Editing Reviews

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Paul Goodspeed, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm not completely sure, and I don't want to guess. It would be helpful if you told us where you saw this.

2. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Mike, I agree with you on this and write my reviews in the same way. It also helps to use the word count for those 'more lengthy' reviews that I tend to write.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Jim Lee,

OK, I found the reviews you are referring to in your list of submitted reviews, and actually there were 3 that contained this message. I know one was the for Huckleberry BLM campground in Idaho, but do you recall the names of the other two? Is the one near Crescent City possibly the Shoreline RV Park? The only clue I have about the third review is that you indicated it was for a National Park campground and maybe was also near Crescent City or possibly the Grand Canyon.

As for why this message is on your reviews, I have no idea at this time, but I am looking into it.

4. cachencouple

cachencouple
    Expand Collapse

I would also like to be able to edit my review after I submitted it. I'm not sure what the problem is with allowing this, I'm talking about editing my reviews, NOT those from other people. This sounds like a 'normal' function to me...
    Cheers.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I think some of the problem would be at what point in time do you stop this function? When it's in the review query, 2 days online, 1 week online, 1 year online, at what point do you stop. I going to also guess there is legal issues when a review is put online regarding being able to do a simple edit vs a major rewrite and who is to determine the difference between the two? combine that with this site getting up to 300 reviews per day during peak season makes it not so simple.

Mike

6. cachencouple

cachencouple
    Expand Collapse

Well, I don't believe there should be any time limit. As long as there is an automated note added to the review/edit that the review was edited by "this person" at "this time" then anyone reading the review would know it had been changed.
    I'm not sure what you mean by legal issues. Perhaps you could expand on that idea? Also not sure about the problem with the number of reviews per day. I would think it's a good thing that this site gets used so much. I, for one, like it! :)

Regards,
    Gord

7. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Mike, that having the ability to edit your own reviews would be a bad idea. Unlike other sites that post reviews automatically, the reviews here are looked at by live people before they are posted. This maintains certain quality standards and watches for possible bogus reviews.

If an approved review later is edited by the user, then the quality standards might be compromised.

Now, if you have a particular review that needs more information added or corrected, I believe you could write to the admin Dept. (Contact us link at the bottom of the site), and I'm pretty sure they can accommodate your request to update the review.

Chris g.
    F3508s
    I

8. cachencouple

cachencouple
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget you must log in before you can post a review. I know people could create an account in order to post 'bogus' reviews but you would know at least which account posted the review and I'm not talking about changing the way reviews are initially screened by the admin dept. and posted, I'm only talking about editing reviews by the original poster. Perhaps a way around that would be to give the ability to edit reviews to only those people who have demonstrated their worthiness in some way... perhaps after posting "X" number of acceptable reviews???
    Having the ability to edit ones reviews would relieve the admin dept. of having to do it and would, IMHO, increase the accuracy and quality of the posts.

Gord

9. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

But after each and every review it would need to be re-approved by an Admin to ensure there had been no unacceptable material edited in to the review after it had been originally approved.

I think with several hundred reviews per day, plus photos, pus Q & A's, not to mention new locations that need to be created, etc., this could very easily stretch the Admin team and cause greater delays.

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

This is my thinking on this, having the ability to either add or remove language in reviews after it has been posted without any administration screening is risky in this day in age. It wouldn't be a problem for folks like you or me who are responsible but it's the 1% that might take advantage of this.
    My question would be where could the liability fall, gets very slippery.

Mike

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  11. MSSW

MSSW
    Expand Collapse

I agrer with having the ability to edit reviews. One website I frequent allows edits up to 24 hours after posting. Today I submitted a review for Chicot State Park near Ville Platte, LA. I would like to add that after driving through the South Loop CG, I would consider staying there despite the older bathrooms.

mdcamping likes this.
  12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If your edits are small, simple ones, you can contact the Help Desk (use the Contact link at the bottom of each page) and ask them to make the changes for you. And we always want our reviews to be accurate, so if the change involves editing incorrect information about the park, we will always be glad to make those changes.

13. MSSW

MSSW
    Expand Collapse

Well, I wouldn't say my review gave incorrect information about the park, just about my feelings. ;)

14. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I'm not a IT guy so I'm just throwing this out and please take it with a grain of salt, maybe software would have be implemented to do such a thing as post editing a review after it has been put on line, maybe not such a easy task, maybe even more difficult with the larger review sites. Another could be web site volume, website type, if its a small local site with just a few reviews per month yeah maybe something like that may work. :)

I am also a member of some smaller Rv sites that do reviews and I am aware of some posted reviews that have turned into disputes and worse....

Mike

#34 mdcamping, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Your reply leads me to believe that I did not explain myself very well. The changes you want to make do not have to involve incorrect information. It can certainly be just your feelings or something you want to add or delete. However, the changes for this type of information should be rather short--not more than a sentence or two. On the other hand if you submitted something that is incorrect (for instance, mentioning a pool when there isn't one), we hope you will always report this inaccuracy so that we can make the correction.

We have also discussed providing a period of time that a review can be edited by the reviewer after it is submitted, but before it is posted. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this procedure, but our website developers may decide to add this feature at sometime in the future.

16. MSSW

MSSW
    Expand Collapse

No, you explained quite well. I just think my edit isn't significant enough to bother (IMO). If I had posted wrong info though, I would take the steps to correct it.