Birds attacking my travel trailer

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Apr 22, 2017.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Maybe this could be a scene from Alfred Hitchcock The Birds. We live on a mostly flat parcel of land. Within the past 5 yrs the Robin population has exploded around our house, to the point where I have seen 20 to 40 of them on our property. The males are constantly fighting each other, sometimes 4 birds at a time. Our house windows they are constantly flying into seeing their reflection. Now they are attacking my diamond plate on my Travel Trailer!! Bird S*** all over the place!

I think we need to get a good cat to solve this problem!

Mike

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Cats won't help. We have 3 that sleep on the motorhome dashboard when we are parked. At a park a few years ago we were put in a site that had a tree. Unfortunately two mockingbirds had a nest in that tree, and as soon as the birds spotted our cats, they started flying into the windshield to attack them. They kept hitting the glass so hard we were afraid the birds would hurt themselves so we closed the windshield curtains and even the side window shades so that the cats were no longer visible to the birds. After that the birds calmed down. Course it would probably make a big difference in your situation if the cats were on the outside of the RV.

#2 Texasrvers, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Wildfire likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - Just ran across this thread..................

You might want to consider buying one of those animated battery powered life-like owls. I've seen them sold in nurseries and even some of the big box stores. Have a couple of friends that use them around their homes and they work. We have a woodpecker problem where I live and I have one along with some dangling, sun reflecting "eyeballs" that help keep them at bay. But I also have a fully auto BB rifle that I use to scare them when they get too close. That of course wouldn't work in an RV park or campground..... :eek: Check out one of those owls however, just keep some batteries on hand as it uses them up faster than you think it would. They also have them that make a screeching sound but the neighbors might not enjoy listening to that in the evenings..............

Good luck with this, Bankshot.............(aka Terry)

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry I'll have to check into that. We have tried pulling the blinds and some other stuff to no avail.

Texasrvers, All the cats we have owned in the past (with the exception of one) would not know what a kill was unless it was in their food dish. LOL

Now the one exception was a small female indoor/outdoor cat we had for 12 years. We got the cat as a small kitten and on the very FIRST night we let the cat stay out overnight we were greeted with TWO dead birds on our door step. This cat turned out to be killing machine...never did we have trouble with rodents or anything while we had this cat.

I can not help but think if we still had this cat our bird situation would at least be improved.

Mike

Wildfire likes this.
  5. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Many vineyards in California use shiny streamers on the vines to keep the birds away. Maybe this would work
    momdoc

mdcamping likes this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

The one I have at the house is just a simple life-like plastic owl and I have to keep moving it around so the peckerwoods think it's real. If I don't they won't pay any attention to it after a while. I am going to buy the motorized version that moves its head back and forth at various speeds and angles ,etc. as it's he movement that scares the birds and also any noises nearby where they are landing. If you do get one, let us know if it stops them from attacking your both your house and trailer. If you have some way of mounting it on the highest peak of the house in full view from all sides, that will work from all directions to keep them at bay, or at least it should. If that and all else fails I'd say it's time to stoke the old shotgun with #8 shot.................. :D

Regards, Terry

Wildfire likes this.
  7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yeah we have used them where I work to keep away the pigeons, unfortunately they don't work here either.

I like the idea of movement, some shiny streamers as momdoc suggested may be a cheap solution to the problem

Mike

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It really is the motion that frightens them away. I have a dozen small bright yellow and red "eyeballs" that dangle from the roof of the house. They are made from a brightly polished metal that reflects big time when the sun hit them. The also twirl around in even the slightest breeze. I have a friend that has used them on his house for years and after he put them up the peckerwoods never did come back to his place and now hang out at other homes on his street. I am still going to get one of those electric moving owls however as some added insurance. We have peckerwoods (my name for them) as well as those giant "Flickers" that really do some damage to a wood sided house. Had one years ago the pecked a baseball size hole in the upper area just under the overhang. I finally took him out with a .22 loaded with snake shot. I hid out in behind a bush and waited for him to land and when he did, down he came................. :eek:

Terry

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

[​IMG]
    lets see what happens. set up a bunch of them around our house windows too

Mike

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - Just a quick update. Ever since I had those "dingly-dangly" reflecting eyeballs hung around the house I have had a single woodpecker come in for a landing and some pecking. I've watched a few make flybys but they just don't land anymore so it seems this little gadgets are actually working and keeping them at bay. Hope they work out for you on both the RV and the house...............

Regards, Terry.................(aka BankShot)

mdcamping likes this.