Natchez Trace Parkway

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Cyclonic, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone done this drive?

Compared to the Blue Ridge Parkway there seems to be very little information on this one.

I am looking to drive it in June, can I expect it to be crowded then? How long should I set aside to do the drive?

TXRoadrunner likes this.
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I know there are lots of people who like this drive. We found it to be like the Blue Ridge but without the mountains. Quite honestly we were bored after an hour or two. Nice countryside but nothing memorable. If it's your favorite drive, don't take offense; it just wasn't for us.

TXRoadrunner likes this.
  3. TXRoadrunner

TXRoadrunner
    Expand Collapse

We just did this drive October, 2016. It is long and the speed limit is 55MPH, so you can't be in a hurry. There are MANY historical markers with sizable pull overs. We started out stopping at every one of them, but soon realized it was taking too much time.As I recall, the trail does not go directly through ANY towns or villages, so to eat or get gas you must exit the trail. Unless you are a history buff, and particularly history of the south, you may not find it interesting; if you ARE, you will love it! Honestly, the drive itself is not very enjoyable, just a two-lane highway with forest on both side and occasionally some farmland. I can't imagine it EVER being crowded, not like the Blue Ridge Parkway anyway!

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all, good information. I did a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, to include Skyline Drive in November, and it was wonderful (and blissfully empty). I was wondering how this compares, since there really seems to be little information out there on it.

Sounds like it might not be nearly as interesting, and also faster, which is kinda what I wanted to know.

BTW, welcome TXRoadrunner! Love your T@G, they are great little campers. I have it's larger sibling, a T@B.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I have driven the Trail and the BRPW. There is not really a comparison since the mountain views are far more "exciting" on the Parkway. If you take it for what it is, without comparing the two, then it's a t-shirt moment in RVing.

6. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I think I am stealing that line. That is my thinking as well, I think I want to drive it just so I can say I have done it. I do have some interest in the history along the trail as well, so there is that.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Not to knock the Trace, in case it's someone's favorite road, but IMO a "Blue Ridge Parkway" without the mountains is visually rather boring. I didn't even want the T-shirt!

8. Damon-Becky

Damon-Becky
    Expand Collapse

Grew up near the Natchez Trace Parkway. A great place for nostalgia, some interesting history, but for a trip in an RV I'd only consider it as a gentle, easy ride from one area to another.
    I enjoyed it as a quiet trip to Jackson MS from Kosuisko. Yes, it's 55 mph all the way.

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

That is pretty much what I am expecting it to be, a quiet drive, places to camp along the way, and easy to hop on and off to see other things.

10. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Well, I drove it and got the t-shirt. Indeed, it was what I expected, a nice drive between other places, very easy to travel without stop lights and truck traffic, but not particularly interesting or exciting. I did hop on and off to visit Shiloh, Corinth, and Vicksburg. I stayed in two of the three campgrounds, and drove through the third to check it out, still have to write the reviews. Some of the pull offs were very interesting, some good local food was found (the Loveless Cafe at the north terminus was wonderful) and found the Indian mounds surprisingly interesting. A nice trip, but not one I long to do again.

Irish and Welsh likes this.