A couple of suggestions.

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Fitzjohnfan, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Here are a couple of items that might make the site even more helpful:

1) can you add a glossary of terms used in the forum and reviews?
    I just read a review that said (roughly), "the price was great, especially since we used PA". Seasoned RVers would know that I'd Passport America, but newbies might not.

2) This one is a bit more iffy, so I understand if you veto it. What about adding a page for links to other RV related sites that can be useful? Here are some examples:
    Gasbuddy.com
    http://www.atlasobscura.com
    One of Social Media's sites I found helpful (along with alot of their RV sites) was:
    http://www.factorytoursusa.com
    Then there are the usual sites like irv2, Good Sam, FMCA, camping world, etc.

I know #2 might be a bad idea because it might become a full time job verifying the links are still good, but it might still prove useful.

What are your thoughts?

BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I think a Glossary of Terms would be a great idea. As Fitzjohnfan pointed out above, most of us who have been RVing for a while know what most of the terms used stand for but even saying that there are still a few that have me scratching my old noggin at times. A newbie would be tearing their hair out trying to figure out what they mean. For example we all know what DP stands for but someone who just purchased their first TT might not. Believe it or not many years ago prior to becoming a member of the RV society if someone had told me they had a big "TA DP RV" I would have only known what RV stood for. Bet there are a few RVers that don't even know what TA stands for......... :rolleyes: I doubt it would be much trouble to add a "sidebar" on the main page of the reviews section that would accomplish this...................

Bankshot.................(aka Terry)

3. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

I like the glossary idea!
    Many of the abbreviations have taken me quite some time to figure out and for many I still have only guesses. Heck, it took me a forum (or three) to figure out what a "toad" was or that a TV wasn't something to be watched from a comfy chair. I don't have a clue what Bankshot's three abbreviations above mean (DP, TA DP RV or TA) and I see "DW" a lot and I have to assume it doesn't stand for dirty wife.;)

BankShot likes this.
  4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey RickB - You asked, I shall provide the answer. DP = Diesel Pusher, TA = Tag Axle. And of course TT = Travel Trailer. Now as to the DW, we all know that means Dish Washer, where have you been all these year, not in the kitchen that's for sure........... :p

Aprons and DT's to you (that would be Dish Towels), BankShot.............(aka Terry)

mdcamping and RickB like this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

There are others too:

Government land, some of which can be free or low cost camping:
    COE - core of engineers
    BLM - bureau of Land management
    NPS - National Park Service

Camping discount clubs:
    GS - Good Sam's
    FMCA - Family Motor Coach Association

Also definition of items like "park model"? I've never seen one, so is it a building, an RV that stays in one place, ???

Thanks,
    Chris G.

6. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Would you believe that many moons ago we used to send reviews back asking reviewers to spell out acronyms that we felt many readers would not know? However, with the introduction of the RVPR app and sending in reviews on smartphones we are seeing many more abbreviations, and we have become more lax in accepting them since this is the way texting is done. It is easy to see how much easier it is to type BLM rather than Bureau of Land Management on a cell phone, so I think your idea has some merit. Shoot, I didn't know one of the ones Bankshot listed. Course knowing him, he probably made it up just to tease us. :D

BankShot likes this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry I'm curious, towing a travel trailer makes me not to familiar with Tag Axle, what purpose would you need to use this term?

Also on a another note, When I see TA the first thing that comes to mind is Trip Adviser, mostly because it gets brought up quite often on this and the other RV forums.

Mike

9. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a MH but a tag axle are the 36'+ MH with the three axles (two at the rear). I believe their purpose is to enable an increased GVWR (Gross Vehicle weight Rating - another one for the list). This is the maximum operating weight specified by the manufacturer and includes everything in the vehicle (fuel, passengers, dog, food, iPod - you name it, it is included in the GVWR). It is the very back axle and does not provide any drive for the vehicle. You can have two or four tires on a TA dependant upon the manufacturer.

BankShot likes this.
  10. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It appears that Hutch333id answered your question and explained it quite well. I believe that any Class A motorhome, or for that matter any RV with two rear axles in the back, are classified as a Tag Axle vehicle for the purposes he listed. I know what it costs to replace all six tires on our coach and I don't even want to think about shelling out the bucks for 4 additional tires but hey, there is that old saying that says, "The more money you spend, the mo betta you can feel"............:D

I be fine with how I feel not spending those additional bucks.............

BankShot................(aka Terry)

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Would I do that?......... :p

Regards. Terry................(aka BankShot)

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Okay, that makes sense now. I have 2 axles on my TT. Tag Axle or maybe Tandem axle might be used also.

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

YES!:)

Paythebill, BankShot and NYDutch like this.
  14. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I was always under the impression that the term "tandem" was used when both axles were drive and tag was when there was only one drive axle and a trailing axle that was a non drive. I just did a google and that doesn't seem to be the case. The terms are synonymous. You are correct Mike.

Paythebill likes this.
  15. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I AM CRUSHED.........:(

Bank "has been" Shot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  16. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Wow, I was way out in left field on the meaning of TA. I can assure you it had nothing to do with an axle...:confused::oops:

BankShot likes this.