Chrome Browser Hijack

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by USMCRET, Jun 25, 2017.

1. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

Just wanted to report that my iPad's Chrome browser gets hijacked nearly every time I visit RVPR. I get directed to a website that claims that my apple product just won a prize, yadda, yadda, yadda. It happens far less frequently on a couple of other sites, but this one is nearly 100% of the time.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

My first question is whether or not you have Chrome updated to the latest release. What you have related is a browser issue (especially since it's happening on other websites).

The second question is do you have Chrome's popup blocker activated? Go to Chrome/Settings/Content settings/Block popups

3. USMCRET

USMCRET
    Expand Collapse

Hi Joel. Thanks for the response. I have both of those items covered it appears. Strangely, the issue has not reoccurred in the past 12 hr or so.

4. TedandElle

TedandElle
    Expand Collapse

I'll add I'm experiencing the same on Chrome on my Android phone. To be clear, it's not a pop-up. One of the ads on the page causes a redirect to another site. Since pop-ups were already disabled (and it wasn't a pop-up anyway), I decided to disable javascript. That enabled me to view RVPR on my phone. As soon as I re-enabled javascript, I was once again re-directed to a different site claiming I'd won an iPhone.

I think the reason the problem doesn't always occur is the advertisements change every time the page is loaded. From my brief check, it looks like RVPR is using Google Adsense, and a quick search shows there are malicious Adsense advertisers whose ads redirect to other sites. It's against Google's TOS, and the sites are banned when discovered. However, it requires someone at RVPR to locate the problem ad and report it to Adsense. I've attached a screenshot showing one of the pages that auto-opened. As you can see, it's the only Chrome tab and is not a pop-up...it caused the RVPR page to redirect to this one.

Attached Files:

5. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the report and the screen shot. We report bad ads when we find them but any info you can supply about the url of the ad or advertiser is always helpful - the screen shot is awesome :)