New from California

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by DivineGypsy, Feb 6, 2017.

1. DivineGypsy

DivineGypsy
    Expand Collapse

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and just getting started in my own version of RV'ing...van camping. Wondering if you are aware of campgrounds that allow van campers? I haven't yet found that information, only where campgrounds say they don't accept vans and/or tents. I will be moving to Phoenix in May and will probably want to do some van camping there at least initially. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted!

Happy travels!

Dara

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Can't help you with campgrounds around Phoenix or van camping, but just wanted to say welcome aboard!

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Welcome Dara!
    Like Cyclonic, I cannot address specific campgrounds in the Phoenix area, but generally whenever we've encountered the "no tents, etc." ruling: it meant there were no restroom facilities. o_O Those campgrounds can only accommodate self contained rigs.
    (Although, once it did mean bears: so no soft sided camping, tents, pop ups, for safety reasons.)
    Quick cell phone call to potential sites, before you hit the road in the mornings, should gain clarification.
    Happy camping!

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the other posters that a quick phone call to the RV park will help clarify if they allow your type of rig.

Fyi, another name for van campers is "Class B Motorhome". If you want to drool over the caddilac of class B RVs, look up Roadtrek online.

Chris G.
    Westminster, CO
    F3508s

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

Yup as mentioned, here on the east coast we haven't come across any campgrounds that do not allow tents or conversion vans, Though I'm sure there are a few, my guess more of a exception than a rule. I agree best bet call or check campground website policies/rules.

Hey in New England there is some real nice places too so if you make it out to our neck of the woods check in here first, we just might be able to help you out! :cool:

Mike

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

As per the posts above I cannot give you any names of Phoenix area campgrounds that do or don't allow van campers but I can tell you that many state parks allow them so as was also mentioned, a quick call to any one of them should answer your questions and get you started. Welcome to the forum, hope you read some of your camping reports in the near future. Just be careful, you start out with a van and the next thing you know you're looking at full blown self contained RVs of some type. Let the fun begin............. :D

PS: If you ever get down to the Tucson area check out the Gilbert Ray Campground. I know for a fact that they allow all types of campers, and tenting is allowed also. If you like nature, it's a great campground to experience and enjoy.................

Safe and Happy Travels, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

PS: Meant to type "hope to read" not "hope you read". Undoubtedly you will read your own reports s you will be the one writing them.............. :D Don't you just love it when you realize you've made a typo and then find out it's too late to correct it.............. :(

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)