Looking for app for locating RV accessible gas stations

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Feb 19, 2017.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi everyone, I'm in the early stages of planning a 2 week trip to Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island. Was wondering what is a good preferred app for locating RV accessible gas stations in the US & Canada.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We have a diesel-powered MH and use the Trucker Path app to locate stations with truck pumps. However, this doesn't help you all that much if you required gas, not diesel.

We've spent a lot of time in Nova Scotia and PEI and we've never had too much of a problem finding places to fuel. Trucker path does work in Canada and most of the stations along the main routes are truck-friendly. As for PEI, most all stations are small rural places but things aren't very congested and you shouldn't have trouble getting in or out of most of them. Two years ago I even had someone there fill my diesel tank while I was parked at a campground!

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I just use the Gas Buddy app to locate area stations. I've never had a problem finding a station I could get into and out of with minimal fuss with our 34' gasser. I always plan my exit before I enter...

4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Just loaded this app. Thanks Joel. It will be useful as we tow our 5er across Canada this coming summer. Getting in and out of gas stations for diesel was also a concern of mine.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

When I have the time, I combine use of the app with Google satellite imagery including street level views. I like to see what things will look like as I approach them. That way I know if it will be easier to swing into a station from one direction or the other.

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Best I get is about 180 miles give or take before I have to refill. This is my concern about the stations being to spread out. Though I'm sure I wouldn't run into a worst case scenario, just working on getting my homework done. :)

Thanks everyone for your advise.

More questions coming soon on our big summer trip! :cool:

Mike

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

You won't have any problems on PEI. There are gas stations in all decent sized towns and the island just isn't all that big. Driving around the island is slow because the roads are mostly 2-lane and are hilly and occasionally winding but you really don't go very far.

We found it much easier to leave the MH parked at a site and explored most of the island by car. Personally, I would recommend one CG in the Summerside region to allow you to cover things on the northern/western side of the island including all the Anne of Green Gables stuff (very much not our favorite) near Cavendish. The relocate to somewhere on the east side of the island to see things on that side. You'll also want to spend time in Charlottetown (which is sort of in the center) but we always drove from wherever we were staying to the city for whatever events we were attending.

Of course, that's us, and we didn't mind driving the car ~45 minutes to get to Charlottetown or similar times to get to other places we wanted to visit. Some people like to stay closer to things.

We fell in love with PEI; our impression is that Americans either love it or think it is boring. If you're looking for "gee, wow" tourist sights, you'll be in that second group. However, if you want to get to know some of the nicest, friendliest people in the western hemisphere then spend enough time here to meet some of them. Try going to a couple of ceilidhs (after you've learned to pronounce the word!) or attend a concert at the College of Piping and Celtic Performing Arts--we did and we're hooked on PEI.

ToSlow likes this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think we will be in the "first group" as this trip will be just me and DW . As our trip starts to get closer I will look into your recommendations! Thanks!

Mike

9. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Are you using a GPS? Our garmin will tell you how far to the next gas is.

momdoc

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The issue in question is where the next "accessible" gas station is, not simply where the nearest gas is. For those of us who drive large and/or diesel vehicles those can be verry different questions.

11. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Now I have to check because I am sure we programed ours to show us diesel fuel as we too burn diesel. But I may be wrong... I have been wrong once before (decades ago in my youth) :D

momdoc

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I tow 40' between truck & TT and only twice in 18 yrs where I had to back out of a gas station because of lack of space. both times I didn't fill and found different stations. I guess I would like the best of both worlds, accessible & location.

We don't have Garmin, we use our google GPS and will use AAA maps also. We still don't RV frequently enough as we still have some years to retirement so for now we use whats on hand.

I did down load the Gas Buddy app as NYDutch suggested and maybe later look into Trucker Path app if the need presents it's self.

Mike

13. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Our key to not getting into a bad situation is not being afraid to abort going into a station if it looks in the least bit too tight. We both look as we approach and if either of us is uncomfortable, we just go on to the next one. We try to fill up when get to about 3/8 of a tank left. If I pay an extra 3 cents on 45 gallons, not a big deal compared to having to unhook the toad and back out or worse.

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hey Florida Native, I haven't seen you on the forum for awhile, and I just wanted to say it is nice to hear from you.

15. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. We have had a series of medical problems that has kept us from the RV, I just got out of rehab a few days ago. I spent 5 weeks in ICU and rehab in a medical accident, I had a heart catheterization. 5 days later, my femoral artery popped.. The personal at the ER didn't apply pressure, they did a blood work up CT scan and other stuff to find out what was wrong. My wife, a RN, kept telling them what it was, I was close to dying. I had 10 units of blood, After 3 days I started to wake up. The blood (i looked ;ile I was pregnant) I spent 3 weeks on rehab and recently came home. I will be hooked to a wound vac for another 10 weeks, That was a long answer to a short question.

16. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm so sorry to hear about all your medical problems and glad to hear you are doing better. You better give that sweet wife of yours a big hug and kiss for being there with you and recognizing what was happening. Take care of yourself so you can get back on the road soon.

Florida Native likes this.
  17. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Wow!. I'm glad the prognosis is positive. I hope the 10 weeks won't drag for you, Be careful when you up and about.

Darrell

18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Whew! What a misadventure, Lindsay! Hang in there, and get back in the RV as soon as your health permits...

19. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

The GasBuddy is a good app, though it has too many ads now.

20. ToSlow

ToSlow
    Expand Collapse

i grew up in Nova Scotia, and like was posted before, you will meet some of the nicest friendliest people in the world.

If i can suggest take the time and take in the culture,