew my membership, they got the money anyway. Showers and restrooms clean but dated. The interior roads were gravel, dirt, ruts and more ruts. The site had no table and the neighbor's sewer hose connection was 8 feet from my front door. My sewer connection was too far away to use. I certainly would not stay again. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

WV_Retired

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $31.00

We stay here going to and returning from the beach. We always try and get a site adjacent to the lake so we can watch the ducks. Power was good and so was water pressure. They have basic cable service which is good. Will definitely stay here again. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

erabbit

Date of Stay: November, 2014 - $40.00

The staff is friendly (under new ownership), and they are great about bringing firewood to your site. The internal roads are winding, with tight turns. The site we were in wasn't level back to front, but otherwise was quite nice and quiet. Other sites are "pull through," but they put campers in nose to tail, so not what you think of as pull-through sites. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

RVAJeff

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $30.00

My first stay in a commercial park (as opposed to a state or federal park), and I was very pleasantly surprised. I arrived at 9 a.m. of the day I was to check in, obviously very early, but they were fine with it, charging me a $3 early arrival fee. (Since nobody was in the site I reserved and it's the time of season where not many of the amenities are available (pool, etc.) I would have preferred no additional charge, but what are you going to do. It's a nice park with spots not too close to each other and angles in such a way (at lakefront anyway) that I really didn't feel claustrophobic. My only issues are with water (a little brown but fine when filtered) and cable (a cheap splitter was connected to my next door neighbor's site to allow connectivity for my site (by the owners, not me). This should be fixed. It's above ground, not protected and provides pretty crappy cable signals. On the plus side (utility wise) the wifi is excellent in terms of signal strength. I was at one of the spots furthest from the office and shower area, and still had very good signal. When the park was packed (last night for Halloween) the speed was very sluggish, but right now with almost as many people here, it's working well. Sites here are mostly level, and the service and staff is excellent. (They pick up trash at your site daily, sell and deliver wood to your site for a very reasonable price, etc.) I will definitely return. I stayed in lot 24 -- a very nice lot, although no sewer at this specific one. That was fine for my three night stay We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

beagles42

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $39.00

We stayed in the front section for a couple of days. There was plenty of room for our 39' fifth wheel and the truck. There was no sewer hookup in this section, but since our stay was short, this was not an issue. The campground was very inviting, the lake was pretty, and the super sites were the nicest I've seen so far. The dog park was very nice, and a huge maze had been set up using orange construction barrier material. Pretty cool...From talking to our neighbor we learned that the campground had been absolutely full for the weekend but by the time we arrived, early Monday afternoon, you couldn't tell. It was quite serene, and we had a lovely walk, as the campground is expansive with trees and hills, and our fellow campers were just happy with life. Will definitely return. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

EdGuru

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $35.00

This was a well-maintained campground. We were placed in the newest section which had large, level pull throughs, but they lacked sewer. Can't understand why you'd construct new sites without sewer. Additionally, to exit the new section required drivers to pull back into the main campground, circle it, and then drive out again. They had a large, new nice grassy, shaded dog park. Might return if in the area. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

taminator

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $44.00

It's actually a pretty nice KOA, tucked back in the woods, easy access down a paved county road but our stay wasn't without incident. It looks like the one-night stayers are at the very front of the park which was nice - easy in, easy out and mostly pull-through sites. We stayed in the upper level to the far right, back of the park. When you get assigned a "pull-through" or "back-in" site make sure it's actually full pull-through or single back-in, not pulling in to be bumper to bumper with an RV in front of you (site 74). That would have been fine but there was not enough room for our 40' MH and full size truck. When I made the reservation I was very specific about the size we needed but did not get what was promised. They did not charge extra to park our enclosed trailer, which was nice, but getting it parked in the spot they wanted it wasn't all that easy. When I complained about the site I was told there was a 30 amp site available but no 50s for our size. We expressed our displeasure with the arrangement seeing as I'd made reservations for 3 days and told them upfront what we needed. After a lengthy discussion they allowed us to park in site 83, which is 30 amp, but use the 50 amp service from site 82. It really wasn't big enough for our needs but was better than site 74. (And even though site 82 wouldn't be rented out they would not allow us to park the truck or trailer in that site). With all that being said, it is a nice park, they have lots to do, and we didn't have any trouble getting around with the MH. We talked with another camper who had the same problem we did - called ahead with specifics, told no problem, then got put in a site too small for their needs. They'd been there about a week and watched the site next to them be vacant most nights and it would have fit their rig. They asked to be moved and the park refused. Not sure if the person who makes campsite assignments knows how to fit people in or not. But we would not stay there again and the other campers said they would not return either. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

rwright946

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $45.00

Gravel level site. Very helpful staff; clean restrooms and showers. Family friendly. Quiet and away from traffic. We will stay here again when in the area. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

Menno

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $35.00

We've been RVing for many years, and this is one of the nicest places we've seen. Check-in was easy and the staff was always pleasant and helpful. The grounds were immaculate and everything seemed to be in good repair. Remarkable for such a large place with so many RV sites, tent sites and cabins. We walked around the park and the small "lake" every day and found it to be a very family-friendly place. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, and they even have a fenced in area for your doggie. Over the weekend the place was full, with mostly VA license plates, which suggests that it's a popular local getaway. We stayed a week and it was $245. This website insisted on a nightly rate and I don't have that - so I divided by 7 - it might be a bit higher. I'd rate the park a 10 but the Wi-Fi in our location was consistently poor. Cable was OK but spare, (not a lot of channels) and some channels were not clear, but if you're coming to be outside and camp I suppose those aren't big problems. They do have a number of newspapers available too. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

Texas Fleetwood

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $62.00

The previous recent review doesn't seem consistent at all with our experience. This a beautiful park with a ton of attention to detail by the owners. The office store is hands down the cleanest and most sensibly stocked store I've ever seen in many years of RVing. We had absolutely no sense of narrow roads or sites. Yes, some roads are single tracks but they are also one way. We maneuvered without any concern whatsoever. Now, the park is well off the Interstate and those country roads do take a while to navigate at slower than highway speeds, but once you arrive, you are greeted by a very happy staff, impeccably clean facilitates and a very spread out, safe, attractive and well appointed park. We would not hesitate to stay here again. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

Scottsdale RVers

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $39.00

Led to campsite, which was helpful because lanes are windy and our site was on a hill. Back-in site had many trees; however, access was not bad. Immediately situated in front of another occupied site so kept the back window shades down for privacy. Gravel interior roads, level dirt site with shade. Laundry house clean, but limited number of machines, which were often used. Bath house clean. Lots of open grassy space. Staff was friendly. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

User3766

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $46.00

The staff is great and helpful and the surrounding area is beautiful. Unfortunately this campground is not up to standard KOA quality. The roads are very narrow and dusty and you need to make 3 hairpin tight turns to get to any of the sites. The road up to the "hill" is a single lane for in and out traffic and if you meet up with oncoming traffic someone will need to back up a few hundred feet. The "lake" is really a swamp with an odor and scum film covering the water. The dump station is poorly designed and on the exit road, so if someone is dumping you need to wait to exit the park. We have been going there 3 consecutive years and notice that there has been ZERO upgrades or improvements; even dead tree limbs over sites are still hanging. Its obvious that the owner could care less. The showers and restroom need attention but the pool is nice. This could be a premium KOA. but it's not. We will not be returning to this KOA. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

ElsieandKen

Date of Stay: June, 2014 - $40.00

Pleasant helpful staff. Well maintained grounds and good interior roads. Wish the access to the large pull throughs didn't require going through the campground to turn around. No sewer but didn't need it for a short stay. Lovely, quiet environment. We camped at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA?