What happened to this app?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by TakumarGirl, Aug 23, 2018.

1. TakumarGirl

TakumarGirl
    Expand Collapse

This app used to pull up a map of all campsites located in an area I was interested in and I could just click on the pin points of campsites to get reviews. It was perfect. I am having a terrible time navigating through this app. What happened?

P Ardis likes this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Google changed their API for the maps, and it'll take a couple of days for a temporary correction to circulate while a new version of the app is nearing completion. I understand the iOS version of the temporary fix is already in distribution, with the Android version close behind...

3. Tucson

Tucson
    Expand Collapse

When are the maps coming back?

P Ardis likes this.
  4. Ellistea

Ellistea
    Expand Collapse

I'll third the concern! I'm on the computer right now, not on my ipad, but I used to really like the map feature and now . . . well, it's been bad for awhile, so hope it gets fixed soon.

5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We're working on it... thanks for your patience.

Ellistea likes this.
  6. Tucson

Tucson
    Expand Collapse

On my iPad I use to see the map with my location and tap on a site to open. Now, I get the map of the us and if I click on Arizona all I get is recommendations and advertisements, what happened to the map.

7. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

A recent change to googles mapping tools has broken map displays on the RVPR mobile app. We are anticipating an update to the current app to address this while we await a full rewrite (in progress). We apologize for any inconvenience this this may be causing you. In the interim, the site loads on a regular mobile browser (without an app) and is working. Thanks for your patience..

8. P Ardis

P Ardis
    Expand Collapse

This is way more complicated than the old version. I used the old app all the time. I have about quit using this app.

MNroadie and ybmsteve like this.
  9. Chateau 22B

Chateau 22B
    Expand Collapse

I am not using an app. When I open the site in Safari on my iPhone, I do not get maps. So it does not appear to be working there, either.

10. MNroadie

MNroadie
    Expand Collapse

Same here. No maps at all.

11. rjncat

rjncat
    Expand Collapse

I am using the app on an Android tablet. The app works but the maps are darkened and divided into squares. Each says "for development purposes only ".
    But it does work.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That's the new default map configuration for Google until a developer gets everything working properly. Hopefully, we'll have all this working properly soon. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

#12 docj, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  13. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

#13 Janet H, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  14. dk-trvl

dk-trvl
    Expand Collapse

OK, I'm disappointed, disgusted, and annoyed. I use a desktop, not a cell phone or a tablet. I commend you for building a new interface, but how about providing the old one until you get the new one up and running. Please give us both instead of making excuses. Let us choose which we will use.

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

It's my understanding that changes made by Google essentially made the old app inoperable. The new app isn't a voluntary new effort; it was made essential.

NYDutch likes this.
  16. dk-trvl

dk-trvl
    Expand Collapse

Hey docj - thanks for responding. I'm still disappointed, disgusted, and annoyed, but i can see where RVPR may feel like they had their "feet pulled out from under them" also. It's actually kind of funny, Google spent a couple of decades fighting/competing with Microsoft. Now they are apparently using one of the MS marketing strategies -- Change the interface (without warning) to ailienate the product users.

17. C Young

C Young
    Expand Collapse

So, is there any timeframe when the map will be available again? I also use a desktop and like the map to view all my options when searching for a park.

18. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The campgroundreviews.com app has been incorporated into the RVLife app which you can download from Google Play or the Apple store.

19. C Young

C Young
    Expand Collapse

Are you saying that RV Park Reviews will no longer be available on the web, so the only way we can use it is on an android device?

20. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The campgroundreviews.com website isn't going away. All that's changed is the RVParkReviews smartphone app has been rolled into the more inclusive RVLife smartphone app.