TINY map on main page

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Joy Aikman, May 23, 2017.

1. Joy Aikman

Joy Aikman
    Expand Collapse

I must be doing something incorrectly - I find that when I click on a state, the map, which to me is the most important part of the main page, is very small and difficult to maneuver.
    It's like trying to see through a small peephole in a fence.
    For example, I decide I want to drop down from Rawlins, Wyoming to the area near Buena Vista CO, in short hops, spending a couple days here and there. But I have to zoom in on BV, and then zoom out to see what's between there and Rawlins, and zoom back in, losing my place on the map in the meannwhile.
    When I click a state, I'm going to click on an area I want to find a place to camp in, and it seems unnecessarily difficult to do so. The map seems to comprise less than a tiny part of the entire webpage, (and less than half the page without scrolling). The lists of 'top-rated' and 'most popular' places occupy most space. I'd only be interested in those if I were randomly searching for places to visit.
    Perhaps the majority of people who use this website are just randomly searching for popular places and don't care where they are - I don't know! But Colorado is a good example of a state where I definitely want to plan carefully where I'm going to traverse those mountains.
    Am I doing something wrong?

#1 Joy Aikman, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Let's try to better understand what you are seeing. When I click on, Colorado, for example, I see the map that is shown in the attached screenshot. It clearly shows the entire state and several surrounding ones as well.

colorado.JPG
    If this isn't what you are seeing then the problem may be your browser or display settings.

Joel Weiss (AKA docj)

3. Joy Aikman

Joy Aikman
    Expand Collapse

Yayyy, a reply ! Thank you so much for replying... No I don't get that, I get a lot more .and it takes up too much page space. I can only zoom within that half-page at the top. It's awkward, to say the least.
    Here's a screenshot. Copy/paste this link:
    https://gyazo.com/c2915a6f044fdc5ac9a0e74bcfb07250

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I hate to tell you that when I click on your link I get exactly the same picture as with my link. I think the problem has to be in some setting on your computer.

And BTW, I posted an answer to your question 10 days ago.

5. Joy Aikman

Joy Aikman
    Expand Collapse

Yayyy, a reply ! Thank you so much for replying... No I don't get that, I get a lot more .and it takes up too much page space. I can only zoom within that half-page at the top. It's awkward, to say the least.
    Here's a screenshot. Copy/paste this link:
    https://gyazo.com/c2915a6f044fdc5ac9a0e74bcfb07250

6. Joy Aikman

Joy Aikman
    Expand Collapse

yes, I was just so happy that you answered - I had accidentally sent this to an email I rarely check. I meant no criticism. OK .. well, I dunno what to do about the browser setting. I guess I'm stuck.

7. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Have you tried another browser? Which one are you using now? I can say that it works fine with Chrome.

8. Redliteal

Redliteal
    Expand Collapse

I am having the same issue as mentioned in this post. When I drill down from the national map to a particular state, I cannot see the state. i use chrome as my browser and accessing via an IPad.

Dr. John likes this.
  9. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Since it appears to work properly for most users, it is, most likely, an issue with your settings. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

10. Dr. John

Dr. John
    Expand Collapse

I have the same problem as the post of Aug 17. The state maps do not display on my iPad Air 2. By "not display" I mean I only get a plain green background that doesn't respond to touching. This started happening months ago and I reported it through "Contact RVPR" and never got a response. This happens in both Safari and Chrome. There are no content or pop-up blockers turned on and no other settings seem related to this problem. It used to work and then it didn't. This situation makes the site very difficult to use on the road, where I only have an iPad.

#10 Dr. John, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem, and I will be sure to call it to someone's attention who can help you. However, I also checked with the Help Desk (where the Contact RVPR messages go), and they did not find where they had received a message from your username or email address concerning this problem. Is it possible you submitted it using a different name and email address? Otherwise, your message must have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This post, dated a month ago, was the first one in this thread to identify that the device being used was an iPad. At the time, I was on vacation and didn't have my iPad available. I have now verified that I cannot see the state maps on my iPad using either Chrome or Safari. I know that they used to be visible if the device was used in landscape mode; now they aren't displayed in either landscape or portrait mode.

This shows why it is so important to provide as much information as possible when you report a problem. I had responded that the maps displayed normally, which they do on a Windows pc. I have no idea as to whether or not the original post by Jay Aikman was in reference to a pc or an Apple device.

13. Dr. John

Dr. John
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure I reported this problem via "Contact RVPR", but I'll take the blame for waiting so long to bring it your attention in the forum. There are a lot of iPad users, so I wonder why only a couple of us have reported this problem. Hope you find a fix soon. BTW, my iPad has the latest IOS version (10.3.3).

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I can personally attest to the fact that the maps did display properly on iPads at one time (~a year or two ago). When the site migrated to the new software platform there was an initial problem with display of the maps on iPads. This was subsequently fixed. My supposition is that a subsequent update to the iPad operating systems caused the issue to surface again.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes, yee olde "regression bug." Fix a new bug, and an old bug reappears. Programmers nightmares are made of those... :(

16. EZgoin'

EZgoin'
    Expand Collapse

I also use iPad and do not see the state map when I click on it. I’ve been using iPad for at least 4-5 yrs and it used to work fine. I’m not sure exactly when the maps quit displaying, but it may have started at the IOS release. Us iPad users would certainly like to see this problem fixed.

17. NoVa RT

NoVa RT
    Expand Collapse

Almost all my computer usage is on my iPad, especially on the road, and I used the maps to explore new areas and plan potential trips. No more, unfortunately. I'm not really a computer person, so there's not much I can do at my end, but it'd be helpful if you could make the maps iPad friendly, or even advise if there is something users can do.

18. EZgoin'

EZgoin'
    Expand Collapse

Correction to my earlier post. I meant to say the problem may have started with the IOS 10 release.

19. EZgoin'

EZgoin'
    Expand Collapse

Still no update to correct this issue?????
    Is this even being discussed or evaluated?
    Why the lack of response to this issue?

20. Dr. John

Dr. John
    Expand Collapse

I first entered this thread on Oct. 28 to report no state maps on my iPad. I also don't understand why this hasn't been fixed. When I use RV Park Reviews to find RV parks to stay in on a trip, the first tool is the state map. Without this map I am lost. First I need to know a park's location, and if that's OK, I can read about it. Therefore RV Park Reviews is almost completely useless for this purpose on my iPad, which is all I have on a trip. At home I use my PC. I have the App on my iPad, but it's a poor substitute for the browser version. Given all the minor bugs that have been fixed, why hasn't this major one been fixed?