Shortage Of Rv People On Road

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by John Blue, Jun 4, 2006.

1. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have completed a 3500 mile trip in ten states and find a shortage of RV people on the roads. At the Flying-J truck fuel pits we could see no lines in RV fuel pits, places to eat are empty, and rest stops only have trucks and cars. One park in PA had one unit in place out of 53 sites, in WV park had 60 plus sites and as we pulled out one unit was in park and they planned to move out in hour or so. In MD state park office gave me a map and told me to find site you like. This park had 200 plus sites and we found six units, tents and all. KY Horse Park has 260 sites, on weekend park was 80% full but on Sunday by noon only around 20 units in park. We found the same thing every place we went and we moved every two to four days. Wal-Mart lots were also empty of RV units day and night.

We think the high fuel prices have run most RV people off the road. It added around $300 to $400 to our trip for diesel fuel. I do not think anyone will have a problem with full parks this summer. Have other RV people who travel full time found the same thing?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

It's still early, most schools just let out for the summer. We haven't had ours out yet and it's not because of the fuel prices. Not all of us are as lucky as you and get to be retired - we still have to work :wacko: . I do know that the Myrtle Beach parks are mostly booked full for the entire summer.

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Fuel prices are definitely having a negative impact on the RV industry no matter what the self-serving RV magazines and industry tell us. We have observed several parks that are half full when, last year at this time, they were full. Right now, we are at a super nice park in Coeur d'Alene. Last year, you could not get in. As I sit here and look out at the park (and it is a weekend!) at least 75% of the spaces are empty. Those who say that the industry is not being hurt are just whistling in the dark. Hopefully, fuel prices will begin to come down and we can see a turnaround.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

John,
    Can I ask what your average price per gallon for diesel was?

5. olszinner

olszinner
    Expand Collapse

:)
    Life is good.....all those empty spaces. Time to go is now before gas prices fall.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl,

The diesel fuel prices are below.

4/8 2.66 in FL
    4/10 2.60 in GA
    4/23 2.78 in TN
    5/8 2.74 in KY
    5/12 2.95 in PA
    5/21 2.68 in VA
    5/30 2.82 in GA

We have a 150 gal tank and the hills do not help our mileage. We run around 8.5 to 9 MPG on this trip.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We have been out three times, two in May and one in June. Of course as Cheryl had stated, "school is not out". Two of the campgrounds we have used, were not full, in fact weren't even half full. The weather has been cool and rainy, and the price of fuel is HIGH ! Gasoline is running at $2.85-$2.91, but found a Hess @ $2.77 yesterday, (June 4th) so we filled up. Diesel is running at the 3 dollar level, and these prices are in the upstate region of New York State. We went to Pownal/Bennington Vermont area for Memorial Day weekend, fuel was cheaper there than it was in New York, and the Vermont campground was full, and all were from out of state. We have changed our itineraries and we are using campgrounds closer to home.

8. slick60

slick60
    Expand Collapse

Come South Brother :)
    The Memoral Day weekend had campgrounds full. I was in Nashville the week after and the parks on Music Valley were 80-90% full. Gas prices are ridiculous. I saw 25 cent spreads in 20 miles. We the consumer are getting the shaft. However, if you bought a camper or RV for the gas mileage you made a bad decision. Just go and have fun....no price for good times. B) :D

9. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

It maybe true in different parts of the country but where we live there isn't a shortage of RVer's traveling by our home town North and South We live right off of I-57 in IL. As for gas price we had been enjoying $2.76/ gas $2.80 desiel and now it has gone up to $2.86/gas and $2.90 for desiel. It won't affect my travels as i already have been out a couple of times and will be going TN at the end of the month. I can only speak for us but spending time in the wilderness with my family is why I bought a travel trailer and It beat going to a hotel :) Happy Trails to all..... :)

10. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks John,
    It always helps to have an idea of prices before leaving.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond
    Expand Collapse

Can you guys ship some of that diesel out west? Prices are 3 .049 in AZ and 3.299 here in Utah. Parks are definitely not as full as last year.

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Jun 5 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]4345[/snapback]

Thanks John,
    It always helps to have an idea of prices before leaving.

12. denbroncs

denbroncs
    Expand Collapse

No shortage of RV's in the Ohio area. Camps that I've been to seem busy - and I-70 is jammed (as usual) in both directions with RV's.

13. First hybrid06

First hybrid06
    Expand Collapse

I live in the Phoenix area and going for our first "major' trip with our HTT.

Been to the race and the lake but driving to Tucson next week.

Gas prices today for reg was $2.89( sorry didn't see diesel) at local places.

I have a rewards ticket for a local gas station for 6 cents off a gallon. You bet I will use it in my Suburban next week!! :)

I know ,for us, the prices have stopped us from traveling this summer. Was going to New Mexico next week (instead of tucson) but driving "up the hill" here would have used ALOT!!!!!.

We need to plan for long distance trips now, just fo rthe gas

14. Homer

Homer
    Expand Collapse

I just returned from a short trip through N/W Ohio and Indiana. There were very few RV's out on the road. The campgrounds were empty, literally, all during the week days, where normally they would be at least 80% full. The week end brought out many young families with their children. I noticed most were from with in 25 miles of the campground. I also noticed hardly any one was driving around as usual, they let their toads and trucks sit the whole time they were at the campground. So there are changes going on, how long it last is any ones guess. I know I am going shorter distances and staying in one place longer than I did before. My reason is, I simply do not want to participate in the gouging any more than is absolutely necessary. ;)

15. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

Mohave Desert and Southern Cal are 3.17 for 87 octane gas, and 3.29-3.3.39 for diesel

Good luck all, am on a business trip and mamma is preping the 5'er for departure 24 hours after my return.

16. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

We were campground hosts the past week at a very nice park in NW Ohio. The park was nearly empty early in the week. By the weekend the facility was completely filled. Most of the campers were local who did not want to spend money on fuel. One unit was visiting their son and drove about 100 miles. There was only one unit that was on the road (full timer).

There is not a doubt in my mine that the fuel costs will limit longer trips. It probably will increase local use of the facilities. The typical trips to vacation destinations will suffer.

Local gasoline prices increased $.29 cents yesterday.

17. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

No storage of RVers around the Gunnison, CO. area. Out on Highway 50, see them going by all the time. Wife and I are workamping at Gunnison Lakeside RV Resort, it's been full every weekend so far. Lots of guys and gals getting out on their boats and going fishing at Blue Mesa too. Mostly from CO. But have had people from AZ. TX. IL.

Diesel in Gunnison is $3.30 a gallon. Regular unleaded is $2.99. Premium is $3.07

18. Lynnwagoner

Lynnwagoner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(OldSoldier @ Jun 12 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]4375[/snapback]

Mohave Desert and Southern Cal are 3.17 for 87 octane gas, and 3.29-3.3.39 for diesel

Good luck all, am on a business trip and mamma is preping the 5'er for departure 24 hours after my return.

19. compokel

compokel
    Expand Collapse

Where oh where is diesel under $3.00?! I generally go cross country at this time of year but I've only made it half way up the state of CA where I've paid $3.12 - $3.25! Got to sit & recoup! But despite the high cost of fuel here in the west, I still see a lot of us on the road. The campground isn't full but it's 110 degrees & ugly as can be.

Keep rollin'!

20. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

compokel

diesel is running $2.88 a gallon here in the midwest and gas is now $2.94 a gallon have a safe trip

;quote name='Lynnwagoner' date='Jun 17 2006, 07:47 PM' post='4416']
    [/quote]