Hello, from wherever I am parked - Central Florida, today

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Vicki R, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Vicki R

Vicki R
    Expand Collapse

Hi! I am a 70-year-old solo, full-time RVer, with a 32 ft fiver and 3/4 ton Dodge Ram diesel pickup. Been FT since 2000. I Workamp 6 months a year and travel the other 6. Looking forward to finding some great parks to stay at during my travel months.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to RVPR and the forum, Vicki! I'm sure your years of travel experience will be helpful to all, and I hope you find many new places to explore here. We're in central Florida as well, near Bushnell, but we'll be moving south near Sarasota in a week or so. We're in our fourth park of the seven Florida parks we'll visit this winter before drifting north again as spring warms things up. Again, Welcome!

Vicki R likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum Vicki. We've often wondered what full timing would be like but haven't quite gotten to that point, although we've talked about it a few times. To follow the sun must be a great feeling and in many ways I envy you. Do you travel strictly solo or do you have a four legged friend along for the ride? Ours goes with us at all times and it wouldn't be the same without her, all 7 lbs of vicious, snarling Pit-Chi..........:D

Be sure to post some reviews of the parks you stay at so I can become even more envious. Travel safe and enjoy your freedom out there on the open roads.............

Regards, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

Vicki R likes this.
  4. Vicki R

Vicki R
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, NY Dutch. Are you a New Yorker? I Workamp in the foothills of the Catskills from mid-April to early November. Even at 70, it feels good to know that I have a position there as long as I want one. I'm winding up my Florida visit next week, heading for SW Michigan for a month to see family, before returning to New York. Love this lifestyle.

5. Vicki R

Vicki R
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the warm welcome, Terry. I inadvertently fell into this lifestyle after I became a RV transporter for 4 years and my marriage fell apart. Transporting RVs (towables with my one-ton pickup truck), took me throughout all 48 Continental US states and I knew I had to return and spend more time getting to know this wonderful country. Yes, I am solo. I had a travel companion for 6 years who passed away in early 2011. We had some great journeys together and and started Workamping in 2005. No pets. I love them, but between major pet allergies and my personal lifestyle, it wouldn't be fair for a furbaby as I feel they deserve as much love and attention as any family member. When I work I am away from home for 12 or more hours a day, and on my days off I am out and about with my cameras or creating digital scrapbook kits which I give away for challenge bonuses each month.

Love this lifestyle and the freedom it gives me - and my children and grands love hearing of my travels when I visit (my daughter has a 30 amp plug for me when I go her way. I get to stay in my own home and they don't feel that they have to entertain me, so it's win-win!)

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yes, my wife and I still keep our domicile in NY near where I was raised. We have a small lakeside cottage in the southern Adirondacks there with a full hookup RV site next to it. Most of the time when we're there we still live in the motorhome unless we're making repairs or remodeling something in it. Our two daughters, grandkids, and great granddaughter all live nearby, and it's always great to see everyone when we visit there. We're both in our 70's and we don't know how much longer we can keep this life style up, but we sure plan to enjoy the heck out of it while we can!

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome aboard Vicki!

When I'm 70 I hope to be still here and going strong like you! Your post is very inspiring!

I hope you continue to hang around here, looking forward to hearing all about your experiences!

Mike

Vicki R likes this.
  8. Vicki R

Vicki R
    Expand Collapse

I have a 30 amp hookup at my daughter's in SW Michigan when I visit family there. I love being able to stay in my own house on wheel. Times with family are special to me - as they obviously are to both of you. My grandson is hoping I'll stay all winter next year. My boss in the Catskills says I have a job there as long as I want it - can't beat that!

9. Vicki R

Vicki R
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Mike. Don't know about being an inspiration, but for me, this is the perfect lifestyle. When I'm en route to a destination in a short time frame, I often overnight at rest areas or truck stops. At those times I prefer to drive through the night when the traffic is lighter - especially going through major cities! I'm addicted to unabridged audio books and try to grab one that lasts about the estimated duration of my trip.