The popup advert is starting to annoy me

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Gnome de Plume, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

When coming to this forum the pop up advertisement for the 'trip-advisor-who-must-not-be-named' is starting to annoy me. Not the website itself. The delivery method. Enough said.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Even though I am an admin of this website, I will offer the suggestion that an ad blocker will prevent the pop-up ad.

3. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume
    Expand Collapse

I'm running Ad Block Plus right now. I could add a popup blocker as well, but using blockers is becoming a diminishing return as more sites (like Forbes and Business Insider) test for the presence of blockers and deny access to content until it is turned off or you whitelist their website.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I don't know what device you are using to access this site, but I use Chrome as my browser with AdGuard on my laptops and Adblock on my Android phone. I also have Chrome on the laptops set to suppress pop-ups. The combination of stuff works well for me.

As for sites that won't permit ad blockers, AdGuard has an easily accessed switch which turns off protection on specific pages.