TengoInternet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fredcrowley, Mar 6, 2017.

1. fredcrowley

fredcrowley
    Expand Collapse

We are full-time RVers. Unfortunately TengoInternet is used by a number of RV parks. Wherever we encounter TengoInternet, we know that the internet service will very unreliable. Service outages ranges from hours to multiple days.

Of all the parks we visit, and talking with other RVers, this is the number one complaint - "lousy unreliable service from TengoInternet".

I understand that they are a real low budget operation, and really don't seem to care about their level of service as long as the bill is paid.

In talking with other RVers throughout the US, and reading reviews, this is very common complaint against Tengo.

We never encounter internet service problems when an RV park/resort subscribes to a different service provider

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Apparently you haven't visited a lot of non-Tengo parks in your travels. While I do agree that parks with Tengo often do have reliability and bandwidth issues, the same applies to at least 90% of the non-Tengo parks we've visited in the past 10 years of near full time RV'ing. The biggest problem most parks have is the lack of affordable bandwidth to support the many guests trying to stream video, etc, with multiple devices. We decided long ago that the only way we could have nearly consistently reliable Internet was to supply our own cell based service. With the current unlimited and high data cap plans available at reasonable costs, that option is even more attractive. We currently have plans with both Verizon and AT&T to feed our nine data using devices, plus a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV booster/repeater that helps insure we get good signal levels everywhere we go.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect this is a bum rap that is endlessly repeated on RV forums. It;s my understanding that for quite some time Tengonet did itself a disservice by not requiring that park owners purchase a specific level of "backhaul" support for the wifi equipment that Tengo was installing at their parks. This often resulted in owners paying for excellent park wfi which was connected to woefully inadequate internet service.

Tengonet has, I believe, totally changed the way it does business and, in the future, this should be a problem at fewer and fewer parks using the Tengonet name,

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  4. franklyn4

franklyn4
    Expand Collapse

Tengonet doesn't have the best connection, though not the worst either. imho

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I am on a tengonet connection right now. It is slow and intermittent. I do not think they have solved the problem. There are about 20 RVs in the campground right now and it holds over 100.

RVNick71 likes this.
  6. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I used to be a harsh critic of TengoInternet until I learned more about them. I happen to have a personal connection with TengoInternet through another affilliation and through this link I have learned about Tengos business model.

Tengo designs wifi systems for RV parks, but, in the past, didn't insist that park owners obtain adequate backhaul capability. As a result, Tengo gets a serious blackeye from dissatisfied customers. However, the poor performance of many CG systems isn't due to the Tengo portion.

It's my understanding that Tengo no longer does business in this manner but the damage to its reputation will take years to undo.

7. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Sadly, I do not think it will ever get undone. In fact when I see a park has Tengo, I will avoid it and still do.

RVNick71 likes this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Since we no longer use park WiFi for anything other than curiosity to see how bad it is, Tengo or not has no bearing on our park selections. Our current cell data services have always been superior to a park's offerings regardless of who their equipment or service provider is.

Wildfire likes this.
  9. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but we were at a rv park a couple of weeks ago, and came across Tengo for the first time. The host gave me a tengo website and an access code, but neither seemed to work.

I don't have the instructions, but it seemed the access code was supposed to work for a week or so at no cost. Never could log in.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That was something you could have investigated while you were at that park. It would be difficult to explain what the problem was due to without a lot more information.

11. Cooter

Cooter
    Expand Collapse

I've visited three parks that use Tengo, at best I would describe it as flaky. It would go a day or two with "can't load the page", "no internet connection" (although I was connected). or mostly nothing! It was however free since I had to get a 9 digit code everyday that let me use it for 2 hours. It actually worked for about 30 minutes on Skype one day with the usual delay with Hughes satellite. I would rate it 2 on a scale of 1 to 5.

RVNick71 likes this.
  12. AllanM

AllanM
    Expand Collapse

We have been having a lot of trouble lately with our Tengo internet service at Tampa East RV Resort in Tampa. We are on the $70 / month plan, and we are only getting about 1 MB download speed. We have contacted Tengo support several times. When we leave a message we don't get a callback. The issue has been escalated, but still has not been resolved. Today when we call, there is a message that no support people are available. Can someone help? Ticket # 585 576.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Campground Reviews has no affiliation with Tengo Internet, but maybe some of our members will have a suggestion as to who to contact to report the trouble you are having.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Tengo is a service that provides WiFi hardware and installation at RV parks and similar establishments. I believe the parks then pay some fee to use the system software for maintaining accounts, etc.

However, I think it is the park and not Tengo that is primarily responsible for the quality of service you receive. It's not all that uncommon to have slow download speeds on park WiFi; at lot depends on how "big" an internet connection the park pays to maintain. Have you spoken with others at the park to find out what speeds they are experiencing? I've been at plenty of parks where the speed is no better than 1Mbps.

15. PatLam

PatLam
    Expand Collapse

Every RV resort/park we have visited with Tentogointernet WiFi, it has never worked well and keeps dumping you off the internet making the connection virtually useless. Reported the problem but no improvements. My recommendation is to bring your own WiFi for reliable continuous service when you see the internet provider is Tentogointernet.

16. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

I think this explains a lot. I had always had very poor service from any Tengo installation until, last week when I camped at Rock Island State Park in Tennessee. The WiFi coverage, and internet speed, was extremely good; the best I've ever seen in a State park. The system was well designed but it was obviously not inexpensive. There were repeaters/nodes every 200-300 feet like the one pictured below. I was also astonished that it was free. There was only one advertisement I had to watch at the beginning of the service.

I hope Tengo has, in fact, changed their business model to require these type installations instead of letting the park pick the "low road".

PXL_20210505_122058693.jpg

GunNut37086 likes this.
  17. GunNut37086

GunNut37086
    Expand Collapse

I'm new to RV park camping, but having been in the IT field for a long time. So, I had no illusions that free RV park wi-fi would even be usable, let alone good. However, when I stayed at Rock Island I was amazed at how strong the wi-fi signal was and ever more impressed with the speed. I just don't think it's perfectly scalable for large parks because they pack a lot more campsites into the same size area and you wind up with too many users for the same size coverage area. You can repeat the signal more often to get a better coverage area, but I doubt they have the same size pipeline they'd need for 4X or 5X as many users, especially now that everyone walks around streaming videos on their phone every spare second of their lives.

18. FloridaPhill

FloridaPhill
    Expand Collapse

Is there any service like Tengo that you come across in your travels that is superior?

19. The Looks

The Looks
    Expand Collapse

Here it is April 2023, and Tengo Internet is still woefully inadequate. I understand the potential for backhaul throttling, but this is an issue with the WiFi installation itself. The WiFi signal is at best OK between our devices and the access point, which is only 50 feet away with a clear line of sight, and the access points continually disappear and disassociate, only to reappear again a minute later. The up/down speeds are less than .5 Mbps and the outages of varying length are a constant. If I have any Verizon signal at all I will avoid Tengo Internet from now on.

20. RVNick71

RVNick71
    Expand Collapse

When any internet provider has zero customer support or reimbursement for their services then they're not worth doing business with.

I used Tengo the 1st time and it is spotty at best and I paid for the "premium" service.

All I can say, is get a mobile Hotspot because Tengo cannot be relied on for daily use.

I paid for 30 days of internet but have only had usable service for about 3 days of the last 10.

Today it won't even connect or load a web page on my laptop.

Just say NO to Tengo.