Queensland Mount Barney Weekend Campout June 2017

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jason Goodwin, Jun 18, 2017.

1. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Well, there is the old wives tales about the ostrich sticking its head in the sand thinking it can't be seen by predators. The truth is, their small head in comparison to their large body can make it appear from a distance that they've stuck their head in the sand when they're simply eating seeds, etc., off the ground. They also dig holes in the sand to lay their eggs, and will stick their heads in the hole several times a day to turn the eggs. So basically, the whole tale is really just an optical illusion.

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, you don't suppose this ostrich thing is the reason why so many Aussies and Brits call their girlfriends, wives and misc. significant others, a "Bird" do you............. :rolleyes: Sorry Jason, Dutch made me say this by his comments.......... :D

Happy bird watching, BankShot............(aka "Joey")

3. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

You guys are bloody classic.......LOL

Here we go lads
    1. When you wander off possibly for days or weeks. Its an Aboriginal term. I go walkabout with my van as often as I can LOL
    2. Crook....sick as a dog, unwell ill......relates to the next
    3. Bundy is 2 things a Town in the great state of Queensland and a wonderful spirit known as Bundaberg Rum or Bundy
    4. If you ask me how my bird is......my wife is fine...use that term here and you are in a world of hurt...we have got a bit Politically Correct in this country unfortunately.
    5. There is only one type of pie lads....a meat pie......served with a scoop of mushy green peas and onion gravy
    6. A Barra (pronounced Bar-uh) is a Barramundi one of the nicest fish you will ever eat and a fighting fish when being caught. The best are the saltwater ones as the freshwater tend to be a bit "muddy" in their taste.

Hope that helps! give me a USA one I have been 4 times I back myself for it!

Try this then

1. where do I wear thongs
    2. Where am I going if I am "ducking down to the local for a couple"
    3. What is the meaning of the term "Bugga" or "Bugga me"
    4. What's a "Pollie"
    5. If I say "that's pretty flash" what do I mean
    6. What are R.M.'s
    7. What's a "cocky"
    8. What is "Doing the Lap"
    9. What is a "Mexican" in Australian terms
    10. What is "State of Origin"
    11. What's a "Monaro"
    12. If I said my dad owned a "Shaggin Waggin" when he was a young bloke what do I mean
    13. If I said "That blokes a tea leaf what do I mean"
    14. Whats a "Roo"
    15. Where am I going if I'm going to the "Top End"
    16. Insert the right word "He is as ___ as a cut snake"
    17. What is "The Rock"

@NYDutch @BC Wanderer @BankShot @Onemoretrail @mdcamping

Boys over too you........enjoy...see how you blokes go.

#23 Jason Goodwin, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    mdcamping likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Been a few years since I spoke the Aussie slang but I'll give it a go...............

1. At the beach or you are gay :D
    2. Going to the local pub for a couple of cold ones
    3. Well I'll be damned or a surprised exclamation
    4. Why a politician of course
    5. Flashy or showing off, or similar meanings
    6. I am guessing on this one, "Royal Magistrates"?
    7. Type of parrot or cockatoo
    8. I am guessing on this from memory but I believe it means taking a drive around town?
    9. A "Mexalian" :p - Someone who lives in another Aussie state or territory I believe?
    10. Where an Aussie is born
    11. That would be a Holden model
    12. That would be a 60s or 70s Van all tricked out with even a waterbed and lava lamps, etc.
    13. A gay caballero perhaps?:rolleyes:
    14. Easy one, a Kangaroo
    15. You'd be taking a long walkabout to the No. Territories
    16. He's as "Limp" as a cut snake? You got me on that one....... o_O
    17. Uluru, more commonly known as Ayers Rock (Big ass rock out in the middle of nowhere)

All my answers are from memory of my trips years ago and a couple really had me putting on my Akubra to come up with an answer.........

Good ones, brought back some great memories, Terry..........(aka BankShot)

#24 BankShot, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  5. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Not bad @BankShot Terry mate! no answers until the other blokes have had a shot at it.

6. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

By the way boys

Dutch @NYDutch
    Terry @BankShot
    Mike @mdcamping
    Darrel @BC Wanderer
    The trip is getting narrowed so this is the latest proposed itinerary;
    LAX
    Palm Springs overnighter to bust the jet lag
    Tuscon 5 nights Aircraft Boneyard, Pima, Toombstone
    Grand Canyon 2 nights in the canyon
    Las Vegas 5 nights
    Universal City 2 nights Universal Studios
    Drive to Anaheim via the Reagan Library and oceanfront drive
    Anaheim 7 nights Disneyland outlets etc
    LAX

Thoughts?

BankShot likes this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Your itinerary looks like a fun and interesting trip, Jason. I'm sure you'll have grand time!

I'll agree with most of Terry's answers, except:

8. My old roomie's family did the "Big Lap", when they drove around the complete perimeter of the country, mostly tent camping as they went.

9. A "Mexican" is anyone from Victoria in southern most Australia.

10. "State of Origin" is a hugely popular rugby series between Queensland and NSW, but I don't recall the team names. The name comes from where the players first played rugby, I think?

13. A "tea leaf" is a thief. (They sort of rhyme)

16. "He is as crazy as a cut snake!"

8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Jason, I think you and your troop will love it. You have a bit of everything there and a much easier drive. Enjoy.

Darrell

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Looks like you've put together a great trip Jason with no backtracking that I can see. I might suggest one thing and that is only if you can possibly take one day when you are in AZ doing Tuscon and the Grand Canyon. The "other big hole" in AZ is Meteor Crater east of Winslow and just south off of Hwy 40. Like your Uluru, pictures don't do it justice as it is one gigantic hole in the earth that has to been seen in person to be believed. Other than that you could swing thru Meadow Vista up here in No. Californian and I'll pop open a fine craft beer for you and anyone with you that is allowed to indulge. . . . . . .:D

All the best to you mate, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

"A Barra (pronounced Bar-uh) is a Barramundi one of the nicest fish you will ever eat and a fighting fish when being caught. The best are the saltwater ones as the freshwater tend to be a bit "muddy" in their taste."

As far as fighting fish pound for pound, I will say this I will put up our East Coast Blue fish any day vs your Aussie Barramundi :cool:

As far as the better eating fish, your Barramundi will win hands down

I'm folding my cards, I'm just not as traveled as you folks. I need more time, hmmm maybe lots more time LOL

Mike

NYDutch, BankShot and Jason Goodwin like this.
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - I'd be willing to bet that you have traveled many more miles in your RV than I have in mine? We be "newbies" at this with just shy of 5 years under our belts but we are staying at it and venturing out whenever we can pull ourselves out of bed. I traveled a lot in my business career days and also floated around the big pond on the western side of the country for a few years in the Navy so between both I was able to see a lot of the world and hardly spent a dime of my own money doing so. I never really kept track of my air mileage but I would also venture a bet that in all my years of circumventing this old globe, I managed to get into the million mile club even tho I never claimed my award for doing so. Don't fold your cards just yet, take a shot at Jason's questionnaire, you might just surprise us at how much you do know about that fabulous land down under. Go ahead, we won't laugh if you come up with a few good funny ones............or will we.............. :rolleyes:

Keep on truckin', Terry...............(aka BankShot)

mdcamping, NYDutch and Jason Goodwin like this.
  12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We do hope to be more traveled in 5 or so years when were are both 60. This is when we "hope" to start transitioning into retirement. Now that said I don't like air travel so that will probably be at a minimal. I'm trying to squeeze another 5 yrs with my truck & TT so with us still working 40 and with my aging truck & TT the long extended trips will probably be few.

Around then our next RV will be more for the touring adventures.

Terry maybe I'll get the same motor home with pontoons that you have and travel down under and get those questions answered! LOL :D:p

Mike

Jason Goodwin and BankShot like this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Mike - Retirement will be here before you know it and then the adventures will really begin. It's so nice not to have to watch the clock and be on any kind of a schedule when you travel. If you reach a spot that you find you want to spend more than just one day, you do so and go from there. As to buying an RV with pontoons, I'd advise against it. Seems that sometimes when we are out on the high seas and the winds kick up the darn thing thinks it's a blimp and wants to start flying. We run helium in the pontoons and since we didn't bother to add wings and a tail, the steering can get a little scary.......:eek:

All the best, Terry................(aka BankShot)

mdcamping and Jason Goodwin like this.