Make RVTW stop popping up?

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by dbnck, Oct 9, 2017.

1. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

I have to say, it's really annoying that when I go to the RV Park Reviews website, a new window for Trip Wizard pops up, unbidden. Maybe there are enough people who don't mind it that it generates enough business, but it sure leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#1 dbnck, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2017
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I think a fixed banner ad would be much less annoying than the pop-up. The pop-up irritation factor far outweighs any attention grabbing value in my opinion.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you run your browser with the pop-up blocker enabled you won't see popups. I use Chrome and have never been bothered by this popup.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I run AdBlock Plus on FireFox and never see any ads here at all, but obviously not everyone does that. And I expect the folks at Social Knowledge would much prefer that no one run any ad blockers here, and my suggestion might help with that goal... ;)

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I don't know about Firefox, but Chrome has a built-in popup blocker; no plugin needed. It's getting more difficult to run ad blockers because more and more sites are refusing to let you have access unless you turn your blocker off. But those requests don't appear to apply to Chrome's internal popup blocker. See the attached screen shot if you have an interest in the Chrome blocker.
    popups.JPG

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

If Chrome were more to my liking or could be configured to my liking, I might even switch to it. As it is... :)

Oh, and I should have mentioned that Firefox does have a native pop-up blocker.

7. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

I also use Firefox and AdBlock Plus, and don't want to use Chrome. The RV Trip Wizard popup is intermittent--it won't happen for a while, and then it starts popping up again. It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.

I obviously don't care for ads, and am not going to feel more kindly toward ones that flash or whatever, and am definitely not going to feel more kindly toward ones that open in a new window that I have to make an effort to close, and spend brainpower trying to figure out where they're coming from.

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Make sure you have the Firefox pop-up blocker enabled. I don't recall if it's on by default or not.

9. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

It took a while for me to find the setting, but the pop-up blocker wasn't enabled. I don't know if it's like that by default or not, but I turned it on, and haven't had it happen again, but since it's been random, you never know.

Aah--I delayed in posting this, and went to look at some reviews, and just noticed the RV Trip Wizard is there. I checked, and the popup blocker is enabled. Drat.

10. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I'm sorry the promotion is bothering you. It's set on a cookie so it should only show once a month. So make sure to not delete your cookies or it will reappear sooner.

#10 Andy R, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I use the latest FIrefox and have pop up blocking on and yet every so often when I log off RVRP this popup is there right after I close out. I have tried every way I can think of to get rid of it to no avail so guess I will just live with it like the many other things we all dislike in today's electronic world. Another thing that really gets my old goat is when I am on a given webite perusing a product, etc. and log off, within a few minutes I get a pop up from that company telling me that they "noticed I was window shopping". Camping World is a great one for doing this and it gets really annoying to know that what you are doing on the internet can be, and is being, watched by BIG BROTHER................

BankShot..................(aka Terry)

12. Andy R

Andy R
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I will ask our developers if we can put in a switch to disable this for logged in users (in your profile somewhere).

13. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

So my choice is to keep your cookie, or put up with the annoying extra window opening? Gah.

Also, it appears the subject line of my original post was changed--I didn't even realize this was my thread because I didn't know what RVTW is (I figured it out after some noodling). Is there a reason "RVTW" is so much better than "RV Trip Wizard" that it warranted editing a month after it was originally posted?

14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think we all need to be aware that pop up advertising has bevome the way advertising is nowadays. Yes it's annoying and I for one hate popups, especially when they pop up and take over the page as some do as you are typing or looking at something you are interested in, etc. I don't mind the small ones that pop up off on the sides of the page but they are still annoying. I would hope the folks that handle this sort of thing at RVPR will try to do something to prevent at least the biggest abusers of this from continuing on but I also think that in some cases we are all just going to have to get used to them and just hit the old "delete key" when they do pop up. And speaking of advertising/commercials, how about when you sit down to watch a 2 hour movie or special on TV and have to put up with half that time being commercials. Thankfully a DVR takes care of that if you record the program for about an hour and then watch it as you can fast forward thru all the commercials, or at least the ones that either insult your intelligence or are just plain stupid...........o_O

BankShot................(aka Terry)

15. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

As I mentioned in a previous post, using Chrome prevents this pop-up entirely. You may not like Chrome for other reasons, but in this case it works well.

16. dbnck

dbnck
    Expand Collapse

As I said above, RV Trip Wizard comes up in a new window and I'm working from memory, but I think it doesn't come up until you leave the RV Park Reviews website, or something like that. It took a while for me to figure out which website was serving up the new window. It's the only ad that does this (and the only one I'm complaining about), but I now know that RV Park Reviews and RV Trip Wizard are owned by the same company, so I don't think this particular "biggest abuser" will have action taken against it.

17. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You are correct on that dbnck as that's when it happens with me also, when I leave the RVPR website only then does the full screen pop up appear. And it doesn't happen every single time just every fourth or fifth time I am on the site and leave it does it appear.........

Regards, BankShot.....................(aka Terry)

18. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have noticed the trip wizard popping up, though I have not been paying much attention to it. I think it pops up shortly after I am on this site. (not logged in)

I doesn't do it every time though, this is somewhat annoying but certainly not any kind of deal breaker.

Mike

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Not to criticize our site, but I thought I'd just report when I see the Trip Wizard window pop up. I never see it on Firefox, but if I am using IE, it pops up every time when RVPR is opened. And if I close the TW window, it has sometimes reopened a short time later even though I have not closed and reopened the main site. And I do have an ad blocker installed.