RV Park Social Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Phoenix Rover, Apr 18, 2017.

?

WHAT IS A PROPER TIME TO MEET& GREET FELLOW CAMPERS WHEN THEY APPEAR TO BE BUSY?

1. Hi, Goodbye, see ya' later

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. 5 minutes max

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 10 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Zero- They appear to be busy

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  5. Depends on mutual acceptance of both parties to chat

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Phoenix Rover

Phoenix Rover
    Expand Collapse

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Believe it or not we have suffered thru a similar experience only it was with a couple from a few space down that "just wanted to say hello" but their hello lasted for over half a hour and we were in the midst of fixing dinner. I finally had to tell them that we were trying to get dinner ready and could we continue this meeting possibly the next day. Took them another 10 minutes to tell us how much they enjoyed meeting us before they finally left. The next day never happened as we left early and never saw them again. In your case the old fellow was obviously lonely for company and you just happened to get in his cross-hairs when he decided to unload on you. It's tough because you don't want to be rude or seem unfriendly but sometimes a firm "It was really nice chatting with you but we really have to have dinner now", or whatever good excuse you can come up from the hip, and then get yourself inside your RV and make sure to close the door behind you. And don't come out again until they are gone and out of sight. Some people simply have no social skills and being blunt is about the only way to shoo them off................. :confused:

Hope your next time away with your significant other turns out better for you...................

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

PS: By the way I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you both and have more rock stuff to show you next time we meet up on the road........................ :D

HappiestCamper likes this.
  3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Had one in Florida that kept running to our site every time he saw a bald eagle, wanting us to take a picture. Then he gave me his email address so I could send him the pictures. I did, but made a disposable address to send.

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Phoenix, I read your blog, and that experience sounded very uncomfortable. On the vote, I selected "depends on the mutual acceptance...". My reasoning is if the other camper had come over and wanted to discuss guitars, you might have come to an agreement to meet later after dinner, since the topic interests you.

I was at a company function at a campground, just talking to my wife and kids, when one of the other attendees came over and started talking about his gun collection. Now I fully respect people who want to carry, collect, and shoot firearms, but I really have no interest on the subject. He went on about how he had this gun, and that gun and was getting some other gun imported, and how it's "almost illegal". This went on for half an hour or more, and I had to make up an excuse to leave.
    If it had been a topic I was interested in (kit cars, camping, old busses), I might have been more engaged and continued the conversation longer.

Some people are clueless to the obvious hints that the listener has lost interest.

Chris G.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

After reading Phoenix Rover blog, I have to say we have never ever come close to encountering an experience like that. We have had conversations on some few occasions with fellow Rvers but it both mutual,so no problem.

We generally are introvert campers/Rvers, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thinking about this, my observation is most folks from our neck of the woods is probably the same.

Mike

Ellistea likes this.
  6. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Everyone I've met in parks have been interesting in one way or another. Some, I'm ready for them to move on down the road after a while, but I can't say I've ever met anyone truly obnoxious. I'm an extrovert, though, and love meeting folks from all over the country. We've made some good friends that way.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We just got back from a shorter than planned trip to Arizona for some cactus sitting time and at the second park we stayed at on our way there we had just sat down to enjoy an evening glass of wine when out of nowhere a guy comes into our site and without so much as introducing himself he immediately asked us how we liked our Class A. At first I was a tad put off by this but then realized he was not such a bad guy and was simply wanting to get some ideas and info due to him and his wife contemplating a change over from a 5ver they were towing. We ended up spending about a half hour discussing the pros and cons of each type and in the end he thanked us and moved on down the aisle to find his next victims. By the time the discussion ended it was almost totally dark and we had missed the sunset we were hoping to sip our wine with but hey, we met another RVer and were able to share some good time with him. So all ended well. I guess it all depends on the person and the topic being discussed that determines the reaction to them simply walking up becoming part of our wine sipping time............. :cool:

BankShot...................(aka Terry)

8. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Luvtheroad. Recently on a camping trip I was sitting by the fire pit in our campsite making fire starter material (I'm a beginner whittler/wood carver). Soon a neighbor came walking into our campsite with his chair, a gnarly piece of wood and a tackle box full of carving tools. We had a great visit!
    In the above instance, we were camping in a rustic campground with no electricity or even cell service so I wonder if the limited distractions made us more social. However, we are Oregonians and except for in the big cities it is common for us to smile, nod or say "hi" to pretty much everyone we meet.

RickB

9. Monica998

Monica998
    Expand Collapse

Actually I chose the answer: Depends on mutual acceptance of both parties to chat. Why? Because the situation is quite different depends on the people's character and personality. When in a good condition, everyone do not need the help from the others until they have the free time to do somethings together, such as, swimming, playing the table tennis or Golf; while when in bad condition, such as, be lack of the electricity, WiFi etc., I think the people will turn to help to others and try to communicate with each other easily. Sometimes it also depends on the mood.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

In case you didn't notice, you responded to a thread that is nearly a year and a half old. You may not get any responses to your post.