Columbus Day Weekend, whats your camping plans?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mdcamping, Sep 21, 2017.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We are planning a return trip to Lancaster PA. In the past we have always booked Old Mill Stream but this year we are going to change it up and stay at Flory's Cottages & Camping. Plan on meeting up with an old RV.net friend.

Been 2 yrs since we have to Lancaster and DW has a loooong shopping list! :eek: I have a feeling this trip is going to hurt thee old wallet!

Been busy this summer and trying to finish up house projects ...going to try to squeeze in one more trip but not to hopeful.

Anyone else have plans for the holiday? Sad to see the end of summer and camping season. :cool:

Mike

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - We just got back from from a great time up on the Oregon coast so we will no doubt be staying pretty close to our "in ground digs" over the Columbus Day holiday. We rarely get out on the roads over a holiday weekend anymore. Just too many "hostiles" out there with you in their sites, etc. In fact most of our trips start on a weekday and end on one, that way we avoid even the normal weekend traffic. Our next planned trip will be down to the San Diego area to be with family over the Thanksgiving holiday. This gives me some time to do a few things I want to with the coach so when we do leave all will be well. My co-pilot told me just today that before we make that next trip we need to so some serious cleaning and reorganizing. And of course being the nice guy I am, I agreed with her. Enjoy your trip to Flory's and sip a "whatever" for me if you just happen to think of me out here working my old butt off to please the co-pilot................. :D

All the best, Terry.....................(aka BankShot)

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Our "camping season" is year round since we live in our motorhome, but I expect we'll be boondocking on a restricted access corporate tree farm in upstate NY's Adirondack Park over the Columbus Day holiday. Since there are only 3 active permit holders left of the original 100 and the other 2 are hunters not campers, we expect it will be a very quiet stay.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We enjoyed out self's in Amish country, our site overlooked Amish farms, was very scenic and relaxing. They are known for their smorgasbords down there, I think I gained a few ponds. :D

Got to love our east coast traffic, Going to: 7 hrs, 2 gas stops. Going home: 9hrs 1 gas stop.... :mad:

Mike

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

As expected, we've had a very quiet and relaxing 5-day stay on the private tree farm in the Adirondacks. Today was pretty rainy though, as the remnants of Nate blew through. Tomorrow we're heading over to Pownal, VT to check out the fall colors for awhile before wandering back to our NY cottage to spend the holidays with our kids before we head south.

6. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Bit envious of all who are still camping this past weekend. Today was a day for winterizing the rig, so no more camping until spring.:(
    Anyways, I am thankful for the past year's camping. Thanksgiving Day up here in Canada and hope all who celebrated it had their fill of turkey. And happy Columbus Day to the rest of you.:)

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

So just to grasp how bad that traffic is.......how many miles to and from? Same route to and from? And is that just because of holiday traffic?

The east coast is on our bucket list. I just want to be prepared. :)

Darrell

8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I usually winterize our rig right after the Thanksgiving weekend too. This year I'm hoping it stays warm on the island until December. We head south for the first time this year leaving December 1st. I don't want to install AF and then have to flush it out again.

I hope everyone had a pleasant Columbus / Thanksgiving day.

Darrell

9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Darrell

We regularly make trips to Lancaster pa so we're very familiar with our rte which is about 300 miles. 7hrs is about the norm. This past Monday as you said we were dealing with the holiday traffic, but was componded by the hurricane remnants, accidents and the construction opening of new lanes on the newly built 4 billion dollar tapped z bridge. (I-287)

We always take the beltways around the major eastern cities. Most of the beltways in the northeast are over burdened and one accident usually means gridlock. Traffic flows somewhat better on the weekends and before and after commuter times.

This isn't the first time we have had delays. Which is mostly caused by accidents and construction but sometimes its just to much traffic.

Northern new england traffic is usually not a issue especially north of Massachusetts

Mike

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We found the hostiles were on the road, can't tell you how many times I was cut off in traffic!

Actually all our Columbus day trips have been very positive at the campgrounds
    Seem to have different folks and different attitude vs the other big 3 holidays.

Mike

11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info.

Darrell

12. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Just a few pounds? We camped up there twice in the last two months, once at Country Acres with a visit to Shady Maple for friends' birthdays (twins) and once at Old Mill Stream (our first time there) for a fun day at Dutch Wonderland with the family. This might be a case of the kinda site only I would love...

Attached Files:

mdcamping and RickB like this.
  13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Like the pic! Love OMS, just not getting in/out on busy rte 30 Took a drive through Country Acres, like the large sites especially in the newer back part. We would consider staying there.

We did breakfast at Shady Maple and dinner at Miller's Smorgasbord...good eats!

Mike

Cyclonic likes this.
  14. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I have only ever done Shady Maple once and was not overly impressed. We do like Miller's for breakfast, which is only on the weekends. We were surprise upon taking my nephews on our last visit that kids ate free.

Country Acres is our go to spot in the area, which we visit several times a summer for family. Of course, being that we are smaller, we really like the spots up on the hill above the office, which are small, but nicely spaced and shady, and overlook a farm field.

mdcamping likes this.