Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground)

Recent Rate: $50 8/2016

• Lake Lake yes
  • River River yes
  • Creek Creek yes

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $57.00

First things first: what a horrible roads in the campground on rows E, F and G. You pay 57 dollars per night and you get 57 deep potholes in return before you reach your site! This is a shame!
That being said, the staff is very friendly.
The back-in sites are almost level, but very short and narrow. The RV of your 'backdoor' neighbor, is almost touching your RV and the sitting area is about 100 sq. feet.
But you have little choice in Yellowstone...
No phone coverage, no Wi-Fi. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $50.00

Location, location, location. Without the great location this place would have received a 1 star rating. We reserved a 35 foot site for our 33 foot trailer, they gave us a 30 foot site. The roads for loops E, F, and G are so bad you can walk faster on them than you can drive due to the deep and frequent potholes. The sites are extremely tight as you can reach out and touch the neighbor behind you. The sewer connection is 1 foot above the ground. I guess sewage is supposed to run uphill. Use your holding tanks and dump station if you can. Dump when you arrive if you need to. At 7pm I had to wait 15 minutes for a shower. My wife had to wait 30 minutes. No line, however, at 5pm.

The Verizon Wireless system was overloaded most of the time if you were trying to use any data connection. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $57.00

There are at least 6 loops in this park. A-D are paved and looked nice. We were in E. The road to get to our back-in site was very narrow and full of potholes filled with muddy water. The road is only as wide as a tow vehicle and trailer, and is bordered on one side by forest. If someone has/is backing in and must unhook their tow vehicle, you will need to wait because you cannot pass. The sites are short. They say they will take 40-foot rigs, but that is pushing it. We were able to park our truck on the side, but right into a pine tree, so it was hard to open the back door. The site for the RV is narrow. When I got up in the morning, our neighbor behind us was practically in our living room. Supposedly, there are Grizzly Bears around, but we only saw a few buffalo and some trout swimming upstream at LaHardy Rapids! There is an auto/RV repair place (not surprised with all the potholes), a General Store, and a Visitor's Center, where one of the Ranger's told me most people do not like this park. It is very expensive for what you get. When leaving, you have to deposit your check-in slip, which means getting out of the tow vehicle or motor home to reach the drop box. We won't stay here again. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

E-187

Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

General Store sells mostly souvenirs with minimal grocery selection. Prices are very high - $10 for creamer and a bottle of coffee. There is gasoline, including diesel.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

Tight spaces and very close to your neighbor, but we didn't go to spend a bunch of time at the RV! Dusty when dry and huge puddles when rainy! We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Motorhome.

Loop G

Yellowstone National Park

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $53.00

Location, location, location. We chose this park for the full hookup in the central area of Yellowstone. We were gone from the campsite most of the time but the sites are a LOT closer than what I prefer. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $57.00

These ratings are high only due to its location. It is the only game in town, so... We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

E loop
Not big enough for my travel trailer

E-F loop was unpaved. If you get these at check-in, ask for AB or CD. The dust in the dry summer is unbearable.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $55.00

I feel bad for our NPS. They are being inundated for this 100th anniversary year and our administration has not pre-planned nor given funding to prepare our parks for the amazing crowds coming from around the world to see our natural wonders.

This park needs TLC and help. We had a stay of 3 weeks planned, (we full time), and were given a back of the park site. It was horrid. dusty, dirt, with pitted, gullied dirt road access. We were fortunate to relocate after two nights to the front. Don't stay here if you cannot get into sections A, B, C or D. Other than that: it is the only option for rigs to stay within the park with full hookups. That makes inconvenience worth it.

Watch out for Grizzlies! They occasionally wander through the camp. Laundry good. Wifi and cell horrible, (C'mon US Gov't, you created the internet. Can't you make it better at your Nat'l Parks?)

Food shopping within park marginal at best. Plan ahead. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

B 23

Poor Conditions

West Yellowstone town has decent grocery if you are over that way and need to replenish. Heard that Gardiner at north entrance has similar. Get out early to beat crowds and better chance of seeing wildlife. Expect traffic jams from wildlife sightings. Folks just stop in the middle of the road, and bison feel an entitlement to walk down roads and over bridges. That is part of the reason you are here, right?

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $55.00

We stay here for one thing: location, location, location. Lots of potholes and dust. Roads through sites are narrow. Don't be surprised when you have to stop and wait for someone to pull out or back in. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Motorhome.

D

Poor Conditions

Enjoy this beautiful park!

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $55.00

Despite all the bad reviews I read about this place, I resolved to keep an open mind about it. They were right. This campground, the only one in all of Yellowstone NP with hook-ups: was crowded, dusty, muddy, tight, uneven, unsightly and replete with pot-holes. The roads are so narrow with big trees lining them that you have to be careful to avoid bashing your fender when backing in your rig. The sewer connection is poorly located and elevated such that you cannot achieve a decent gravity fall from your dump valve. I found it useless and had to use the dump station when we left. For being a US government park, it was embarrassing. We were here a week and very thankfully stayed away most of the days touring the park. This over-priced facility (relative to what you get) in a national park will not recognize your senior pass. I would rather have dry-camped in one of the parks' other campgrounds. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

E Loop
Asphalt, Gravel, Dirt, Sand

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Kaz

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

As noted, there are really two separate campgrounds here. Loops A-B-C are paved and appear to be fine. Loops D-E-F (we stayed in E) are separate and are essentially unimproved. The elevated sewer connection is very difficult, almost impossible, to use. The sites are so small that the offset back-to-back arrangement of the sites actually had the unit behind me overlapping (nearly touching) our rig. Plus, the campsite was hugely out of level, and the road so potholed that driving in and out of the campground was miserable. The biggest problem, though, is that the campsite was so dusty, and made even more so by every passing vehicle, that it was uninhabitable. Everything, inside and out of our RV, was covered in dirt. My wife could scarcely breathe. Walking the dogs was awful and they came back covered in dust. We've been camping in National Parks for 44 years, and this was by far the worst experience I've ever had. I understand that these loops are scheduled to be improved in a couple years, but until then, unless I could be guaranteed a spot in one of the A-B-C loops (which isn't possible under the current reservation system), I'd decline to reserve anything here and would dry camp instead. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Motorhome.

E213
Not big enough for my motorhome

Poor Conditions

Conventional wisdom is that the park is so big that staying in the park, even in a substandard campground like Fishing Bridge, is worth it. After staying here, the misery of the campground might very well outweigh the benefit of an in-park location.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

I suggest thinking carefully about what matters the most to you before choosing whether or not to stay here: this campground *is* centrally located within Yellowstone NP and does have full hookups, but the dirt sites are extremely close (5-10 feet from your neighbor, see pictures), there isn't even a picnic table (!), no fire ring (fires not allowed), and parking your truck is tight too. The distances between the main points in Yellowstone are so large that staying outside the park adds to the already long driving time between places. For us, the location outweighed the shortcomings of the site.

We stayed 5 nights in site C77 which was first site in that part of C loop so it had some extra space. They instruct you to back into the site but the road is narrow with trees and large rocks along the edge, so there was barely enough room for the front of the truck to swing around to get the trailer in the spot. Instead, I'd suggest entering your site by going the wrong way down the loop and pulling in forward. I had to park next to the trailer and my neighbor parked behind and perpendicular to my trailer.

There is laundry ($2.25/wash and $2/dry) and showers ($4.16/shower) at the check-in office a short walk away. You get 2 free showers per night of your stay. We had no cell service (AT&T) at the campground nor throughout the park except for a few spots in Hayden Valley. Some of the visitor centers had (spotty) Wi-Fi. No over-the-air TV, but after some work I was able to pick up a satellite signal.

For a first visit to Yellowstone, I think this is fine. The staff was friendly. Next time we would probably look to stay on the north or west end of the park. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

C77

Stock up on groceries before arriving. Gas/diesel and basic food items are available at the general store close by, but it is all very pricey.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

I admit that we had perhaps one of the best sites. Loop B #64 = end of row site. I think having a 40 ft. 5th wheel was helpful in getting this spot. We wouldn't fit in the sites that are more back to back. There was a tree in the end cap space right out our dining table window & trees on end across the road = a nice view from table. Large rear window looked across road to wooded area between loop & registration/shower building. The sewer connection is different but we did not need any special equipment to utilize. The hookup was on a cement "platform" with a connection on the top & on the side. We used the side. I have been in other private RV parks where I was just as close to my neighbors.

There were kids playing in the woods between loops, riding bikes & playing tag on the road. So no traditional play ground as in some campgrounds, but the kids seemed happy. There were 8 showers with morning & evening lines. I used the shower in our rig. We did not tour the other loops so I cannot offer an opinion on those.

There are no picnic tables or fire rings. My understanding that is because of the close proximity of bears. So, it is a safety thing. The same as only hard sided vehicles can camp here.

The staff at the registration counter were great. Our daughter & family had a cabin at Lake. They picked us up each morning for sightseeing. There was no problem parking their mini van on the shoulder across the road.

We would definitely stay here again. You are not just in the park, but also fairly centrally located. Yellowstone is huge. Being in the park is crucial or best use of time. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

B64

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $59.00

Horrible roads in the campground on rows E, F and G. You pay 57 dollars per night and have an adventure getting home every night. The staff is very friendly. The back-in sites are almost level, but very short and narrow. The RV of your 'backdoor' neighbor is almost touching your RV and the sitting area is about 100 sq. feet. The sites are extremely tight. No phone coverage, no Wi-Fi. I had to wait 15 minutes for a shower. No line however, at 5pm. Laundry good. Wifi and cell horrible. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Sec G

Poor Conditions

If you need anything during your stay go to the town of West Yellowstone. It is just outside the exit from the park and you will save a lot of money and get what you need. Groceries, clothing, toiletries, etc.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $53.00

For a State Park, at least it had full hookups. No cable, and unable to connect our satellite. Terrible phone reception. Sites were very close together and we barely got our tow car on the site. No picnic tables. Lots of warnings for food storage due to bears. Easy to get around Yellowstone. One night was enough for us. Staff were friendly and welcoming. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Motorhome.

A7

Yellowstone- so much to see. Easy to get around. The fishing bridge general store is excellent.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $53.00

Campsite was concrete slab however roads are dirt. Dust billows when anyone drive past the site. No picnic table or fire ring. Campsite roads are very rough, recommend you keep your windows closed to keep out the dust. We camped at Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

G358

Are you affiliated with Fishing Bridge Campground (NPS Campground)?