Thousand Island National Park, Ontario & Montreal

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mdcamping, Oct 18, 2017.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thinking about trips for next summer, looking for campground recommendations at Thousand Island NP. We would like to spend a few days kayaking the St Lawrence River area and maybe some biking. Is three days enough? any must see things that you would recommend.

Montreal:
    Looking for campground recommendations close to Montreal. Is three days enough? Do they have a subway system similar to Boston/NY/Washington that we might be able to take advantage of? Any must things to see that you would recommend?

My Initial itinerary is to travel up I-87 in NY to Montreal (may stop 1 or 2 nights in Lake George area) then after Montreal head west to 1000 Island NP.

Total trip time 9 days

Thanks everyone for your replies
    Mike

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - - - Don't know nuttin' 'bout that area but can I hitch a ride with you and go anyway........:D
    Sounds like a great trip, have a great time when you do go.................

Al the best, Terry.................. (aka Bankshot)

3. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mike,

They do have a subway/rail network as well as a good bus system. Arguably, the public transit is the best way to get around the city. A three consecutive day pass for the busses and Metro is currently $18 (Cdn) which probably equates to about $13-14 US. This gives you unlimited use of the network. Here is the link for the information site (in English). http://www.stm.info/en/about/financial_and_corporate_information/about-stm

mdcamping likes this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Thanks Hutch for the info, got lots of research to do on this trip and a bunch of stuff needs to fall in place... one big one is $$$$$ :D

Mike

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

When we've been in Montreal we've always stayed at parks fairly close to subway/train stations. Montreal has a great museum and attractions visitor pass that gets you into lots of tourist sights. Whether or not 3 days is enough depends on your interest in museums, botanical gardens and that sort of stuff.

Here's info on the museum pass: http://museesmontreal.org/en/passes/the-passes

mdcamping likes this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

7. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Unless there is a huge uptake in the value of the Cdn $ (I can only hope) I think you'll be ok. Currently the U$ is trading at about U$0.75 for a loonie. We're planning on heading to NYC next summer and that will hurt my wallet exchanging Cdn $ to U$. :(

mdcamping likes this.