1 Terrible

190 Smokey Bottom Road
Elkins, West Virginia 26241

Longitude: -79.820127

Elevation: 2059' (approximate)
  • Pull-thru Sites Pull-thru Sites ?
  • Big Rig Access Big Rig Access ?
  • Tent Camping Tent Camping ?
  • Restrooms Restrooms no
  • Showers Showers no
  • Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ?
  • Phone Phone ?
  • Pets Allowed Pets Allowed ?
  • Kid Friendly Kid Friendly ?

Ask fellow campers about "Smokey Bottom Campground" and nearby attractions.

1 Review

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $40.00

This is a very strange park, there appeared to be many permanent residents . When I contacted them to make a reservation I was told to just pull in and to take any available site and that the owner would stop by for payment. We did as instructed. The spots are fairly rough, not level, mostly on grass / mud. We stayed 2 nights while sightseeing in the area, every evening and morning we waited for the owner to collect the fee and tell us the wi-fi code. Nobody ever came, I tried to call him but there is absolutely no Verizon service for miles around. I asked the gentleman parked next to me and he told me the owner said he would come by to collect also. I looked for a pay phone in town, of course there are none anymore. I tried using an IP phone app on my cell phone while at McDonalds and the call wouldn't go through. So early on the third morning my wife and I hooked up and again looked for some indication of where we were to pay the fee but found nothing, so we left, thinking we would contact the owner once we had phone service and get the address to mail him a check. We were about 5 miles out of town when this black pick-up truck zoomed up behind us frantically flashing his lights. I slowed down so he could pass but he wouldn't, just kept zooming up on my bumper flashing his lights. Finally I made a turn to get onto a 4 lane highway and he pulled up beside me screaming something at me out of the open passenger window of his truck. I couldn't figure out what I had done to cause this road rage, honestly he scared my wife and me half to death, he was so angry. Turns out it was the campground owner wanting his money. When I finally realized this I pulled over and he pulled in front of us and came back to the truck in a rage, I tried to explain the effort I had gone through to contact him but he was in a total fury screaming at me, so I just paid him the $80 and he sped off. My suggestion is if you are in Elkins, stay at one of the nearby state / federal parks. We camped at Smokey Bottom Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Dirt, Grass

Seven Winds RV Park

Liberal, Kansas

Mountain Valley RV Resort

Heber City, Utah

Are you affiliated with Smokey Bottom Campground ?