Towing through Los Angeles Metro Area

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Traveling man, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking at a possible Southern California trip this fall and want to spend some time in San Diego area, as I graduated from college there. Afterwards I have a number of places to visit that are quite a ways North of the Los Angeles metro area. I have no plans to stop in LA area, and do not look forward to driving through. I don't mind rural or mountain driving, but as silly as it might sound to those who are comfortable with it, am not fond of towing in major metro areas. I normally plan my trips so I am not going through such areas during weekday commute times. Is anyone familiar with the area who might have suggestions on the best routing, times, days to minimize traffic. The traffic was horrible in the 70s so am sure it's much worse now. Unlike so many major population areas that have a freeway that skirts the outside, the only way to bypass it would seem to be through Riverside, and the San Gabriel Mountains. Time is not an issue. Should I just bite the bullet, or is there a best RV route through the area.

Medic73 and Dave from RI like this.
  2. Dave from RI

Dave from RI
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to see there were no responses to your post. Did you make the trip and, if so, do you have any tips?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Medic73 likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Traveling man - Also sorry you received no responses to your post from last June. It completely went by me also as we were on the road at that time and I don't follow along on the forum while traveling. Had I seen it I would have been more than happy to give you some pointers on getting in and out of the LA area as I grew up and lived much of my life there. At present I'm sure you have already found out that there are only three basic ways in and out of the area when traveling from north to south and vice versa. Hwy 101 on the west side is certainly the most scenic route but you have to get on it by traversing several other major freeways that connect to it. In the middle is I-5 that leaves LA via the infamous "Grapevine" heading towards Bakersfield and points north. Lots of heavy truck traffic on that one and a steep grade to climb also. To the east you have the Cajon Pass that is I-15 heading to Las Vegas. Coming from the San Diego area as you stated I am thinking you probably took either I-15 or 215 north and got out that way. The Cajon Pass is not as bad as the old Grapevine but it too has truck traffic and climbs a fairly steep grade also. Hwy 395 comes off it and heads north to what is referred to a Kramer's Junction (four corners) and you could have picked up Hwy 58 there and headed west over thru the Tehachapis to Bakersfield and connect up there with Hwy 99 or I-5 heading north. Again sorry we missed you post, hope you did get out unscathed and had a safe and enjoyable trip. LA is not my favorite area to drive thru and we usually use the Cajon Pass route when our travels from No. Calif. take us south to San Diego to visit family...................

Regards, BankShot................(aka Terry)

Medic73 likes this.