USA West Coast Adventure November 2018 (take 2)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jason Goodwin, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have only been to Zion once and it was rainy. Do not go hiking in canyons around Zion when there is rain in the area. I can be very dangerous. Google Utah flash floods.

We stayed in Virgin and we really liked the park. You can search my reviews if you want the name. I just don't want to advertise it in the forum. It is on my bucket list to go back. No too far from Zion is Antelope Canyon http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/antelope_canyon/ . That too is on my bucket list. And again quite close is Moab Utah and Arches National Park https://www.nps.gov/arch/index.htm (Good hiking in Arches) and Dead Horse Point https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/ . FYI Moab is Jeep Town USA. You might want to go for an off road tour. https://www.viator.com/Moab-tours/4...MIlcO2_obq1QIVRbnACh1-Tg-JEAAYAiAAEgLrEPD_BwE You only have four days to spare. This area will probably take me four months to see.

I'm sure you and your family will enjoy the South West.

Darrell

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You picture a Cadillac Escalade and a Nissan Quest. The Escalade will be more luxurious and probably a lot more expensive than the Quest. You are seating 5 so the Cadillac will work though. Luggage capacity will be less. My choice would be the Quest. You will ride a little higher (get better views of the country side) have more room for luggage and it will be much easier to get in and out of (sliding doors). You will surely get better fuel economy too. FYI the Quest is classed as a "Mini Van" over here. You can get "Full Sized" Vans as well. Check out the Ford Transit http://www.ford.ca/trucks/transit-passenger-van-wagon/2017/models/transit-xlt/ Available in 8, 12 nd 15 passenger seating. Or the GMC Savana http://www.gmc.com/vans/savana-passenger-van.html.

I digress. My vote is for a Mini Van.

Darrell

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Jason - Looks like the "great adventure" is slowly coming together. Good that you are getting everything thought out and planned now as before you know it, you will all be here and starting out. Both Zion and Lake Powell are neat areas to visit. The Glen Canyon Dam at LP is a good sized dam and you can drive over a bridge and look right across at it. Some huge "power towers" there also. Lots to see all around the lake itself and the small town of Page is close by with many motels and eateries, etc. as a suggested place to hold up for a night. Zion of course is one of our very scenic national parks and hiking around that thru it can be breathtaking as well as very rewarding. As for the vehicle you will be renting for all this driving my nod would go to the Cadillac Escalade simply due to the fact that you and four others will be in a rental vehicle for all that time and "creature comforts" would be a really nice thing IMHO. The Quest is of course a more utility type vehicle and it sits lower but as Darrell noted, probably has a tad more visibility going for it, but not much I would think. Both are excellent choices but the Escalade will definitely cost you more money and if you are on a budget then I'd opt for the Quest and be done with it. Now then if you really want BIG there's always a Hummer II. Folks will definitely move out of your way when you're driving one of them. I don't know if you can still rent one however I am posting a private rental deal on one just in case......... ....https://turo.com/rentals/suvs/ca/los-angeles/hummer-h2/80118..... I am just yanking your chain here on this of course.............. :D

Keep us posted on how things are coming together and now that you have your band of RV brothers together, all is sure to go well. We wouldn't steer you wrong, that is unless you rent a Hummer... :p

All the best, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

4. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys great info from the Band of RV Brothers. The Escalade is actually in the mix @BankShot as we have a friend that knows the California boss of a big rental company so I am leaning towards the Escalade as it should cost us a similar price to the Quest. Great assistance for me to keep googling.

Guys I was thinking of adding 3 - 4 nights to the trip for this section plus a stay at Zion lodge
    http://www.zionlodge.com

Just after your thoughts on if that's enough time.

Trip now looks like this;
    LAX arrival (6am arrival)
    Palm Springs 1 night to wind down after the flight
    Tucson for 3 nights (Pima, Tombstone, Observatory etc)
    Grand Canyon for 3 nights
    Zion National Park 3 nights
    Las Vegas for 4 Nights
    Universal Studios 2 nights
    Disneyland (Via Reagan Museum) 5 nights
    LAX return to Oz (12midnight departure)

Over to you blokes & ladies....
    @BankShot @BC Wanderer @Fitzjohnfan @Onemoretrail @Hutch333id @TheCubanMama

5. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

On your way to the Grand Canyon, take the scenic route through Sedona.

Jason Goodwin and BankShot like this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely, as Onemoretrail suggested, do try and get thru the Sedona area if at all possible. Some of the most spectacular rock formations and colors you will see anywhere else on the planet. The town itself is full of galleries and places to eat and you would really enjoy spending a day there for sure.......

BankShot................(aka Terry)

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You are going to have a great trip no matter what. Enjoy.

Darrell

8. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

So all planned and paid for and the itinerary is as follows;

28th November - Arrive LAX at 7am and collect GMC Acadia at 9am.
    Travel to Palm Springs for an overnighter and decompress from the 13 hour flight
    29th November - Travel to Tucson Arizona (5 hours+)
    29th November to 2nd December Tuscon;
    Pima Air Museum
    Aircraft Boneyard
    Outlets
    Tombstone
    2nd December to 6th December Tuscon to Williams via Phoenix.
    Nil hotels booked looking at maybe Scottsdale and Sedona & Williams
    Possibly train to the canyon or just drive up there
    6th December to 10th December - Las Vegas
    Looking at the Excaliber to stay the 4 nights
    Obvious Las Vegas Stuff
    10th December to 17th December - Anaheim
    Disneyland
    Universal
    Reagan Library
    NFL Rams game (Hopefully)
    NBA Clippers or Lakers game (Kidding myself I reckon)
    Return to Aus on the 17th of December at 11:30pm with a wife and 3 happy but tired kids.

mdcamping, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a plan to me! Enjoy!!! :D

10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Glad to see the trip all coming together as it has. For your kids it will be a trip they will remember for the rest of their lives. As for mom and dad it will no doubt take the rest of their lives to recuperate from.......:D You've certainly packed a lot into three weeks and with something for everyone to enjoy. Get out your calendar and start marking off the days. You did notify Qantas that the Goodwins will be on board, didn't you.............???

Regards, Terry...............(aka BankShot)

11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Wow! Not restful trip but one that you will remember forever. I was in Tucson earlier this month. Was going to go visit the Boneyard until I discovered that you need to book at least 10 business days in advance (for security clearance) http://www.pimaair.org/tour-boneyard . I wasn't going to wait the 10 days but you have plenty of time to reserve.

We are hoping your trip goes without a hitch.

Darrell & Jerry

Darrell & Jerry

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sounds like a fun trip! :cool:

Mike

13. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

After your trip when you return to Aus, hope you and the wife are as happy as the kids. Looks like a great trip planned.

14. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all also going mountain biking in Sedona which will be awsome!

15. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wow, sounds like a really fun trip....Have a great time, enjoy and be safe.

Are we there yet?.................;)

16. jimandlisa

jimandlisa
    Expand Collapse

You're taking how many weeks to do this?

17. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Well its 4 months to go and we are pretty much finalised.
    Here is the plan and I have a few questions for people as to what they think.

Arrive LAX November 28th
    Drive to Universal Studios area - 2 Nights Colony Inn North Hollywood
    1 Full Day Universal Studios

Drive to Las Vegas - 4 Nights Desert Rose Resort (any thoughts on this?)

Drive to the Grand Canyon - Thinking Maswik Lodge (Any ideas?)
    Grand Canyon and Williams visit
    Wondering if we would be better to stay in Williams and commute up to the Canyon?

Drive to Sedona - 2 Nights (Green Tree Inn?) Again not sure on this one
    Mountain bike tour
    Pink Jeep tour

Drive to Scottsdale - 2 Nights (Comfort Suites Old Town?)
    Papago Park
    Old Town Scottsdale

Drive to Tuscon - 2 nights (Comfort Suites Tuscon Mall as it has 2 double beds and a Sofa bed for a family of 5?)
    Pima Air Museum
    Aircraft Boneyard
    Tombstone

Drive to Palm Springs - 1 Night (Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites)
    Any ideas just there for afternoon and evening and then on to Anaheim the next day?

Drive to Anaheim - 5 Nights (Clarion Hotel Anaheim)
    Disneyland

Return to Australia

Any thoughts regarding hotels attractions and where I can buy a pair of cowboy boots would be very much appreciated.

Rollin Ollens and NYDutch like this.
  18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'll let those more familiar with the areas comment on your itinerary, Jason. In the boot department, I'd suggest Tucson as the place to boot shop. There a large number of specialty boot shops there, including factory outlets. If you're buying boots for daily wear and won't be doing much if any riding, then I suggest getting boots with a "roper" rubber capped heel that's better for walking and traction. The traditional riding boot has a taller angled heel and smooth sole that's better for sliding in and out of western saddle stirrups. Riding boots look great, but they can be hard on your feet for extended walking. The smooth soles and heels are also terrible for traction when walking. Toe styles range from fairly sharply pointed, again for easy stirrup use, to more modern rounded toes for a non-riding work boot. If the boots are for display or "show off" of course, buy whatever strikes you as the best fit... :)

Jason Goodwin and Rollin Ollens like this.
  19. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well stated Dutch. You should also know that it takes a week or so of wearing them to "break them in".

Darrell

NYDutch likes this.
  20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You are going to see lots of desert but the scenery will change somewhat. There is different types of vegetation depending on altitude etc. I'm sure you will enjoy the trip.

Darrell and Jerry

NYDutch likes this.