Is there a difference between a 3.73 locking axle and a 4.30?

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by MelindaK, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I currently tow approximately 8500 lbs with a Tundra. The Tundra has 5.7L V8 381 hp/401 lb-ft with a 4.300 rear diff. Looking at purchasing a Ford F-250 gas 4X2 with a 3.73 rear locking axle. Will I get a better ride with the F250? The Tundra is rated to tow 10,000 lbs and I had to add air bags to the rear end. The Ford is rated to tow 12,000 lbs. Will the 3.73 rear locking axle be an issue? Would it be beneficial to upgrade to the F-250?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I can't give you any info on which vehicle would be best for towing in your situation. Both Ford and Toyota make very fine trucks and it's up to the individual as to which one they like best and that fits their needs, etc. As for the difference in rear axle ratios I can speak from my old drag racing days. A 4.30 ratio will give you better low end acceleration but also lower gas mileage. A 3.73 ratio will still provide decent acceleration but will also provide a tad better mileage plus give you a higher top end speed. Not that you are looking for a higher top end speed. Or are you........ :rolleyes: (Just joking here of course). Anyway, For towing my bet would be to go with a truck that offers a lower gearing in the rear end. Where you need the power and torque is at the bottom end, not the top end...........

Bankshot................(aka Terry)

3. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

BankShot, thank you. To get the lower end I would either have to order the truck or move up to a diesel. Since three fourths of my driving is non-towing maybe the 3.73 would be better because of gas mileage...decisions, decisions.

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I tow with a 3.73 and 75% of my driving is non towing also. I also tow about 70% of specs on truck with 165K millage with no problems so far.

Mike

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Now that you mention that you only tow about 25% of your driving time that gives us a tad more to go on and like mdcamping stated above, your best bet would no doubt be a vehicle with a 3.73 rear axle. I drive a Ford F150 4x4 and I ordered it with a tow package and a 3.73 rear axle ratio. So what happens, we go out and purchase a Class A and then I found out real fast that I can't even tow the beast with the truck............. :rolleyes: Good luck with your purchase MelindaK, let us know what you end up buying and how you like it....................

BankShot................(aka Terry)

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

One thing I wouldn't recommend is to tow your truck at 100% capacity with 3.08 gears, not that I have ever done that in the past. ;)

Mike

7. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I think I am going to go with the F250 with the 3.73 rear axle. I will let you know how it works out.