Greetings from Arizona!

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Denny L, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Denny L

Denny L
    Expand Collapse

Just registered so trying to figure out my way around on the site. Planning to travel to Colorado soon, stationary now. We have a class A coach with a tow behind vehicle. We haven't been to the Durango, CO area for some years. Would appreciate any comments (RV Parks, Shopping, Restaurants, Activities) recommendations that anyone may have. Looking forward to your feedback.

Denny

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I can't help you with any Colorado info but, since it's on my bucket list of places to go, I'm looking forward to responses you will receive.....and welcome aboard.

Darrell

3. Denny L

Denny L
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the welcome. So far no info received but I'll pass along any that comes my way!

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

You may have already done this, but if not, check the RVPR park listings under Durango. Go to each detailed listing and check the list of most popular tips on the right hand side. That should help you with your search.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm no help with Colorado, but if you make it out to my neck of the woods hopefully I can offer you some advise! :cool:

Mike

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

It's been several years since we were in Durango and I've forgotten the names of a lot of restaurants and shops. I do remember that we stayed at United Campground of Durango and liked it, although at the time the showers needed some work. Maybe they've been upgraded by now. The train to Silverton goes by 4 times a day and is neat to see. We drove through Aplen Rose RV Park and the KOA and would have stayed at either of them, but be sure to read the reviews posted for them. Some RVers have not liked them. Our main reason for going to Durango was to take the train ride to Silverton. At that time we were there, you could go up and back on the train or take the bus one of the directions. We chose the train both ways, and if I had it to do over I would go up on the bus and take the train back. That is because most people did the opposite, so the train was packed on the way up and almost deserted on the way back (at least that's how it was when we went). With only a few people on the train you could move from side to side to get a better look at the scenery. By the way, the views are great on both sides of the train, but I noticed that my best pictures were taken on the east side so on the way up, try for a seat on the right side and on the return get a seat on the left side, but as I said we could move around on the trip back and sit anywhere we wanted. We had also heard we should pay more and get in an enclosed car because the engine smoke blows back on you and gets you "sooty" in the open cars. Silverton is a neat little town that really caters to tourists. Again I can't remember the names of shops and restaurants, but there were a lot. The train schedule allowed about 3 hours there (I think) and that was about all that was needed. If the train does not appeal to you, the drive to Silverton and on up to Ouray is spectacular. It is a good road but lots of steep grades and curves as you can imagine. We did not take our rig up this way, but I think you easily could. Finally about 35 mi. to the west of Durango is Mesa Verde National Park with numerous cliff dwellings. There is a campground in the park, but we did not stay there. There are also other private campgrounds in the area. Again check our listings for Mancos and Cortez. If you go as far as Cortez, you might consider going to the Four Corners area about 40 mi. southwest. This is the only place in the US were four states come together at one spot. This means you can stand in four states at one time. This is just a few of the things we enjoyed, but there is lots more to see and do in this area.

RickB likes this.