RV Propane Safety

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DR Dave, Mar 10, 2017.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Some of the meals we fix in our coach would be difficult to do with a combined oven and microwave. We sometimes make hors d'oeuvre or side dishes up ahead of time and use the microwave to reheat them while the oven and burners are busy cooking the main course. When not in use for cooking, we use the oven as a breadbox.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That's one reason we have the Breviile countertop oven in addition. Plus, the microwave/convection oven doesn't broil (and neither does a GE Advantium despite claims that it does) so having a broil/roast/toast capability without being forced to grill outside is nice on cold rainy days.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

That sounds good, Joel, although it is another item to take up limited counter space.

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We do a lot of boon docking. Our conventional gas oven is a lot quieter to use than having to run the generator. Like most things in life.....everyone has a personal preference and not all are alike.

Darrell

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We've been thinking about buying one of those induction counter top units which to me would be great for using in the hotter summer months. Using the propane burners throws off a lot of unwanted heat inside the coach. We do most of our cooking outdoors when the weather permits but there have been a few times when it's been 100 degrees outside and raining and that's when one of those units would come in real handy. I just might go check one out before we leave on this upcoming trip..... :D

BankShot............(aka Terry)

6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We use an induction burner for virtually all of our "stovetop" cooking and have been for all six years we've been full-timing. My recommendation is to do your homework and get one that can truly provide very low heating rates--many of the cheap ones cannot. Lots of people focus on how quickly they can boil water; if that's all you care about then pretty much any of them will work for you.

We had to replace our old one last year; it had been used quite heavily. After much research, we came up with a modest priced one that has 20 heating levels and can get down to ~100 watts of power. It works so well that I can melt dark chocolate slowly without scorching it. That isn't easy.

Here's the one we bought; I'm sure there are others that will work as well. But the price was right on this one and it does the job very competently. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLR0ET8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joel, will check this one out before buying anything. Your having one and using it as you have tells me it must be good one and on Amazon, the link you sent me, the price is lower than I thought one would be. Having the features you mention is also nice. We like dark chocolate also and melting it without burning/scorching it isn't easy over a flame and for some reason it doesn't taste as good when melted in a microwave.........................

All the best, Terry

8. 355spider

355spider
    Expand Collapse

My RV propane isn't even close to the pump when I put gas in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. jamesph

jamesph
    Expand Collapse

I installed MTI Industries 35-742-BL so any accidents can be prevented. Very pleased with this detector. We have never been mistakenly alerted in the middle of the night.