Water spigot vs water

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Dr. John, May 27, 2018.

1. Dr. John

Dr. John
    Expand Collapse

What is the difference between "water spigot" (which appears in the short list of hookups for a park) and "water" (which appears only when you select to show all)? I experimented with different RV parks and it seems that the latter term refers to a water hookup. Why then, is "water" not shown in the short list? Also, standard RV water hookups are water spigots. Why use both terms?

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yup sounds to be one and the same, maybe a mistake. If i'm not mistaken spigot is a more old school term vs water hookup.

My reply should bump this to Latest replies so hopefully one of the admins can respond

Mike

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As I recall (and my recall is getting foggier and foggier these days :cool:) the "water spigot" was meant to mean that potable water was available "somewhere" in the CG even if not at your site. For Forest Service and other primitive CGs this is could be an important piece of information.

The "other" water checkbox was intended to mean "water at sites", in other words, RV hookups with water. Clearly, the OP's question demonstrates that our intent isn't self-evident. Maybe "water spigot" should be replaced by "potable water"?

RickB likes this.
  4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I agree with docj's explanation of the difference between these two amenities, but they are confusing as they are listed. I have seen several other ways this is presented on other sites. One I liked (that does not exactly follow our format) had the heading "Utilities Available at Sites" and then listed 30 amp, 50 amp, water, and sewer as check offs. I have also seen "water spigot" referred to as potable water spigots, potable water source, potable water available, water spigots in campground. In any case, our listing needs an improvement.

5. Dr. John

Dr. John
    Expand Collapse

As the original poster (is that what OP means?) I suggest the following. Since the two terms are currently listed under "Hookups", only the term "water" should be listed. A water spigot for some other use is not a hookup. Of course, the admins will have to decide how to translate the existing data for two terms into one term. My unscientific survey (sample size too small) of the current state is that "water spigot" is more often shown as "?" than is "water". It does need fixing. It confused me.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for your suggestion. I agree with your thinking. I think potable water spigots would more accurately be a park feature or amenity.

mdcamping likes this.
  7. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think we can make this change - thanks for pointing out the confusion.