Queensland Mount Barney Weekend Campout June 2017

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jason Goodwin, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So our daughter had a weekend at Mt Barney with her Girl Guides group. We decided to tag along, do some 4wding, have a fire, test out a new swag and our recently purchased Caravan Annex. Trip report with plenty of photos to follow.

2. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

As our daughter had a weekend at Queensland Australias Mount Barney Lodge for girl guides we thought we would also head down to test drive a couple of items;
    1. New Annex bought of Gumtree......dramas to follow.......
    2. New double swag for the van less trips.
    IMG_2290.JPG
    Mt Barney is my favorite part of Queensland Australia, the fabulous Scenic Rim, around 2 hours drive from Bayside Brisbane where we live.

Its winter here guys so "Cold" for us Queenslander's. I also need to check and see if I need to explain what a "Swag" is. Thats my bed in front of the annex! Not used all the time testing it for the trips away with the lads when we dont need the big van.
    IMG_2260.JPG
    Interestingly the location we attended, Mount Barney Lodge, is also on the same road as 2 other locations;
    1. Bigriggen Park
    2. Flanagans Reserve
    IMG_2256.JPG
    All these venues offer bush camping with fires, hiking and water based activities albeit different between the 3 venues. I attended all 3 locations and will provide a review of all 3 with the caveat that we only stayed overnight at Mt Barney Lodge.

3. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

The venues sites are as follows;
    1. Mt Barney Lodge www.mtbarneylodge.com.au
    2. Bigriggin Park www.bigriggen.com.au
    3. Flanagans reserve www.flanaganreserve.com.au

The location is quite breathtaking with rough dirt road access. This is not a major issue just don't expect blacktop.

Situated at the base of Mt Barney this retreat provides non powered areas with old Queenslander homes camp sites and vans and trailers set up.
    IMG_2265.JPG
    Access is via a dirt road that actually passes both entries to the other locations. The view from some sites is amazing as you sit on a short cliff with your door opening to the sound of rapids and a view of the mountain.
    IMG_2288.jpg
    The logan river crosses all of these venues with everything from large river sections to small and large rapid . I reckon sitting in the small rapids would be pretty awesome for the kids in the warmer months.
    IMG_2286.jpg
    The view from the rapids to the sites.
    IMG_2279.jpg
    The sites are dotted with firepits to set up around. There are plenty of trees and shade with bench tables also provided.
    IMG_2283.jpg
    Only took a short time for the setup particularly with the new Kakadu (second hand) Annex and swag.
    Is there a bear in that swag........Grrrr....snarl....#sassy
    IMG_2250.JPG
    The owners are all extremely nice. Firewood can be purchased at most venues.

BankShot likes this.
  4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Another beautiful Aussie location, Jason! Thanks for sharing!

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

As always, I really enjoy your posts. Keep them coming.

Darrell

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I don't see any bear in that swag Jason but I do see one happy camper indeed. Great pics as usual, some of the absolute best on this forum IMHO. Be glad you aren't here on your tr[p now, we have temps in many of the desert areas of the southwest heading above 120 degrees F today and on thru the week ahead. That "bear in the swag" would be melting me thinks........... :eek:

All the best, BankShot................(aka Terry)

7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, Jason. Now that's what I call "winter" camping.

8. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Fabulous Pics Jason , makes me want to become a Aussie! :cool:

Mike

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - In order to become an honorary Aussie you have to take a test and answer these few initial questions correctly. There are more but they get progressively more difficult.........

1. What would you be doing if you are on walkabout?
    2. What's going on if you are crook?
    3. What's the word Bundy mean?
    4. If someone asks you how your Bird is, what would be your response?
    5. If you ate a Pie in Australia, what would it be, apple or blueberry? (Note: This might be a trick
    question so think before you answer)
    6. What's a Barramundi?

This will be fun to see what you come up with and I'm sure Jason going to get a big kick out of a few of your answers........... :D

Put on your thinking cap.............. Terry

mdcamping and Jason Goodwin like this.
  11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Okay I did this totally off the cuff, no Google searches!

Walkabout, This is when I get to a campground pay shower and realize I have no quarters in my pocket

Crook, That is how I feel when I get done setting up my camper and realize my site is no where nearly worth what I paid for

Bundy, Besides doing the camp cooking I also get stuck with all the clean up!

If someone asks you how your Bird is, what would be your response? What happened to my EZ up!

If you ate a Pie in Australia, what would it be, apple or blueberry? Appleberry!

What's a Barramundi? Open Beach Bar on a Monday

Mike :D :p

Rollin Ollens and BankShot like this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Mike - Jason is going to get a good laugh with your answers for sure. Only one you got "almost" right was number 2. The rest? Well let's just say don't hold your breath waiting for that honorary Aussie award to reach you. Hey Jason, how about it, do you want to tell him the answers or should I just go ahead. Might be better coming from you as he might think I'm yanking his chain. He did come up with a good answer on the "pie" question and was quite inventive also with his answer to the Barramundi one. Number one wasn't bad either for doing them off the cuff as he indicated. I should have asked him what Silver John Dory was but his answer would probably have something to do with bathroom or outhouse............:D

Good try Mike, close but no honorary Aussie award this time around, maybe next time.......

Regards to you both, Terry

mdcamping likes this.
  13. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm not going to answer the questions since I had an Aussie roommate for a couple of years in college that delighted in teaching me all things Austrailian, but I will say that I currently have a couple of Barramundi fillets in the freezer that we picked up at a store in Mystic, CT last week if that gives anyone a hint.

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes, Barramundi, a fish any Towey's drinker would love. However if you are a Boatrocker Ramjet Whisky Barrel Aged Imperial Stout aficionado me thinks a nice gently grilled filet of Silver John Dory would be mo betta................. :D

Eat hardy me mates, Terry................(aka BankShot)

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

You'll have to do better than the Silver John Dory to stump us, Terry. They're also native to the North American east coast... :p:D

16. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

17. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that should do it... ;)

18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Any of you"Yanks" out there aware that water circles clockwise when you flush a toilet or drain the sink in the land of Wombats and Funnel Web spiders? Saw one of those one time and let me tell you our Black Widow has nothing on that nasty arachnid. Reached my hand into a opening in the ground to get a rock and it almost bit me............... :eek: Had it got me I might not be here on this forum as we were quite a ways out in the bush in the Blue Mountains area. Australia also has some of the most venomous snakes including the inland Taipan), spiders, lizards, jelly fish, and the Stone Fish, one of the most venomous fishes in the world. Now then, if you add to those the salt water croc and that playful monitor lizard known as the Perentie, you really do have to be careful where you walk and swim down there at all times..............

There you be folks, a crash course in "Australian Critters To Be Wary Of 101"................

I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about some of them, especially the snakes. Old BankShot and snakes don't make for good hiking companions............ :rolleyes:

Terry.................(aka BankShot)

19. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Lot's of good info, Terry, but I'm afraid the toilet/sink swirl direction is more a function of the toilet/sink design and other forces than it is the direction to the equator. The Coriolis effect is just too weak to have any real world effect on flows that small. It isn't even strong enough to affect tornadoes or cyclones. Yet another old wives tale...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...equator-tornadoes-spin-in-opposite-direction/

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Good catch Dutch - I was wondering who it would be that jumped in and caught me on that one. Thought it would be Jason but I was wrong, seems Dutch knows he Aussie stuff pretty good. How about he be the one to get the honorary Aussie Award.........:rolleyes::D. Believe it or not I have watched a toilet or three flush in the opposite direction down there and originally did believe all that until a I got a crash course about the Coriolis effect, etc. As for the tornadoes and cyclones, you are correct on that one also. I can only imagine how Jason is taking this all in. No doubt he's kicked back out in a great camping site with his frosted mug of Boatrocker and laughing at all of us Yanks as there are probably a few more old wive's tales that only true Aussies are aware of..............:)

Terry................(aka BankShot)