Looking for campground for big rigs, cabins and tent camping in CA

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by CCRN, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CCRN

CCRN
    Expand Collapse

Hi, this is my year to plan the extended family camping trip. We have a large family with the largest motorhome at 38 feet. We have some family members that want cabins, and some prefer tent camping. Must be dog friendly. Many family members enjoy hiking and water. Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It would help if you would advise what areas you are interested in traveling.

3. CCRN

CCRN
    Expand Collapse

We live in the SF Bay Area. Preferably no fartherbthan 8 hour drive, and not too hot. Last few trips we were in the Trinity are and Lake Siskiyou. There will be about 40 of us total, but as I said before, some require cabins, big rig access and also tent camping

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You might take a look at Boulder Creek RV Resort on Hwy 395 just south of Lone Pine, CA. They offer everything you are looking for camping wise and we've stayed there and it's a wonderful RV park. Lots of good hiking and outdoor activities offered. Certainly within your 8 hour drive time also. Highly recommend you check it out. Lots of very good reviews to read about on RVPR. Hope this helps...................

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

5. CCRN

CCRN
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the suggestion. My niece now wants to join us from Portland, so we are hoping to find a place within 8 hours of each of us.

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You might try Bend/Sisters Garden RV Resort in Sisters, OR. A little more than half way for you but for your niece, not so much. I know they have big rig sites and have a nice selection of cottages and cabins in a really nice setting. We have never stayed there but have driven by and know folks who have and enjoyed it very much. Only problem might be that I don't believe they offer tent camping which may throw a monkey wrench into things. Perhaps you could talk your tenting folks into trying a cabin for this one time? Or who knows they might be able to get an RV site that they could put a tent on, that would be up to management of course. Good luck..............

BankShot................(aka Terry)

7. CCRN

CCRN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again for the suggestion, but my niece is one of the tent campers, and everyone else is in the SF Bay Area. We have a 38 foot RV, and my sister has a pitbull, so I have found the dog breed restricts us as well. This is getting so frustrating

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

With the three different types of campers in your crowd plus the pit bull, you might find it pretty difficult to find a campground that will accommodate all your needs and requirements. About all you can do is start checking all the campgrounds and RV parks between the bay area and Portland off of 101 and I-5 and possibly you will come up with one that can and will accommodate you. Offhand I'd say the pit bull will probably be your biggest problem but again, keep looking, something might just turn up.......

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

9. CCRN

CCRN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all of your suggestions Bankshot. Keep your fingers crossed for me

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You might give Redwood Cabins & RV Resort in Eureka, CA a try. Never stayed there but their website states they can handle big rigs, have cabins, allow tents..and are pet friendly. Their phone # is 707-822-4243. Could be this might work out for your group gathering? Hope this helps................

BankShot............(aka Terry)

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Kennel the pit bull? might solve many problems, sometimes campgrounds with stricter pet policies will have contacts to local kennels, and on some occasions campgrounds with loose pet policies might have some leniency if you call and explain your situation in advance... just a shot in the dark

Good Luck!
    Mike

Ellistea likes this.
  12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

You mentioned it was YOUR year to plan this trip. May I ask where did you all meet up last year?

13. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

Never been there, but I've heard positive feedback about Redwood Cabins & RV Resort.

14. NewbieMarie

NewbieMarie
    Expand Collapse

15. Ellistea

Ellistea
    Expand Collapse

Good luck in finding a place - sounds like quite the logistical challenge. In my limited experience, it's hard to find everything you want - probably the "pick 2 out of 3" situation. But I have to agree with the commenter above - I'd consider kenneling the dog to avoid problems. As a dog owner and dog lover, I've had a few run-ins between my small dog (chihuahua/jack russell terrier) and much more aggressive breed dogs - much as I hate to admit it, I do understand why there are breed restrictions. Frankly, I'm surprised that there are very many places that allow pitties or rotties at this point. Which is totally unfair, but there's always some knucklehead who poisons the well for the rest of the great dog owners out there (which I am sure you are.) If you find a place that meets all our needs, please pass it along.