Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park

Vantage, Washington

Recent Rate: $32 7/2013

Longitude: -119.992010593414

sirjin

As others posted previously, WINDY! We stayed here three nights and the last couple days were so windy that I thought our 32 ft travel trailer was going to tip over. It might have been the site we were in (#42) and was in direct path of the wind? Other than the wind, this place is made for watercraft sports. The park has a nice swimming area but gets very crowded on a nice hot day. Cell phone coverage (Verizon) worked very well. Only a gas station/mini mart that is right off the freeway. We most likely will not camp here again because of the wind. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Tony L

Nice park, with some good view sites of the lake. VERY windy at night as noted by other people for the first 2 nights we were there but dead calm the last night. Nice quiet park, but the day use beach was dirty with lots of garbage etc. due to large groups at the day use area each day. Several dogs off the leash in the swimming area running all over and being a nuisance (going to the bathroom etc) even though signs clearly noted it was an on leash area. If you can, go to the Iron horse structures just up the hill on I-90 and hike to the top for some great views! Check out the info center in Vantage for the petrified forest, very helpful staff there! We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Travel Trailer.

nbi600

The park itself, is very nice. It has good spacing between sites and there's lush grass in this desert. All sites are full hookup with 30A. There is no dump station. Most sites have a view of the Columbia River. Yes, it does get windy here. It awoke me at 2am and I went out to close the window awnings because they were shaking so much. As retirees, we would not stay again but if you have a family, a boat, jet skis and dogs, you'd probably love it. Reservations are highly recommended. There's a nice beach area. Our 40' motorhome would probably fit in most sites but some are uneven. Since it was extremely hot during the day, the 30A and being able to use only one air conditioner really taxed it. Other than water activity, there's nothing to do in the immediate area. There are a couple fuel stops on I-90, 3 miles north of the park, and they have limited groceries. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

vayaconperros

We overnighted here while heading east on I-90 out of Seattle. It's a nice quiet park with good views of the Columbia River. It was a bit windy at times, but otherwise really great. We had a really nice pull-through site and liked how much space is in between each site. We would stay here again. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

NavyStore

This is a great, little, out of the way park. It sits about 30 minutes away from both Moses Lake and Ellensburg, and only has limited supplies at the local store and two gas stations, so get your supplies before you arrive. The entrance off Huntzinger Road is more of a U-turn than a sharp left, but the park roads are in good shape (except for a rough patch around space 29). The only issue I had staying here was dealing with the wind. It BLEW!! Our first day it was nice and calm, but started to pick up about 10pm. By 4am I was awakened by the slamming of our awning into it's supports as 50mph gusts tried to toss our 35ft rig on to its drivers side! After fighting with the retraction motor (on our automatic awning) between the gusts, I finally got it stored (with minimum damage). Our tent (that my daughter decided to use since it was warm) held up well as long as she and our two German Shepherds were inside. But as the wind picked back up the next day, it pulled the 3 windward stakes out of the ground and rolled over. That was just before a 4" thick, 15' long limb broke off the top of one tree and missed our neighbors 5th wheel by 6 inches in the constant 20mph gale. So, be aware of the wind, stay clear of the taller trees in it and RETRACT YOUR AWNING AFTER 3PM. With full hook-ups, my wife and I never used the campgrounds facilities, but my daughter did, and she reported that they were clean and in good repair, if a little dated in their look. Other than the wind, this is a great place to relax! There is no over the air TV signals, mainly due to the terrain, but there are good satellite sight lines at most spaces on the lower loop. My Verizon aircard had 4-bar coverage & my wife had a surprising 5-bars on TMobile. Both my daughter and I had only 2 bars on Sprint, but never lost signal. The boat launch has easy access, and we saw several Class A & C rigs putting ski-boats in the Columbia. It was also used by the Kittatas County Sheriff to put in their boat to assist a family who ran aground after their engine failed. Sheriff Deputies drove through at regular intervals, probably due to Parks Departments staffing cuts. There was a young coyote that came through our side of the park for a few minutes one evening (when the holiday weekend visitors had all left) - poor thing looked confused and headed back into the scrub after five minutes. The host mentioned that he had seen a herd of 25 Dall's Sheep in the gulley to the north of the park, and a Ranger told me that deer walk through occasionally as well. But, he added, it was rare to see critters when that wind was blowing. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

KAC

Most sites are large and spacious and have the picnic table and grass. We stayed here last year and the campground was great. But management has changed over the year. The washrooms and showers were terrible. Not well cleaned at all. The ladies shower in the lower sites had frogs in it. They never swept out the lower washrooms, so they could not have been cleaned in the 2 days we were there. The upper washrooms and showers were good. We would not stay here again. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Travel Trailer.

hoppers4

Very nice small State Park. Apparently they have a dated infrastructure as we were requested not to run our microwave and to be judicious with other power use. Very spacious sites and well maintained grounds. They have a really nice boat launch. Biggest problem typical of the Columbia River is that it was VERY windy. Couldn't be outside of the rig after about 4pm. Wind blew until about 2 or 3 am. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

travlcub

This park was spotless and over all a great place! As stated, it can get breezy since being along the Columbia River. I'll be back! We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

winstonbaby

Very nice state park AWAY from it ALL! Well manicured landscaping. We had spot 38 for our 42 ft rig. The pull-throughs all seem to be on a curve, making parking a little challenging to park at first. Beautiful views of the Columbia River from most sites. There is also a public park with beach as part of this park. Though I'm not a boater, the boat launch appears to be very roomy! One word of caution here...IT GETS VERY WINDY! Tent campers my find it challenging! We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

NwJeeper

As with most state parks this one is beautiful. Although not on the water it does have a great view of Wanapum lake from the 10 or so sites located on that side of the park. A walking trail provides access to a grassy and shaded picnic/swimming area and the park does have a nice 2 lane boat launch with two docks. Although the state web site states there is a $7 charge to use the launch we could find no evidence of a pay station and watched as several boaters came and went without fees. Perhaps things are different in the busier summer months. After Labor day the sites are first come first get, no reservations are possible. We noticed the campground getting full every day so you had better plan to get there early. The inner back in sites are generally very wide and the one we chose easily accommodated our 37' motorhome with our bass boat and car parked along side. Only negative was that there was an over abundance of small gnats or flies coming from all the grass which made being outside miserable, I would hope that they could lay down something in the grass to take care of these pests. We loved the park however and will return in the future. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

Sas

This a great peaceful park. Well looked after.Can be a little windy a times. Everytime we go there we end up staying another day. The only down part it is very busy and unless you have a reservation ( especially on weekends) you will never get in during the summer and fall months. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

mockturtle

This place seems to get better and better. Peaceful, well-groomed, large, full hookup sites, gorgeous view of the Columbia River. Yes, it gets windy--sometimes very windy--but mornings are usually calm. I didn't take a waterfront pull-through for $31 but they are well worth it. Since I wasn't towing my toad, I picked a back-in site and left the pull-throughs for those who needed them. I still had a nice view of the river. Certainly will stay here again. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

GNman

We had a spectacular view of the Columbia River. We arrived late in the morning. It was a beautiful warm day. After we setup camp, we headed down to the beach where our two young girls happily played in the water, and made sand castles, while my wife and I relaxed on the sand. We returned to our site in the late afternoon. Then the wind picked up and never ever let up for the next 3 days. I think this particular site catches the wind unlike the other ones. I thought OK, it has to calm down eventually, but after 3 days of enduring sustained winds we gave up and left a day sooner than we planned. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Travel Trailer.

DXSMac

After coming from a very stressful Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I stopped here for some peace and tranquility. It was perfect, only four RV's including mine, were in the park. No problem getting a river view! The road to the park is 3 miles off Interstate 90 and is a bit of a lonely road through a bunch of sagebrush. Then, at the park entrance, you have a very sharp left turn, less than a full 90 degree angle. In wintertime, only one loop (the loop that overlooks the Columbia River) is open. Each site is paved and quite spacious and includes a large grassy area with a great picnic table and fire ring. Also, each site has full hookups, to include sewer! However, in wintertime, the water is shut off (the water faucets are removed). You can obtain fresh water at the entrance to the RV loop. The pull-through spots are on the outer edge of the loop and are all shaped in the "arc" shape, but it's a wide arc, with plenty of room for a toad. I highly recommend Spot #21, it's on a corner, with a wide view of the river. Not all pull-through sites have a river view. The back-ins are on the inside of the loop. Restrooms were very clean, the best I have seen at a state park. Showers were 50 cents for three minutes. TV reception is very spotty on analog channels, you will be lucky to get five stations via antenna. Forget about getting the High Def channels. I don't know how satellites would work here. I'm sure this park is quite busy in the summer, but if it's winter and you are traveling on Interstate 90, this is a very serene place to stop for a night and get your sanity back! We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Motorhome.

klclose

A very nice campground with large sites. Be sure to reserve a site if you are going during peak season. It is great for boating. We had a site with a wonderful water view. Three miles from I90, so was nice and quiet. We camped at Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Ginkgo Petrified Forest / Wanapum State Park?