Brakes Grabbing

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by MelindaK, Sep 3, 2017.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know what causes the brakes to grab while towing? I am trying to figure out if it's the travel trailer or the truck. When I come up to a traffic light after braking I let off the brake and when I apply the brake pedal again I get a jerking motion. I have had this happen in stop and go traffic too. Could it be the ABS braking system on the truck? I have had the brakes checked on the trailer. The brake controller is set on 3. It does not happen all the time.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

The jerking you are feeling may be due to a caliper locking up. Had this happen to a friend of mine in his car and upon having it checked it was found that a front caliper was intermittently "catching" and not releasing properly so you may want to have a brake shop check this out first and then go from there. An easy fix if this turns out to be the problem. Good luck with this, it's no fun when you are towing and the brakes aren't doing their job...................

Regards, BankShot..................(aka Terry)

3. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Thanks BankShot....I will check into the caliper.

Melinda

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Have you had time to check into what the problem with the brakes grabbing? I'm curious as to what the cause was...............

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

5. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I had the brakes checked and the guy at the automotive shop said there is nothing wrong with my brakes. He thought it was in the connection between the truck and trailer. I bought some electronic contact cleaner. I have a trip coming up next week so we will see if that fixes the issue.

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hope the contact cleaning does the trick. Glad to hear it wasn't the brakes as a can of contact cleaner costs a lot less than repairs on brakes does. Let us know if this "fix" works.............

BankShot...............(aka Terry)