Virginia Beach KOA

Recent Rate: $51 11/2014

SteveIC

Date of Stay: November, 2014 - $51.00

This was a decent stay. We camped here for the weekend while visiting friends. The campground was very clean, but I felt that it was overpriced. They also charged per person which I also didn't like. The attendant behind the counter was a little slow and charged me for an extra person but I didn't feel like arguing over it for the $6. The jumper pads were a lot of fun and the camp ground was very pretty. We had a firepit in our spot which was really awesome. The store sold firewood but we were able to scavenge enough from the woods and around the campground without paying for it. The bathrooms and showers were very clean. Our site was nicely shaded by trees, as were most of the sites. Overall, this was a decent place to stay, but a little overpriced. Admin note: confirm collecting of firewood in campground and surrounding area is allowed. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Motorhome.

Tons of stuff to do in the VA beach/Norfolk area. Battle Ship Wisconson, Navy base tours, beach, ect...

Scottsdale RVers

Date of Stay: August, 2014 - $63.00

Camped in a 35 foot 5th wheel. Site C 160 is easy access pull through, level, & narrow. Site is grass & sand. We were camped during a hard & long rain storm & a very large mud puddle formed at the foot of the rig stairs. Sewer is in rear of site & a rather long reach if rig is centered front to back on site & has a center sewer discharge opening. Site is adjacent to bath house & propane tank. There is a somewhat noisy air conditioner at the bath house that can be heard at site, & lights shine all night. WiFi access is good. Bath house is well-used; shower stalls have slight mildew odor. Showers cleaned at least once every morning. The handicapped shower stall allows water to spill onto the floor outside the shower & it wets the entire floor of the room. There are no hooks or a place to put clothing & towels. Did not use restrooms or laundry. Did not use pools, but they looked clean. Convenient to Virginia Beach beach (three miles). There is a bike path that can be followed to reach the boardwalk; however, it is across a busy road from the campground. There is a city shuttle bus that stops in the campground. The campground is in a navy fly zone & there are noisy jets periodically during the day & until close to midnight. This a family destination type of campground. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

User3768

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $45.00

So we just got back from a 10-day trip to Virginia Beach. Stayed at the KOA, and I gotta say that the staff there was top-notch. From check-in personnel to the staff that cleans the restrooms, I was very impressed with the professionalism and helpfulness displayed across the board. We had a nasty storm roll through Saturday evening. A lightning strike hit the ground across the road from us, about 20' from the pop-up that occupied the site. Not 5 minutes later staff members were at the camper. Long story short, the father in the camper got zapped by the electrical discharge, and the staff had EMS on site within 10 minutes of the incident. From my assessment, the staff did an A+ job handling the situation and directing help to the family (who were from Montreal and unsure how to access EMS). My biggest "negative" was this park's pricing system. The site price is based on 2 people occupying the site. I didn't catch it when I reserved the site back in March, and that's on me. Even now that I look at their website, it's still kinda sorta hidden - when you put in how many people are on the site, it says that kids under 6 are "free". When I double checked the receipt, it showed a $6 per night charge for "extra" person. I went back to the front desk, and was explained that the site price is for 2 people, etc... I had not come across this before as all the parks we have stayed at have been priced for 4 people. The explanation given me was when a site is only occupied by 2 people, they feel they should be given a discount since they shouldn't have to pay for 2 extra people. I get it, Ive just not encountered it before. Shame on me for not recognizing the pricing policy. (No I'm not going to blast the park on the rating for my mistake). The sites near General Booth Blvd will get traffic noise. That road is a 4-lane, well traveled boulevard. Be advised that if you're back there, you will hear the cars. The sites in that area are well-shaded, and best suited for tents and smaller TTs/pop-ups. A good portion of the sites are gravel/rocky, which is my biggest knock on the park. It's great for shade, especially in the heat of summer, but not the most comfy on the feet. There's a few grassy sites back there, but ask when you call the park - they should be able to let you know the general site characteristics. We were in sites 149 and 150. Very little (to none) shade from 144 to 150. 151-157 have woods/greenery behind them, and 158-190 have a lot of shade. These sites are deep, but narrow. The pull through sites seemed to be narrow as well, but that's where you'll find the full hookups. The sites across the entrance street (21-59) have some good shade as well. The pull-throughs are a gravel base also. For us, 150/149 were perfect (even without the sewer) for the group of us that went down. My rig is long (~60' end to end) and we got in and out fine, though if you've got a tall/long rig, I'd try not to exit using the road along sites 158-190, as the trees that line might be obtrusive to taller rigs. We used the restroom and shower facilities near our site. The restrooms were clean and well-maintained. The showers... the showers could use some improvements in water pressure and hot water. Also, the floors need to be redone and weren't ultimately the most stable or clean. The showeres were attended to, but they need some fixing-up. We were told that the showers up by the pull-throughs were better, but I didn't feel like venturing up that far. Too lazy... There is a beach shuttle that runs every 20 minutes (I forget the exact hours), and it's $2 per person. Parking down by the beach will run you $5 for 3hrs or $10 for all day (depending on lot). We had 10 in our group, so for $20 it was a wash, and easier to bring all our shtuff. Lastly, the noise from the F/A-18s that people complain about: it's not as bad as its made out to be (all hours of the night, constant, disruptive, etc.). Yes, you're gonna hear them. Yes, they will be loud. For the 10 days we were there, only 1 night were they flying past 10 or 11pm. It did not interrupt or spoil any of our camping experience. To me, it's an awesome sound! And, if you're a man and an American, you would NEVER complain about the sound of freedom raining down from above! Heck, if it bothers you, just pretend it's the wife yapping at you and tune it out! So, at the end of our trip, the park gets high marks for it's helpful staff, pool area, cleanliness and attentiveness. Good activities and close to the beach, and there's some fun things nearby (go-karts, water park, mini-golf, Hooters and Chik-fil-A). The negatives are some of the site sizes terrain, and the showers we used. We will definitely return. For our experience, it's a "9". We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

bug512

Date of Stay: July, 2014 - $75.00

Thanks goodness for a great site # 41, had we been in one of the flooded sites the overall rating would be a 2. We would stay here again if we could get this site, so many of the others were flooded due to the rain that they had the week before. Another disappointment was the slummy seasonal / residents that they have here. I can't believe that this is a corporate owned KOA and it looks like this. This campground along with the one across the street are convenient to all the attractions of VA Beach. Our water, electric, sewer and cable worked perfect during our stay. The pool was well maintained. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Motorhome.

Dogs are allowed on the beach north of 42nd street before 10 AM and after 6PM. VA Beach is very dog friendly so check out that information on their website. Bring the bicycles and head to False Cape State Park.

User3064

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $46.00

We stayed here to attend my son's wedding in Virginia Beach. The staff was friendly, the site was level, Wi-Fi was strong/fast, and the weather was great. Overall, a very nice campground. I would stay here again. However, next time I would take the shuttle to the beach rather than my toad. Parking is expensive in VA Beach. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Motorhome.

Smibby

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $75.00

I guess it's all about location location This KOA has the most seasonals I have ever seen at a KOA. Overall not a bad place. Two miles from the beach by foot or car. Being mid April, a lot of activities were closed like the pool. Store closes at 5pm. We picks FHU back end site #348. This site was small but OK. So, pick a pull through. Most looked bigger. Campground showed its age but at $75 a night, I think I could find better. Sites unlevel Not hateful, but just some general house keeping would help. Probably won't return.. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

ndknightz1

Date of Stay: November, 2013 - $42.00

Their Wi-Fi is great because they have multiple antennas and it's fast. Jets fly overhead. Be grateful they are there. They are from the local military base used in training applications for the most part. Yeah, they're noticeable but they're there for our safety and the safety of this country. The park seems to be set up for the summer crowds that flock this place and they can handle it. Everyone on staff was pleasant and seem eager to be of service. Sites are gravel and off level a little. They have bike paths near by and not far from the beach boardwalk. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Motorhome.

fulltimenomads

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $45.00

Great place. The pool was closed, but looked awesome with a slide. Nice jumping pillow and place for dogs. We loved the store and the assistant manager. Wonderful place! We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Luvtheroad

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $50.00

No real complaints about this park. It was adequate and convenient to the beach and shopping. I think it was a bit overpriced for the off-season (pools closed, not anything going on). The jet noise from Oceana Naval Station could be bad at times, but that's Virginia Beach. It didn't bother me, because I sincerely love the sound. Electricity was a little low but not a real problem. Water pressure OK. Reasonably quiet at night, except on weekends when there's a little more party atmosphere. Some noise from the street. Sites adequately sized and reasonably level. People in the office were very nice and helpful. Bathrooms clean. Didn't use the laundry, so can't report on that. Wi-fi OK, cable OK. We would stay there again. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Florida Bob

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $59.00

We stayed here for 3 nights in a 27' rig. The park and the area has lots to do for kids and families. The laundry is the largest I've seen in a campground. $1.75 for washers and dryers. The bathrooms/showers were clean, but only 2 per building (multiple buildings) which I thought was too few for the number of sites in the park. We used the Dog Park which is nice. The sites were level and spacious, but some can get muddy when it rains. There is a problem with drainage in some sites. Both open and shaded sites. The staff is attentive, but when we were here, the grass needed mowing in some sites and there was trash in some of the fire pits. The park is convenient to the Boardwalk, beach, grocery store, and other sights in the area via the trolley, bikes, or car. The jets flying overhead were not an issue. We would stay here again. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

UMDterpfan

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $61.00

The sites at this campground are small and there is little privacy. Trees provide shade at some of the sites, but many of the sites are wide open. Our site had full hookups (water, electric, sewer, and cable). The water pressure seemed low compared to other campgrounds at which we have stayed and the water had a brown tint to it, but was otherwise fine. The cable channel lineup was limited. The stone surface at many sites appeared as if it could use replenishing as water tended to pond and drainage was fairly poor. The campground has many amenities, including two very nice pools (one with water slides), bouncing pillow, playgrounds, half basketball court, horseshoe pits, bocce ball, and 9 hole mini golf in urgent need of repair. Bus service to area attractions is also available. The campground is minutes away from many attractions, including the Virginia aquarium, Virginia Beach boardwalk and ocean front, Ocean Breeze water park, go kart tracks, and mini golf. The jets from Oceana NAS were noticeable but easily tolerable. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

neeloc

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $80.00

We were pleased with this campground. The bathrooms were very nice and the showers were very clean. The water pressure in the shower was very low though. We did use the pool, it was OK. The jumping pillow was fun for my kids. If you are going to the beach, it is well worth the $2.00 pp for the bus pass to take you there. You can buy the pass right in the campground store. The campground store had the basics. The staff was always very nice to us. The sites were large and fairly level. We had site #352 which was a back-in site. It was backed right up to the main road for the entrance to the campground. It wasn't too bad, but the street lights were annoying at night. The noise of the aircraft wasn't too bad either. We felt very patriotic watching and hearing the aircraft in training. I think that the campground is a bit overpriced, but would probably stay here again if we ever come to Virginia Beach again. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

jmoo

Date of Stay: March, 2012 - $38.00

10 minute trip to the beach by car. I stayed in March so it was mostly work campers there. There was construction of some sort going on around the bath house so the showers weren't that clean. The showers were also individual rooms separate from the bathrooms and were a little small. The staff was nice, but they were out of ice the day I needed it. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Doc Dietitian and 3 kids

Date of Stay: September, 2011 - $89.00

KOA Virginia Beach This was our second stay at a KOA campground with our family and it was again an excellent experience. The location was a 3.3 mile bike ride along a paved bike path starting right at the campground to the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. For those who prefer motorized transport, the VA Beach shuttle rounded right through the campground every 20 minutes until 1 AM for $2 for an all/day fare. The kids loved the swimming pool with water slides and the jumping pillow was the ultimate favorite of ours (Not to mention that Mom and Dad had some jumping fun as well). The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. The campground was large and full on Labor Day Weekend but still didn't feel crowded. I would give this location a 10 except the Wi-Fi, although functional and free, was useful for extremely low bandwidth applications limited to email and Facebook and AT&T only had 1 bar at this location. Otherwise this park was fantastic and we will definitely camp here again. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Travel Trailer.

bseward

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $45.00

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at this CG. It was well maintained and very friendly staff. I highly recommend it. We camped at Virginia Beach KOA in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Virginia Beach KOA?