Lakeside RV campground recommendations in upstate NY, New England or the Smokies

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by OWV, May 18, 2017.

1. OWV

OWV
    Expand Collapse

We are looking for suggested big rig friendly rv campgrounds located on lakes in upstate NY, New England or in the Great Smoky region of western NC/eastern TN. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
    OWV

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

My preferences in no particular order. All big rig friendly.

Pine Mountain RV Park in Pigeon Forge. Access to the preponderance of shows and attractions.

Outdoor Resorts in Gatlinburg. A few miles out of town. A back-in around the pond is a nice site. But I don't know a way to get to it excepting thru town. It's a tourist town, so that requires a bit of driving skill so as not to run over a tourist or parked car on the street. Gatlinburg has lots of shops and the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies.

The Dell in Sevierville, Tennessee. Small park very nice large sites and in the woods away from traffic. This one is motor home only. Or at least was when I visited.

If you're interested in Minor League baseball there is a team called the Smokies. Located on I-40 north of all three of the CG towns.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We stayed in a creek site at Creekwood Farm, in Waynesville, NC, about 10 years ago and really liked it. I'm not sure what it is like now, but it still gets good reviews. It was a good central location for the area's attractions.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

One of our favorite lakeside campgrounds in Upstate NY is Four Mile Creek State Park on Lake Ontario near Niagara Falls. Another that's not on a lake, but instead along the St Lawrence Seaway, is Robert Moses State Park near Massena, NY. Our favorite site there lets us watch ships entering and leaving the Eisenhower Lock right from our coach. Also on the St Lawrence is the 1000 Islands/Association Island KOA near Henderson, NY. All are big rig friendly, but the state parks are electric only sites, while the KOA has full hookups.

5. hopefulone

hopefulone
    Expand Collapse

Just got back from a trip to the Smokies. We stayed at Riverside RV Park and even though we had to drive a little to get into the Smokies, the park was so nice, we didn't mind. We had a site right next to the Pigeon Forge river, and in Sevierville, it is the neck of the river that is very slow and calm. Highly recommended.

6. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Best park hands down in the smokies is Anchor Down. It is new and right on Douglas Dam Lake.