Surge Protecters

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jmcf46, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

We have one. On our second one. The first one lasted eleven years. Just won't turn on one day when hooking up. Was glad we were in an area that we could go pick up another one. Won't want to be without it. Have had the first one kick out several times at campgrounds of the years of having it.

Florida Native likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just a short followup post on this. Our first TRC unit stopped working after it had been thru a fairly good two day rain at a park we were staying at. I didn't think to cover it up as it was supposedly okay to operate in the rain as long as it wasn't laying horizontal in a puddle, etc. Called TRC in Florida and told them what had happened and the first thing they asked was how old was the unit. I told them it was right at 14 months, two months out of warranty. Bottom line, TRC told me that they would honor the warranty and to just sent the unit back to them and they'd send us a new one. I did, they did, and I was very pleased with their customer service and the way they stood behind the product. The gal said the the unit should have not gone south in the rain as long as it was vertical on the post, which of course it was, and that the only reason they wanted me to send it back was to check it out to find out where the water had gotten into it in case they needed to further "waterproof" it, etc..................

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

3. 1texan

1texan
    Expand Collapse

I installed a Progressive Industry hard wired unit 5 years ago when I first bought by 5th wheel. I bought the remote display with it and mounted it just inside the door. First thing I do when I hook up the power is go check for faults. I wouldn't be without it. I has kicked out on an open ground, couple times on low voltage, and once with a faulty breaker. It also has a lifetime, no questions warrantee.

4. Psi500

Psi500
    Expand Collapse

Progressive 50 amp hard wired surge protector was the first item I added to our new Motorhome.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I am way more concerned with low power then with surges in parks. In the New England area in fact we had just that problem. We had a rally in Foxboro MA and we had 32 Fortravels there in the section and we were all on 30 amp. The summer heated up and their power went down to 102 volts so most of us just disconnected and ran our generators till the rain came a few hours later and the heat broke. BTW we blew the main broker of the campground when we arrived. One thing we do now is make sure we are all idling our engines until we plug in. THat way the battery chargers do not switch to bulk charge but go to float instead. SO if you wonder why a bunch of big class a coaches are idling as we set up, there is an answer learned over years of issues

Wildfire likes this.
  6. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

We have just returned fro nearly five weeks across Canada and the US. During this time our PI HW50 amp EMS protect the rig from multiple low voltage faults at several CG's, an open ground fault at another and shut the power down after a lightning strike near our location in Spearfish, SD. All of our appliances still work perfectly fine so I am confident the EMS did what it is supposed to do. I would certainly never buy another RV and not have it installed.

7. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

My portable PI 50 amp protector did its job from brown outs in Cape Cod, Yankee Springs Michigan SP and visiting my SIL in Canada where her Conservation Area campground is old and over loaded power. I use it at home as protection from lighting storms while the rig is plugged in. Won't leave home without it!