Shady Rest RV Park

Shady Springs, West Virginia

Recent Rate: $25 8/2014

urlookingood

Park is located just off I-64 near Beckley. There is a narrow entrance road that winds about a mile to the park entrance. This is a great place to stay for the night if you are on the road and just want a place with full hookup and to get a good night's sleep. Campground is quiet and there are gravel sites. There are no amenities and most of the campers are workers at a nearby project. Price posted for a 30 amp site is $25.00. Even though this is a member of Good Sam Club parks, you won't get a discount. 50 amps are $30. You will be told that the $25 includes the discount! Gentleman who runs the place is pleasant. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Jane G

The owners here were very friendly, but the road coming in was not. It is very narrow and curvy; I was very nervous coming in, but no way to turn back. The site is a field with hookups. It was mowed and clean, but a mild sewer odor was present. I would not recommend this to any large rig. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

hughdogg6

Pulled off of Interstate because of their sign. If you remember the old Desi/Lucy movie, "The Long, Long Trailer," then you know what the entry road leading here is like. I don't recommend taking anything in here over 18' long. A converted farm, unbelivably (nearly impossible) difficult to navigate. Save the twenty five bucks and find somewhere else. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

larhode

I would rather stay at a Walmart and use the money to run my generator than stay in this place. It's just a bare field with some hookups. If you just absolutely have to have electricity for one night, I guess it would be alright, otherwise find somewhere else. I can't believe someone else gave it a 10 rating. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

Moerose

The only shady thing here, is this "park." It's not a park: it's someone's land and they put down about a dozen hookups. I don't know what a tenter would do: I see no bath house. It's not shady, it's in an open field. I only read the 10 out of 10 review about the wondrous experience provided here and decided to go for it. Big mistake. It's ugly, unattractive and just plain not an RV park. The road up to this is single lane. For $25 bucks I could have stayed somewhere a whole lot nicer. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

Tracy Ayres Smith

Our Experience was wonderful. The camp is quiet, clean, and close to local attractions. The owner was helpful and made us feel right at home. We are going to return at the first opportunity. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

Deniselg

We found this park in the Escapees book. It was not listed on the brochure from the information center at entrance to the state. The road into the park is narrow and a long part of it is dirt. The road is winding with a 90 degree uphill/ downhill turn. The site we were given was gravel, in the middle of a field, but there were sites ringed around the field in the trees. There are no facilities, although there was a full hook-up with 50 amp. The staff were friendly and very nice to us, but I would not recommend the park as there is nothing there and the road in and out is narrow, winding and scary with tree limbs hitting the roof of the motor home. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

iradi8

This is not an RV park. This is someone's home and land. I read the previous reviews and no red flags went up. We barely made it to this RV park in our 40' motorhome. We are experienced drivers and were very worried about this unpaved, curvy, narrow, tree-lined, steep uphill/downhill road to the park. At one point, we made a sharp left turn to go downhill and a car was coming up the hill. The road is so narrow that the car had to back up all the way down the hill and pull into a driveway to let us pass. The driveway to the park is just as bad. Our toad went off the road a bit while making the almost u-turn into the steep driveway. Then, once up the curving driveway, we had to make a left turn and go between two trees. The owner was very nice and showed us to a site. He told us to get settled in and he would come collect the money later. He also invited us to listen to some bluegrass music later that evening. The RV sites are on a grassy hill that is very unlevel. We were not able to level the motorhome left to right. There are a few sites that have a rock bed for the RV. We only hooked up to electric which was fine. There is nothing here but a place to park. There are no facilities. There is supposed to be WiFi, but my computer did not pick up anything. We didn't see any other people here, but there was one RV parked in a site. When the owner came to collect the money, I asked if he had a Good Sam discount. He told me that everybody pays the same and that he sets his price low. So, I don't know how others got a discount. On the way out, on the access road back to the interstate where it is gravel, we were going up a steep uphill climb and had to make a sharp right turn. The road is canted there, and something under the motorhome scraped. I would never stay here again. Unfortunately, the roads are not suitable for RVs. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

Rick Schoenborn

This is a very pleasant campground but hard to find. The map location is incorrect and we wound up on a dead end road about 20 miles away from the campground. The campground is off of exit 233 of I-64. Then road leading to it is about .6 miles north of the exit. The campground itself is in a beautiful location but it lacks any facilities save the electric, water and sewer connections. The owner is very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

Admin note: Per owner: Park is at I-64 exit 133, travel north on Hwy 27. Hwy 27 will bend back to the west and will cross back over I-64. Park will be 1/8 of a mile on right side (south side of I-64). Map pin is set to correct place. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Motorhome.

User340

We have stayed at the Shady Rest many times over the past 3 years. It is a great stop on Interstate 64 in WV. The location is 1.5 miles from the Interstate and the road is narrow, but easy to navigate. When you arrive at the campground, the owners are hospitable and make you feel at home. We have never noticed road noise, only birds singing and the occasional owl. This is a great place to stay if enjoying the New River Gorge for rafting, fishing, or Bridge Day. There is ample room to walk the dogs. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Comdac

I don't disagree with the review of 2003 but a rating of 9 seems very generous. When you arrive at the end of the Interstate exit ramp, the sign says 0.5 miles. That is really the distance to the road that leads to the campground. That road is gravel and narrow which isn't too bad if it is daytime and you don't meet someone going in the opposite direction. It is another mile down this road to the campground entrance. The campground is a haphazard arrangement of sites on the owner's large piece of property. Some effort was made to grade the sites to make them level. Some sites were gravel and some were grass. There is WiFi broadcast from the upper floor window of the owner's home but I got a 1 and 2 bar signal from about 200 yards away. Not too bad. The campground is only 500 feet from the Interstate but the road noise was drowned out by our A/C. The owner was very friendly and offered a discount that I had overlooked and had not asked for. There are no amenities and the campground is about 12 miles east of Beckley, WV so I would not consider this to be a destination campground or suitable for kids. Although it was cloudy the night we stayed, I imagine that this location would be great for stargazing since it is out in the country away from city lights. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Motorhome Madness

A little hard to get to but a pleasant surprise once you get there. No restrooms or
showers here but what it lacks in amenities it makes up for in green space, views and a laid back atmosphere. This is a small operation and the owner is very friendly. He volunteered a break on the rate without us asking. I felt very much at home here and would go back in a minute if I was in the area again. We camped at Shady Rest RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Shady Rest RV Park?