Washington "loop" ?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Sharon and Gary, May 17, 2017.

1. Sharon and Gary

Sharon and Gary
    Expand Collapse

A year ago a couple mentioned a "loop" in Washington that was a "must do" for us new RVers. I wish I had paid more attention and asked more questions. I don't know if they were talking about the loop around the peninsula or the Cascade Loop. Is one more treacherous or more beautiful than the other? Narrow roads? High altitudes? Any suggestions? Experiences? Campground recommendations?

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have traveled the North Cascades highway from Sadro-Woolley to Omak a number of times. The scenery is beautiful. Just don't be in a hurry and use your engine as a brake when you can (there are some long hills).

Darrell

3. Scubadude62

Scubadude62
    Expand Collapse

The loop (in a clockwise direction), is get off I-5 in Burlington, head east on SR20 to Winthrop. In Winthrop, head south on US 97 to Wenatchee, then west on US 2 to Everett/I-5. From there, you can go north on I-5 back to Burlington (about 40 min) to complete the loop. Allow at least 8 hours just for the driving. http://cascadeloop.com/

4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have never completed the "loop" but have used the North Cascades as a via when traveling from the Coast to the interior and back. We love the drive. The roads are not bad. Use your mirrors...if you have slowed traffic too much, pull over and let people pass. (It's the law.) We like Pine Near RV Park in Winthrop. From there, a short walk thru an outdoor museum will lead you to the small town center. Farther east, a tour of the Grand Coulee Dam is nice and the Laser show in the evening was worth the look.

I recommend the trip.

Darrell

5. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

I'm in Sequim, in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. The banana belt of Washington state. One can RV year round here. I do. The annual Lavender Festival just ended. The weather here this summer is awesome. Thanks for giving the Olympic Peninsula the cold shoulder. :p