"A Safe & Happy Memorial Day Holiday To All"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, May 26, 2017.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just wanted to wish everyone on the forum a very happy and safe Memorial Day holiday weekend. Travel safe wherever your travels take you and watch our for the "crazies" that are sure to be out there on the highways and byways.................

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

And the same to you.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, as Tex said, "the same back to you". We're staying put at our little get away cottage in the Adirondacks for the weekend. One of our daughters is staying in the cottage while her house gets a new heating system, and we're in the motorhome as usual. We're hoping for a nice quiet weekend to reflect on those of us that paid the ultimate price while defending our country.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We are staying put also as we just returned last week from a trip to AZ. We don't care to be out and about mixing it up with the crazies that seemingly have no concern for how fast a Class A motorhome cannot stop when they pull over right in front of you with no warning or signal, etc. Best to let them fight it out amongst themselves. Could relate a couple of "instances" we had on this last trip but won't as I know everyone on this forum has at one time or another had the same experiences. Suffice to say, those crazies seem to be increasing in numbers and that is scary to say the least. So home we will stay. And in saying that just know that the margaritas will still flow freely as the steaks do their thing on the grill............ :D

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We are staying put too. Even though the mountains are calling to us to go camping, this weekend is just too busy. I'll spend some time this weekend getting the coach ready for a camping trip in a couple of weeks.

6. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Same to you!

We camped just Saturday night, at a winery close to home, so not too many crazies to deal with out on the roads.

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Camping at a winery near you..........that could catch on. Many years ago we stayed at a park that was next to a small winery. We could watch the very large crates of grapes go into a crusher. The aroma was amazing. I am in the Okanagan right now. Vineyards all over but none with an RV Park. Someone needs to take note!

Darrell

8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys - Come and visit No. Calif. We have lots of wineries with RV parks and campgrounds in very close proximity to where you can actually crawl back to your RV after an afternoon of sipping wine samples................ :D

Sip and crawl responsibly, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Been to Napa and Sonoma a number of times. We last stayed at the Napa Valley Expo RV Park. We liked it a lot but.....we still had to drive a ways to get some of that mighty fine wine. It was a lot closer than Vallejo which is where we stayed before. We expect to be down that way again next year. I'll have to do some investigating. Thanks for the heads up.

Darrell

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Darrell - I ran across this website a while a back. https://harvesthosts.com/ We aren't members nor do I know anything more about it than what the website says but it may be of interest to you for your next trip down this way. When you do take the coach south next year to the wine fields of No. Calif., if you need me to do some checking on any given parks or find info on something for you by all means shoot me a PM and I'll get on it. This is my back yard so to speak and I know most of the areas pretty well. Some of the "back roads" are the best to drive and can keep you off the busy interstates, etc. Just be sure to bring your extra large flex straws with you as you can suck up a lot more wine way faster using them than you can with the skinny little ones they give you at the wineries.................. :D

Regards, Terry

PS: One of these days we're going to get around to bringing "the Beast" up your way and take the ferry across from either Port Angeles or Tsawwassen to Victoria and spend a few days exploring your island. Last time I checked the B.C. ferries rates I almost fell over when I calculated the round trip fare to float the coach...........:eek: I didn't note any charges for 7 lb. Chihuahuas but I imagine if they found out she was aboard they'd find a way to make her pay for the ride also.........

11. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You should check out if BC Ferries has any savings program when you want to come up here. There is one starting soon for the summer. It might make a big difference for your size of rig.

http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/size-up-the-savings.html

12. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

It can get a little pricey depending on how often you need to go to the mainland and as Onemoretrail mentioned, there are days and times when you can get here cheaper. But we call it "the cost of living in one of the most beautiful places on earth". Our favorite crossing (when heading south) is via Washington State Ferries. Leaving from Sidney B.C and arriving at Anacortes Washington. The trip is a little longer than from Swarts Bay to Tsawwassen (about 2 hours as opposed to 1 1/2) but you save a pile of travel time and you don't have to fight Vancouver traffic. It's also a lot more scenic as the ferry winds it's way through the San Juan islands. The WSF is not as glamorous as the BC system. No restaurants or lounges and smaller boats but the Border Crossings are easier and more friendly.

Thanks for the offer of looking into your local RV Parks and I can do the same for you (or anyone heading to Vancouver Island) should you decide to head north.

Darrell

13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We might just take the WSF from Port Angeles to Victoria and back, the one we took back in '07 in the truck. Will check into their pricing also before we make any decisions. Thanks for the offer on your end, will get back with you when we do decide to pay the island a viist.................

Regards, Terry

14. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

We are members, which is how we found our way to a winery last weekend. Have been to a number of them and it has worked very well for us, even to get out for one night close to home. There are a bunch of host wineries in California, but none near Napa.

15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info Cyclonic. I noticed from the map that there is a host winery in the B C Okanagan and, we were actually staying in an Agri-Tourism park in Kelowna (Orchard Hill RV Park) when I first responded to this thread. I haven't posted a review of the park yet but I can say I was very pleased and will be looking for this type of park more often thus, perhaps joining the club.

Darrell

16. Horence

Horence
    Expand Collapse

After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you so much.